• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woulard Seeking Waver to Play this Season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

He was a project QB out of HS, and there's no way to know if that's changed since UCLA presumably fizzled out because he didn't develop the way they thought he would. I hope he's the savior, but this is not the first QB we've gotten that got a ton of hype out of HS but hasn't shown it on the field.

How was the MVP of the Elite 11 a "project QB". Especially looking at the former QBs chosen for it.

Notable Elite 11 Finals alumni include Andrew Luck, Matthew Stafford, Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Leinart, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Matthew Gladman, Kyle Orton and Troy Smith.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_RISE_Elite_11

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

I don't really understand the 'sit a year' notion.  He either gets the waiver and competes for the no. 1 job, or he doesn't get the waiver.  If he gets the waiver and can't learn the offense, he won't play regardless.

I don't really understand the 'sit a year' notion.  He either gets the waiver and competes for the no. 1 job, or he doesn't get the waiver.  If he gets the waiver and can't learn the offense, he won't play regardless.

That is a deterrence factor so that athletes aren't changing schools like they're changing underwear.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

He was a project QB out of HS, and there's no way to know if that's changed since UCLA presumably fizzled out because he didn't develop the way they thought he would. I hope he's the savior, but this is not the first QB we've gotten that got a ton of hype out of HS but hasn't shown it on the field.

How was the MVP of the Elite 11 a "project QB". Especially looking at the former QBs chosen for it.

Notable Elite 11 Finals alumni include Andrew Luck, Matthew Stafford, Jameis Winston, Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Leinart, Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow, Vince Young, Matthew Gladman, Kyle Orton and Troy Smith.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_RISE_Elite_11

There are plenty of players that participated - and even did well - in the Elite 11 yet amounted to nothing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_11#History_of_Elite_11

Surely you can understand how a player might both win a skills competition in high school yet still be considered a project QB at the next level, right? For example, here's an excerpt from an article about his commitment to UCLA:

"Woulard has a lot of development to fully be ready to be a good collegiate quarterback, but he has all the tools in place to excel. Woulard also beat out numerous other great quarterbacks to win Elite 11 MVP honors in the famed summer camp, so all the talent is there. It just might take a year or two for him to be ready."

I hope he has developed into the next Andrew Luck or Matthew Stafford, but it seems insane to me to make that comparison based on the information we have.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

So when should be be expecting the ruling on his waiver?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

So when should be be expecting the ruling on his waiver?

I would guess after Brady appeals to the Supreme Courts.....

• Upvote 1

One or two years to start is normal for even the best QBs coming out of high school, that doesn't mean they're project quarterbacks. They have to learn the system, which is different and more complex than they had in high school. By that definition every every QB is a project quarterback out of high school. I don't think that's the right way to characterize it.

Edited by slick1ru2

One or two years to start is normal for even the best QBs coming out of high school, that doesn't mean they're project quarterbacks. They have to learn the system, which is different and more complex than they had in high school. By that definition every every QB is a project quarterback out of high school. I don't think that's the right way to characterize it.

I disagree and I think it all depends on the situation.

There have been plenty of true freshman to play right away and if a team is short at the QB position like we are, you're going to see plenty of freshman start. Here's a quick reminder of those youngsters that played right away.

Brett Hundley UCLA 

Teddy Bridewater L'Ville 

Marcus Mariota Oregon 

Cory Robinson Troy 

Aaron Murray UGA 

Colton Browning ULM 

Danny Obrien Maryland 

Andrew Luck Stanford 

Matt Barkley USC 

Kellen More Boise St. 

Colin Kapernick Nevada 

Case Keenum Houston 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If we have a guy that is anywhere near the list you provided, I'd be ecstatic.

• Upvote 1

If we have a guy that is anywhere near the list you provided, I'd be ecstatic.

Well if I recall(not that it matters now) but couldn't we have had Teddy B but Skip said he wouldn't give him the starting spot and Coach Strong did.