• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woulard Seeking Waver to Play this Season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

It's been discussed unofficially plenty of places (check V5, 247, other back channels if you're interested), but some quotes I pulled from official newspaper articles after 2 minutes of looking - they certainly don't say explicitly, but they give you some idea about his struggles to develop:

But at times this spring, the planned progress from last year has seemed negligible. He has struggled to advance in his reads and still has trouble dealing with a pass rush. He has skied screen passes and missed open receivers downfield.

"[Asiantii is] swimming," Mora said. "He's swimming mentally."

“He stalled a little bit,†UCLA coach Jim Mora said last week. “Does it concern me? A little. But I think it’s common. You reach a plateau, and then you have to break through it and then you ascend again.â€

I have no idea if any of those rumors are true. I don't pretend to argue that he is going to fail, just like it's crazy to anoint him the savior when we know nothing about him other than he had a lot of tools coming out of high school. But - to me, at least - he looks like a less promising prospect now than he did coming out of HS. I'm glad he transferred in, I just think expectations should be reasonable at the QB position because they simply haven't been over the past 4 or 5 years.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Pro quarterbacks struggle with reads and a pass rush. Doesn't mean that they can't learn a playbook.

Josh Freeman can't learn a playbook. And he still put up stupid numbers at Kansas State.

Pro quarterbacks struggle with reads and a pass rush. Doesn't mean that they can't learn a playbook.

Josh Freeman can't learn a playbook. And he still put up stupid numbers at Kansas State.

Of course one doesn't necessarily mean the other. Things can be overcome. I hope he develops into a star. But we've seen no evidence that he has done that yet.

If you really want something that direct...

The knock on Woulard has been his ability to master the playbook. He's a workout warrior, but hasn't been able to translate it to the field.
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Simple!  You bring in two quarterbacks a year until we find one.  The more the better.  If he beats out the competition then great, if not, next up.  I agree that no would should anoint him the QB savior of USF.  We did that with White after the Houston game and now he is throwing the rock for another team.  

Edited by ArmyBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

This kid has a greater chance at being Carlton Hill 2.0 than any sort of serviceable QB. :popcorn:

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

He also has a great chance at being the best QB on our roster. 37 days can't come soon enough.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738
  • Days Won:  1

My hope is he gets the waiver, but Flowers or Bench wins the job and has success.  If the season turns out to be miserable, I want to see what Woulard can do by mid-season.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

If you really want something that direct...

The knock on Woulard has been his ability to master the playbook. He's a workout warrior, but hasn't been able to translate it to the field.

If you c&p from another source, please link back to it ........ Thanks.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

There's no way he get the waiver approved.

Aaron Lynch got his denied and I don't see this being any different as there doesn't appear to be enough of a hardship to approved it.