• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone miss Holtz yet?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'm just eyeballing it but his offense has 4 seniors, 3 juniors, 3 redshirt sophomores and 1 true sophomore. that includes his transfer qb and griffin.

his defense has 5 seniors,4 juniors and 2 sophomore starters.

certainly doesn't sound like our type of rebuild where we have to play true sophomores and true freshman everywhere. I would bet most redshirt sophomores and above came from Dykes with the exception of sterling and their qb transfer. I bet around 17 of his starters came from Dykes. the true sophomores could be Dykes guys too that holtz just kept in the fold.

probably very similar to his total "rebuild' here where he road leavitt's coattails for a couple of years. unlike Taggart who's guys are already taking over for Holtz's guys.

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/louisiana-tech/90889

Edited by Bull94

he took over a team that went 9-4 the year before he got there. Not sure the reporter understands the definition of rebuild.

Not sure you do either. The team that went 9-4 returned 6 out of 24 starters. So Holtz had 75% first time starters last year.

https://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2013/JAN13/DBJan21.html

sorry but rebuilding doesn't mean replacing starters. plenty of players on the 2 deep get extensive playing time. I bet he returned quite a few player minutes from a team that went 9-4 and whose coach was hired away for a better job.

he lucked into a senior QB transfer that will be long gone after this year.

So when kids transfer, its has nothing to do with the coach of the team he transfers too? The guy who chose to play at LA Tech didn't even know Holtz was the coach?

And what is the definition of a rebuild? Seems to me its pretty simple. He is attempting to re(again)build(construct). He was left with jack **** from a team that peaked at 9-4 and is attempting "rebuild" it.

I didn't say he had nothing to do with it. He got a transfer from iowa that worked out. we got Bench and well you know the story there.

sorry but you don't ever rebuild a successful program. sure he had to REPLACE starters but you don't rebuild. Plenty of talent on that roster and I bet if you looked at their 2 deep then you would see plenty of experience as measured by player minutes. Sure they had to sit behind even more talent but there is a reason why successful coaches don't have to REBUILD after a successful run.

Come on man, throw in the towel. Sonny Dykes was there three years and went 5-7, 8-5, 9-4 and you act like it was a Mike Bellotti to Chip Kelly handoff. 2 winnings seasons with a peak of 9-4 and losing 75% of the starters and you refuse to acknowledge it was a rebuild? And you know they have plenty of talent on the roster? You haven't known a fact yet about LA Tech and you just inherently know they have a program oozing with talent? Sonny Dykes's three recruiting class rankings on 24/7: 2009 - 80, 2010 - 83, 2011 - 114. Yeah, the cupboard was crazy stocked.
recruiting rankings are worthless.

please don't act like you know anything about their situation either. you can quote a number from Phil steele which didn't consider Dykes leading rusher as a starter. oh he happens to be Holtz leading rusher this year too.

why don't you look at this years starters and tell me how many of them were on Dykes' roster? wouldn't that give you a better idea of who he has "rebuilt" the program with?

He lucked out with a QB transfer that will be gone next year. Good for Holtz.

Just say, "My hatred of Skip Holtz makes it impossible for me to look at the situation at LA Tech objectively."

just say my love of skip holtz makes it impossible to look at their situation objectively.

he doesn't have 1 freshman starting. only has a couple of true sophomores starting(they actually could have still been Dykes recruits that holtz signed)

that's not a rebuild. he got lucky with a qb transfer that will be gone after this year.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

Guess Holtz lucked out when he beat ranked Virginia Tech, ranked West Virginia, ranked Boise State, ranked Notre Dame, ranked Houston, Miami,  etc. etc. That was all due to inherited talent.

Edited by bullsfan1983

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I still don't get the hate. Holtz was a miserable failure at USF. Acknowledging his success elsewhere doesn't take that away or make CWT better.

look at his 2 deep. it would be loaded with young players if it was a rebuild. he has 1 true freshman and 2 red shirt freshman on his 2 deep. he has 3 true sophomores.

the rest are red shirt sophomores and higher. with the exception of griffin and the qb I bet the rest are all Dykes guys.

I still don't get the hate. Holtz was a miserable failure at USF. Acknowledging his success elsewhere doesn't take that away or make CWT better.

no one said it does but he left Taggart in a far worse situation than Dykes left him . just because phil steele said they had less starters doesn't mean a thing.

we have 5 true sophomores starting. we have 2 redshirt freshman starting and we have 1 true freshman starting. that's not the 2 deep. that's just our starters.

that's what a rebuild looks like.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

It's a pointless conversation discussion situations of what is a rebuild and what isn't in college when generally players are only starters at their positions for a couple years anyway and teams are in constant rebuild mode depending on recruiting. LA Tech recruited pretty poorly prior to Holtz's arrival so I guess they were either hidden gems or he has adapted his schemes to fit the players he has on the roster in order to be successful. Novel concept.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Taking over a 9 and 4 team is not a rebuild.

Re-image - yes.

Rearrange - sure.

Rebuild - nope

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Taking over a 9 and 4 team is not a rebuild.

Re-image - yes.

Rearrange - sure.

Rebuild - nope

Link?