• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone miss Holtz yet?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

who committed in July of 2012 when Sonny Dykes was the coach. and was recruited by Stan Eggen who was with Dykes and stayed at La Tech.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/louisianatech/football/recruiting/player-Trent-Taylor-134060

I said Develop Talent. CWT has numerous players that are Sophomores from Hotlz including 'his' qb Mike White.

Mike White was never offered by Holtz or USF until he took the La Tech job. Taggart called him with the offer the day he won the state championship

Like I said if skip could develop talent he would still be here.

Point is, Taggart didn't find White, he was on their list.

And I say if Skip Holtz knew a better DC he'd still be here.

skip holtz had no plan after BJ went down. he relied on BJ to make plays off his shear athleticism.

skip holtz was a lazy recruiter that would rather play golf in utah than be on campus for our biggest recruiting event all year. he would rather sign local catholic school kids and then give scholarships to multiple walk-ons every year than go out and work hard to land talent. that was his downfall.

having a competent DC might have hindered his demise but he was doomed no matter what. after Leavitt's talent left holtz would have been done either way.

Dykes recruited the 113th ranked class in 2011 and 98th ranked class in 2012. I don't know if you can exactly classify that as Holtz riding coattails or Dykes leaving the cupboards stocked. Can't be possible that Dykes and Holtz are both decent coaches who can get good performances out of lesser talent? Do you think Taggart would have the same success coaching a team built on average recruiting classes in the 100s? Don't think so.

anybody who believes recruiting rankings are anything but backward looking is dumb enough to shell out $10/month for them.

And what contemporary rating do you suggest? How else, in the present time, do you judge talent? Tell us all.

I don't judge talent. I'm not a college coach. Bobby Bowden said the recruiting services were the beginning of his downfall. he was too worried about how many stars a kid had and not enough about his own evaluations.

Nick Saban has tons of camps every year where he is able to identify talent. do you think he cares what rivals says?

just look how low TCU classes were rated before they started winning. same with cincy and kelly. same with boise state. they just start rating recruits higher for the coaches that start winning.if a player gets an offer from nick saban then they know he is good. give him a 4 star. Mike White wasn't rated by the services until he got an offer from Mississippi State then they rate him 3 stars. if you think they can quantify a class and rank them accurately into the 100's then I have some swamp land for you.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

who committed in July of 2012 when Sonny Dykes was the coach. and was recruited by Stan Eggen who was with Dykes and stayed at La Tech.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/louisianatech/football/recruiting/player-Trent-Taylor-134060

I said Develop Talent. CWT has numerous players that are Sophomores from Hotlz including 'his' qb Mike White.

Mike White was never offered by Holtz or USF until he took the La Tech job. Taggart called him with the offer the day he won the state championship

skip holtz had no plan after BJ went down. he relied on BJ to make plays off his shear athleticism.

skip holtz was a lazy recruiter that would rather play golf in utah than be on campus for our biggest recruiting event all year. he would rather sign local catholic school kids and then give scholarships to multiple walk-ons every year than go out and work hard to land talent. that was his downfall.

having a competent DC might have hindered his demise but he was doomed no matter what. after Leavitt's talent left holtz would have been done either way.

Because a QB has never in the history of football gone down with injury and the backup was not anywhere near as good. Do you even watch football outside of USF?

Dykes recruited the 113th ranked class in 2011 and 98th ranked class in 2012. I don't know if you can exactly classify that as Holtz riding coattails or Dykes leaving the cupboards stocked. Can't be possible that Dykes and Holtz are both decent coaches who can get good performances out of lesser talent? Do you think Taggart would have the same success coaching a team built on average recruiting classes in the 100s? Don't think so.

anybody who believes recruiting rankings are anything but backward looking is dumb enough to shell out $10/month for them.

And what contemporary rating do you suggest? How else, in the present time, do you judge talent? Tell us all.

I don't judge talent. I'm not a college coach. Bobby Bowden said the recruiting services were the beginning of his downfall. he was too worried about how many stars a kid had and not enough about his own evaluations.

Nick Saban has tons of camps every year where he is able to identify talent. do you think he cares what rivals says?

just look how low TCU classes were rated before they started winning. same with cincy and kelly. same with boise state. they just start rating recruits higher for the coaches that start winning.

So no. You have no idea. Thanks.

just look how low TCU classes were rated before they started winning. same with cincy and kelly. same with boise state. they just start rating recruits higher for the coaches that start winning.

I'm not the one that uses bogus recruiting rankings to prove some point. if you're naive enough to believe in them then good for you.

I'm not the one that uses bogus recruiting rankings to prove some point. if you're naive enough to believe in them then good for you.

Yes, you use nothing to prove points but hindsight when talking of making contemporary decisions. Useless.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Who wants to post the links to the numerous studies done year after year proving that recruiting rankings are pretty accurate in the big picture?

It would be interesting to look at the demise of the Big East and compare it to recruiting. Leavitt was always selling that the Big East is a BCS conference. Hey, the big programs are overlooking you but you can go to a big bowl game at USF, prove them wrong. That went away while Hotlz was here, replaced with uncertainty with the raids and defections and the future looked like USF would drop down with the rest of the non-BCS teams. Of course, for some recruits that isn't a factor. But when the other 3 BCS schools are after them, no longer on equal footing.

Because a QB has never in the history of football gone down with injury and the backup was not anywhere near as good. Do you even watch football outside of USF?

he was a senior genius. he didn't have a plan for the next year. he put 2 QBs on scholarship in 3 years. One of which left and the other clearly wasn't all that talented.

Who wants to post the links to the numerous studies done year after year proving that recruiting rankings are pretty accurate in the big picture?

show me a study that shows they can accurately judge between 2 star players and below. I understand that Saban gets talent. I'm smart enough to rank them as 4 stars.I get why services put them at the top every year. Saban busts his tail to evaluate talent and they know he is good at it. if he gives you an offer than you are legit.

Show me a study that proves it can rank La Tech classes accurately.