• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone miss Holtz yet?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Who wants to post the links to the numerous studies done year after year proving that recruiting rankings are pretty accurate in the big picture?

show me a study that shows they can accurately judge between 2 star players and below. I understand that Saban gets talent. I'm smart enough to rank them as 4 stars.I get why services put them at the top every year. Saban busts his tail to evaluate talent and they know he is good at it. if he gives you an offer than you are legit.

Show me a study that proves it can rank La Tech classes accurately.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+recruiting+stars+matter

Pick your author.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I honestly think rating services are ridiculous and here is an example. skip's class last year was rated #84

he had 3 3-stars and the rest weren't rated. he had 21 signings.

that class was rated the same as Dykes class in 2011 that had 17 3-stars out of 25 signings. both at #84.

Dykes had no less than 8 3 stars in every class including one class with 17 of them and his best rating was equal to skips worst at La Tech and he had 3 3 stars last year and 7 the year before. none of the others are rated.

Who wants to post the links to the numerous studies done year after year proving that recruiting rankings are pretty accurate in the big picture?

show me a study that shows they can accurately judge between 2 star players and below. I understand that Saban gets talent. I'm smart enough to rank them as 4 stars.I get why services put them at the top every year. Saban busts his tail to evaluate talent and they know he is good at it. if he gives you an offer than you are legit.

Show me a study that proves it can rank La Tech classes accurately.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+recruiting+stars+matter

Pick your author.

again show me statistical proof that rivals or any service can determine how good a class is when the majority is made up of kids they don't even rate. I'm not talking about 4 and 5 star players that go to huge football schools.

Dykes signed 34 3 stars while at La tech. the only players ever rated.

skip signed 3 3 stars last year. of course he was able to hang onto 7 in the class before. no doubt they already had offers from Dykes. so Dykes averaged 11.3 3 stars per year and Holtz has averaged 5. the rest of their classes weren't rated.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

who committed in July of 2012 when Sonny Dykes was the coach. and was recruited by Stan Eggen who was with Dykes and stayed at La Tech.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/louisianatech/football/recruiting/player-Trent-Taylor-134060

I said Develop Talent. CWT has numerous players that are Sophomores from Hotlz including 'his' qb Mike White.

Mike White was never offered by Holtz or USF until he took the La Tech job. Taggart called him with the offer the day he won the state championship

Like I said if skip could develop talent he would still be here.

Point is, Taggart didn't find White, he was on their list.

And I say if Skip Holtz knew a better DC he'd still be here.

skip holtz had no plan after BJ went down. he relied on BJ to make plays off his shear athleticism.

skip holtz was a lazy recruiter that would rather play golf in utah than be on campus for our biggest recruiting event all year. he would rather sign local catholic school kids and then give scholarships to multiple walk-ons every year than go out and work hard to land talent. that was his downfall.

having a competent DC might have hindered his demise but he was doomed no matter what. after Leavitt's talent left holtz would have been done either way.

Because a QB has never in the history of football gone down with injury and the backup was not anywhere near as good. Do you even watch football outside of USF?

he was a senior genius. he didn't have a plan for the next year. he put 2 QBs on scholarship in 3 years. One of which left and the other clearly wasn't all that talented.

So tell me, how do you MAKE a quality QB sign? When your conference is collapsing. Not to mention that when it comes to QBs, both Grothe and Daniels were statistical outliers, in the top 5 of total offense in the entire history of the Big East. Its like expecting Miami to have someone like Dan Marino in the wings.

who committed in July of 2012 when Sonny Dykes was the coach. and was recruited by Stan Eggen who was with Dykes and stayed at La Tech.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/louisianatech/football/recruiting/player-Trent-Taylor-134060

I said Develop Talent. CWT has numerous players that are Sophomores from Hotlz including 'his' qb Mike White.

Mike White was never offered by Holtz or USF until he took the La Tech job. Taggart called him with the offer the day he won the state championship

skip holtz had no plan after BJ went down. he relied on BJ to make plays off his shear athleticism.

skip holtz was a lazy recruiter that would rather play golf in utah than be on campus for our biggest recruiting event all year. he would rather sign local catholic school kids and then give scholarships to multiple walk-ons every year than go out and work hard to land talent. that was his downfall.

having a competent DC might have hindered his demise but he was doomed no matter what. after Leavitt's talent left holtz would have been done either way.

Because a QB has never in the history of football gone down with injury and the backup was not anywhere near as good. Do you even watch football outside of USF?

he was a senior genius. he didn't have a plan for the next year. he put 2 QBs on scholarship in 3 years. One of which left and the other clearly wasn't all that talented.

So tell me, how do you MAKE a quality QB sign? When your conference is collapsing. Not to mention that when it comes to QBs, both Grothe and Daniels were statistical outliers, in the top 5 of total offense in the entire history of the Big East. Its like expecting Miami to have someone like Dan Marino in the wings.

you have nothing but excuses for Holtz. he was a terrible recruiter and mediocre game day coach. he treated our job like it was his retirement.

I honestly think rating services are ridiculous and here is an example. skip's class last year was rated #84

that class was rated the same as Dykes class in 2011 that had 17 3-stars out of 25 signings. both at #84.

Dykes had no less than 8 3 stars in every class including one class with 17 of them and his best rating was equal to skips worst at La Tech and he had 3 3 stars last year and 7 the year before. none of the others are rated.

Because rankings are comparative for that year. Its compared to the talent of that year. You can't  compare a class rank in 2013 to 2011 and expect the exact same number of 2s, 3s, etc.. Its in relation to the other schools for THAT year.

you have nothing but excuses for Holtz. he was a terrible recruiter and mediocre game day coach. he treated our job like it was his retirement.

You have nothing but selective hindsight and fail to grasp the whole picture.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  839
  • Days Won:  0

Apparently all it takes for success at the college level is for you predicessor to have 100+ rated recruiting classes and then you can ride his coattails. In fact player development at the college level is non-existant and your teams success is entirely based on who was the coach when that recruit signed on national signing day.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

shear athleticism

can-stock-photo_csp15301640.jpg

Because rankings are comparative for that year. Its compared to the talent of that year. You can't  compare a class rank in 2013 to 2011 and expect the exact same number of 2s, 3s, etc.. Its in relation to the other schools for THAT year.

you're kidding right? people compare classes from year to year all the time . sure maybe the rank is meaningless but I'm not the one that brought them up. I simply said that Dykes brought in far more 3 stars at La Tech than Holtz. That is comparable. He averaged more than twice as many 3 stars than Holtz has at La Tech.