• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone miss Holtz yet?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

he took over a team that went 9-4 the year before he got there. Not sure the reporter understands the definition of rebuild.

Not sure you do either. The team that went 9-4 returned 6 out of 24 starters. So Holtz had 75% first time starters last year.

https://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2013/JAN13/DBJan21.html

sorry but rebuilding doesn't mean replacing starters. plenty of players on the 2 deep get extensive playing time. I bet he returned quite a few player minutes from a team that went 9-4 and whose coach was hired away for a better job. Better coaches build depth meaning they don't have to do a rebuild.

he lucked into a senior QB transfer that will be long gone after this year.

Kansas State only returned 8 starters. I bet nobody would consider that a rebuild.

He returned all but 30 of them.  Teams like Alabama, FSU, ND can lose that many starters and make a quick recovery.  But at La Tech I find it hard to believe that they were that loaded with backups as good as the 1's.  Haters gonna hate.

When did USF ever lose that many starters in 1 year?  Never had that kind of depth to replace 16 starters.

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

he took over a team that went 9-4 the year before he got there. Not sure the reporter understands the definition of rebuild.

Not sure you do either. The team that went 9-4 returned 6 out of 24 starters. So Holtz had 75% first time starters last year.

sorry but rebuilding doesn't mean replacing starters. plenty of players on the 2 deep get extensive playing time. I bet he returned quite a few player minutes from a team that went 9-4 and whose coach was hired away for a better job.

So when kids transfer, its has nothing to do with the coach of the team he transfers too? The guy who chose to play at LA Tech didn't even know Holtz was the coach?

And what is the definition of a rebuild? Seems to me its pretty simple. He is attempting to re(again)build(construct). He was left with jack **** from a team that peaked at 9-4 and is attempting "rebuild" it.

I didn't say he had nothing to do with it. He got a transfer from iowa that worked out. we got Bench and well you know the story there.

sorry but you don't ever rebuild a successful program. sure he had to REPLACE starters but you don't rebuild. Plenty of talent on that roster and I bet if you looked at their 2 deep then you would see plenty of experience as measured by player minutes. Sure they had to sit behind even more talent but there is a reason why successful coaches don't have to REBUILD after a successful run.

sorry but rebuilding doesn't mean replacing starters. plenty of players on the 2 deep get extensive playing time. I bet he returned quite a few player minutes from a team that went 9-4 and whose coach was hired away for a better job.

So when kids transfer, its has nothing to do with the coach of the team he transfers too? The guy who chose to play at LA Tech didn't even know Holtz was the coach?

And what is the definition of a rebuild? Seems to me its pretty simple. He is attempting to re(again)build(construct). He was left with jack **** from a team that peaked at 9-4 and is attempting "rebuild" it.

I didn't say he had nothing to do with it. He got a transfer from iowa that worked out. we got Bench and well you know the story there.

sorry but you don't ever rebuild a successful program. sure he had to REPLACE starters but you don't rebuild. Plenty of talent on that roster and I bet if you looked at their 2 deep then you would see plenty of experience as measured by player minutes. Sure they had to sit behind even more talent but there is a reason why successful coaches don't have to REBUILD after a successful run.

Do you have any idea of how he graded out in the Md game and last weeks game?  Probably not as bad as you imagine.

sorry but rebuilding doesn't mean replacing starters. plenty of players on the 2 deep get extensive playing time. I bet he returned quite a few player minutes from a team that went 9-4 and whose coach was hired away for a better job. Better coaches build depth meaning they don't have to do a rebuild.

Kansas State only returned 8 starters. I bet nobody would consider that a rebuild.

He returned all but 30 of them.  Teams like Alabama, FSU, ND can lose that many starters and make a quick recovery.  But at La Tech I find it hard to believe that they were that loaded with backups as good as the 1's.  Haters gonna hate.

When did USF ever lose that many starters in 1 year?  Never had that kind of depth to replace 16 starters.

Kenneth Dixon their leading rusher this year and the year before Holtz arrived wasn't considered a starter according to Phil steele? strange.....

sorry but successful programs are generally left in good shape regardless of the # of starters that return.

Kenneth Dixon their leading rusher this year and the year before Holtz arrived wasn't considered a starter according to Phil steele? strange.....

sorry but successful programs are generally left in good shape regardless of the # of starters that return.

So La Tech is a successful program?

2008 9 - 5

2009 4 - 8

2010 5 - 7

2011 8 - 5

2012 9 - 3

2013 4 - 8

2014 6 - 3

Edited by CousinRicky

Do you have any idea of how he graded out in the Md game and last weeks game?  Probably not as bad as you imagine.

he would be rated the 125th passer in the country

So La Tech is a successful program?

yes they were under their previous coach or he would not have been hired away by Cal.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Come on man, throw in the towel. Sonny Dykes was there three years and went 5-7, 8-5, 9-4 and you act like it was a Mike Bellotti to Chip Kelly handoff. 2 winnings seasons with a peak of 9-4 and losing 75% of the starters and you refuse to acknowledge it was a rebuild? And you know they have plenty of talent on the roster? You haven't known a fact yet about LA Tech and you just inherently know they have a program oozing with talent? Sonny Dykes's three recruiting class rankings on 24/7: 2009 -  80, 2010 - 83, 2011 - 114. Yeah, the cupboard was crazy stocked.

Edited by JTrue

Come on man, throw in the towel. Sonny Dykes was there three years and went 5-7, 8-5, 9-4 and you act like it was a Mike Bellotti to Chip Kelly handoff. 2 winnings seasons with a peak of 9-4 and losing 75% of the starters and you refuse to acknowledge it was a rebuild? And you know they have plenty of talent on the roster? You haven't known a fact yet about LA Tech and you just inherently know they have a program oozing with talent? Sonny Dykes's three recruiting class rankings on 24/7: 2009 -  80, 2010 - 83, 2011 - 114. Yeah, the cupboard was crazy stocked.

recruiting rankings are worthless.

please don't act like you know anything about their situation either. you can quote a number from Phil steele which didn't consider Dykes leading rusher as a starter. oh he happens to be Holtz leading rusher this year too.

why don't you look at this years starters and tell me how many of them were on Dykes' roster? wouldn't that give you a better idea of who he has "rebuilt" the program with?

He lucked out with a QB transfer that will be gone next year. Good for Holtz.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Come on man, throw in the towel. Sonny Dykes was there three years and went 5-7, 8-5, 9-4 and you act like it was a Mike Bellotti to Chip Kelly handoff. 2 winnings seasons with a peak of 9-4 and losing 75% of the starters and you refuse to acknowledge it was a rebuild? And you know they have plenty of talent on the roster? You haven't known a fact yet about LA Tech and you just inherently know they have a program oozing with talent? Sonny Dykes's three recruiting class rankings on 24/7: 2009 - 80, 2010 - 83, 2011 - 114. Yeah, the cupboard was crazy stocked.

recruiting rankings are worthless.

please don't act like you know anything about their situation either. you can quote a number from Phil steele which didn't consider Dykes leading rusher as a starter. oh he happens to be Holtz leading rusher this year too.

why don't you look at this years starters and tell me how many of them were on Dykes' roster? wouldn't that give you a better idea of who he has "rebuilt" the program with?

He lucked out with a QB transfer that will be gone next year. Good for Holtz.

Just say, "My hatred of Skip Holtz makes it impossible for me to look at the situation at LA Tech objectively."