• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Voodoo Five column: "Dear USF Fans: It's Time To Give A **** And Show Up"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

We live in an area that has a lot of activities competing with our attendance. When we aren't winning, the average fan doesn't want to waste their time showing up as it isn't fun, nor is it the hip thing for the day. That's just how it is. Until we start winning, the hardcore 15-25k will remain, while the bandwagon will spend their money elsewhere. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,581
  • Days Won:  29

I support USF FOOTBALL, simple as that!

I don't support a college football team IF ...

USF FOOTBALL means a lot to me. I don't support my child, wife, family, friends if ...

Look around the NCAA, lots of fans feel this way. We just don't have the fan base yet. Same base we had from 1996 - F'n sad!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I support USF FOOTBALL, simple as that!

I don't support a college football team IF ...

USF FOOTBALL means a lot to me. I don't support my child, wife, family, friends if ...

Look around the NCAA, lots of fans feel this way. We just don't have the fan base yet. Same base we had from 1996 - F'n sad!

+1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

All that being said, I like Voodoo Five. Often times they will say what others will not.

I think people were cautiously waiting to see improvement and maybe still are. The team needs to turn some kind of corner this year. Maybe that's a bowl game maybe it's beating UCF. Maybe it's actually being able to score points?

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Losing sucks, but Saturday was the first time in a long time that I have been seriously pumped at a game and felt like we were really in it. I can feel it. We are on our way back. Go to the games!

We will win this week.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

IMO there are only two valid reasons for not showing up. First, if you're out of town. Second, you have some medical reason that you simply cannot get to the game. PERIOD!

ANYTHING else is simple BS.

If you're not in a seat, then STFU about attendance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

I think the ones that care do show up.  But there are several that were driven away 4.5 years when those in power (really in power), Woolard and Genshaft, botched the Leavitt situation (purposely or in their own incompetence) and forever altered the course of the program.  And both are still there, Woolard unbelievably.

The only thing that has driven away the fans in droves is the lack of success.  People love a winner and if this team was 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 every year people would be there and it wouldn't matter who the coach was.  That 2007 sellout crowd against WVU wasn't there to watch Jim Leavitt.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I think the ones that care do show up. But there are several that were driven away 4.5 years when those in power (really in power), Woolard and Genshaft, botched the Leavitt situation (purposely or in their own incompetence) and forever altered the course of the program. And both are still there, Woolard unbelievably.

The only thing that has driven away the fans in droves is the lack of success. People love a winner and if this team was 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 every year people would be there and it wouldn't matter who the coach was. That 2007 sellout crowd against WVU wasn't there to watch Jim Leavitt.

Nope, we were there to watch the good football team coached by Jim Leavitt.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I think the ones that care do show up. But there are several that were driven away 4.5 years when those in power (really in power), Woolard and Genshaft, botched the Leavitt situation (purposely or in their own incompetence) and forever altered the course of the program. And both are still there, Woolard unbelievably.

The only thing that has driven away the fans in droves is the lack of success. People love a winner and if this team was 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 every year people would be there and it wouldn't matter who the coach was. That 2007 sellout crowd against WVU wasn't there to watch Jim Leavitt.

Well of course not. That' was one heckuva stretch.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

That's a lot of hot air to say "if you want to compete at the highest levels of football, go to the **** game".

I'm not sure that gets us to the highest levels of football.

One thing he has right is that this administration is reaching out.

Other than that, it's a lot of Collin telling us about Collin.

Now it's up to someone else to build it. Hopefully Collin's pleas, as well as those from many other sources, helps them do that. The program itself had the greatest opportunity yet this season and that was to beat a pretty lousy Maryland team. Didn't do it.

Taggart seems like a great guy, but he may not a program builder on the level of Leavitt. Paul Griffin found the guy. Harlan may end up having to as well.

If Leavitt was such a program builder then he would have landed somewhere by now to build programs. The departure of CJL had little to do with the fall of our program. Some of it is just the natural swings of college football. I think a big part of it was USF Athletics tried to grow much faster than they could sustain - drastically raised season ticket contributions levels, put posters up about big 4, etc. You see it happen with a lot of small to mid-size businesses who aren't in anyway prepared for the new pond the find themselves in.

USF Athletics will be fine. Like every other school and every other sport fans will attend when the event is entertaining. For the last few years USF football has not been - unless you like comedies.

I think we have a script for another.