• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Prado To Join USF Athletics Administration

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

Prado To Join USF Athletics Administration

TAMPA, MAY 19, 2014 â€“ University of South Florida Director of Athletics Mark Harlan announced today that Head Baseball Coach Lelo Prado has accepted the position of associate director of athletics for administration and external services. Prado will join the USF Athletics Department senior administrative staff following the conclusion of the current baseball season. A national search for a new head baseball coach will begin immediately.

In his new role, Prado, who is completing his eighth season leading the USF baseball program, will serve as a sport administrator, develop community outreach and marketing initiatives, aid fundraising efforts and assist Harlan and Deputy Athletics Director Barry Clements on a day-to-day basis.

“I am looking forward to the next chapter in my career,†Prado said. “I am very thankful for my wife, Pam, and my sons, Jason, Tyler and Zach, and the sacrifices they have made in supporting my coaching career.
“I would like to thank Mark Harlan for the opportunity to move into the administrative side of athletics and apply the experience I’ve gained during a long career in coaching. It is not easy to leave my players, coaches and the game of baseball, but the time is right to take on a new challenge. Mark has tremendous leadership and vision for USF Athletics, and I am excited to work alongside him and the rest of the staff in a broader role.â€

Prado brings 26 years of experience and nearly 850 wins as a head coach to the USF Athletics administration, including 11 years leading the Louisville baseball program and seven as head coach at the University of Tampa where he won back-to-back NCAA Division II National Championships in 1992 and 1993.

“I appreciate everything Lelo has done for the USF baseball program and believe he has helped put it in a position to be great,†Harlan said. “I am very excited that he has agreed to join our administrative leadership team. Lelo’s tremendous personality, presence in the community and talent for connecting with people will be a great asset. It is a critical component to have someone with his coaching experience on staff and I expect he will be a vital resource in mentoring many of our young coaches.â€

Prado has earned five conference coach of the year honors, including being named the 2009 Big East Coach of the Year, during a head coaching career that began in 1989. In his 19 seasons at the Division I level, his teams posted twelve 30-win seasons. He has won 250 games in his eight seasons at the helm at USF. His 320 wins while leading the Louisville baseball program made him that program’s all-time winningest coach when he departed.  He also led the Cardinals to their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in baseball.

Prado previously served in athletic administration as an assistant director of athletics at the University of Tampa where he focused on fundraising and community support coordination.

Prado will lead USF (26-29) into the inaugural American Athletic Conference Baseball Championship beginning Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. when the fifth-seeded Bulls take on fourth-seeded Rutgers (29-23) at Bright House Field in Clearwater, Fla.  The winner of the American Athletic Conference Championship will receive the conference’s automatic bid to the NCAA Baseball Tournament.

Edited by swamprat

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Prado has quite the connections around Tampa Bay, maybe he can help Harlan shake some money out of some palm trees. This is the end of PradoBall!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Well, there it is ...

Tony La Russa for USF baseball HC!! 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Prado has quite the connections around Tampa Bay, maybe he can help Harlan shake some money out of some palm trees. This is the end of PradoBall!!!!!!!!!!

Oh? I did not know this.

While reading the article I was thinking... "WTF? Why???"

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,959
  • Days Won:  12

I have also heard Prado has "connections" and would be greatin a fund raising role. We shall see.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

Womb to tomb.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Womb to tomb.

One person I do hope that holds true for is Ken Eriksen ... that they can find something for him in Administration when he stops coaching .... which I hope is not for a long while.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Well, there it is ...

Tony La Russa for USF baseball HC!! 

If he hadn't just accepted another job the other day, I'm positive he would have taken the USF gig.

Maybe he didn't know the baseball job would be opening up.  Can we figure out a way to get the news to him out in AZ? 

We should tell him about the beaches. 

Go all in.. located nearby:

publix.jpg

img_4620.jpg

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

About stinking time

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Finally!  [sigh of Relief]

Now I can unequivocally root for my Bulls in the AAC Conference. All the way to Omaha, babay!!!!!!

Hopefully we get a dammed good replacement. 'Bout time this losin' stuff ended 'round here.