• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Prado To Join USF Athletics Administration

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

I'm glad that Lelo and his wife Pam are sticking around.  My wife and I recently signed papers to sponsor a scholarship in baseball and, although we were already leaning toward baseball, Lelo was the guy that sealed the deal.  He spent a 1/2 hour with us before a game this year talking about the kids and what criteria we might chose for which player would be chosen for it.  First word out of his mouth was either "grades" or "academics".  We were expecting to hear things like, RBIs, ERAs, OBP but he was most concerned about grades.  I can see him being very successful in helping to raise funds.  Charming guy.  Pam was with the Bulls Club I believe but has since switched positions to, if I remember correctly, the USF Foundation. 

A change was more than likely going to happen this year so glad to see him stay on.  For those of you concerned about continuing to pay him, my guess is that USF will get a good return on their dollar.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Prado did not suddenly become a lousy coach when he got to USF.  He was very successful at Louisville, not so at USF.  That isn't his problem, it is a university problem.  A new coach can't solve the problem until the larger problems are solved.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

Prado did not suddenly become a lousy coach when he got to USF.  He was very successful at Louisville, not so at USF.  That isn't his problem, it is a university problem.  A new coach can't solve the problem until the larger problems are solved.

huh? wins/losses are a coach's problem.

• Topic Count:  1,033
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Days Won:  10

Prado was successful when he was hired as a coach into existing baseball powerhouses.  I don't think he ever 'made' a team a powerhouse. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Prado was successful when he was hired as a coach into existing baseball powerhouses.  I don't think he ever 'made' a team a powerhouse. 

Before Prado, University of Tampa had 0 national championships. Under him, they had 2

Before Prado, Lousville's record from 1985-1995 under two different coaches was 230-355-1. With Lelo as coach, they were 320-301-1. 

Which of those was the powerhouse you were referring to?

• Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I agree it's concerning that Prado wasn't able to achieve here like previous schools, but now it's kinda to the point of needing the new blood. Maybe, similar to DW, this allows a cheaper exit strategy for USF than outright firing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

I agree it's concerning that Prado wasn't able to achieve here like previous schools, but now it's kinda to the point of needing the new blood. Maybe, similar to DW, this allows a cheaper exit strategy for USF than outright firing.

I believe Prado's contract was up so there shouldn't have been any financial ramifications from him not returning ... and as far as creating a role for him, isn't this kind of the role that LRS had and was it ever really filled?

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Before Prado, University of Tampa had 0 national championships. Under him, they had 2

Before Prado, Lousville's record from 1985-1995 under two different coaches was 230-355-1. With Lelo as coach, they were 320-301-1. 

Which of those was the powerhouse you were referring to?

Exactly.  Pretty obvious that Prado was an excellent coach.  Wins and losses are not only about the head coach.

• Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I believe Prado's contract was up so there shouldn't have been any financial ramifications from him not returning ... and as far as creating a role for him, isn't this kind of the role that LRS had and was it ever really filled?

Yep, you're right he's on contract through this season, so should be no buyout issues (even if there were, it would be peanuts compared to football or MBB). Don't know the logic--maybe hm's "connections" thought?