• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF basketball upper limit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Holy ****, is this argument still going on?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

USF basketball is not a destination job until it is.

If Donovan ever leaves Florida, I still wouldn't call it a destination job. It will be tough to jump to that category.

My issue with all this basketball future is this, we're trying to build too many programs at once. Football needs the lions share of the resources. No matter how "passionate" USF fans claim they are for the sport, 9 out of 10 would take the worst basketball team in the world if it meant competing at the highest levels in football. Football makes the money. USF Basketball is never going to get that status in the immediate future.

Very few schools have excelled at football and basketball. UL is the closest school to our level, and they have a crap load more money than we do. These smaller schools that have made runs in the NCAAs have all been basketball only schools (VCU, Butler, George Mason, Wichita State) because they throw everything behind the sport.

The larger football schools (Florida, Ohio State, Michigan) all have so much money they can just funnel it into basketball without batting an eye.

The right guy can get here and win immediately, but that doesn't mean we're on the road to consistent basketball greatness. It will take a lot more than just the right hire. I just want to see a team that isn't at or near the bottom of the league every year. Lets start there.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

Just show some sign of improvement every year and everything else will fall into place.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

USF basketball is not a destination job until it is.

If Donovan ever leaves Florida, I still wouldn't call it a destination job. It will be tough to jump to that category.

My issue with all this basketball future is this, we're trying to build too many programs at once. Football needs the lions share of the resources. No matter how "passionate" USF fans claim they are for the sport, 9 out of 10 would take the worst basketball team in the world if it meant competing at the highest levels in football. Football makes the money. USF Basketball is never going to get that status in the immediate future.

If they'd gone with a huge jump in salary with the hire, you might have a point. CSM is getting right at what Stan was going to make for the rest of his contract. The facilities are already in place so there's really no big jump in financial commitment with this hire so any added attendance/season tix monies would be a plus ...

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

What's crazy is look what coach K makes.

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski topped the list at $7,233,976 per year, with Louisville’s Rick Pitino at $4,973,343. Others such as Kansas’ Bill Self ($4,960,763) and Tom Izzo at Michigan State ($3,745,769) and Florida’s Billy Donovan (3,689,200) round out the Top 5.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski topped the list at $7,233,976 per year, with Louisville’s Rick Pitino at $4,973,343. Others such as Kansas’ Bill Self ($4,960,763) and Tom Izzo at Michigan State ($3,745,769) and Florida’s Billy Donovan (3,689,200) round out the Top 5.

It is custom to provide a link, especially when quoting facts  and figures

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

It is custom to provide a link, especially when quoting facts  and figures

Why should he? You don't.

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

Guest PCBull14

Coach K is a good coach but he is not worth 7 million. I didn't used to like the guy at all, but after following him the last two seasons he has to be one of my favorite coaches out there. With that being said 7 million is far too much.

USF needs to go all in with this new hire. The guy can coach and hopefully the reports about his ability to recruit we find to be true. I find myself wanting season tickets for the first time, having a good job (go USF Degree!!) probably makes that a much easier decision. This guy will want nothing more than support from the fans and admin. Hope it works out as I love this hire. I think we have the talent to win now and that should be what is expected.

USF did the only thing it needed to do to put its basketball program on the map. This is a great job now and one that can be an ending job for some one. With how young Steve is I hope he builds success and retires as a Bull.  A championship would be nice as well lol. I can be a pain sometimes guys but at the end of the day I want what you all want. A University with academics and athletics we can all be proud of.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Please ignore the winkle...

The rest of us attempt to be civilized....sometimes.

• Downvote 1