• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF basketball upper limit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Watching Gonzaga getting routed by Arizona. Gonzaga is in their 15th straight tournament. 1 elite eight, 5 sweet sixteens. A bunch of conference titles. Mark Few is in no danger of being fired. I am pretty sure they are at their maximum limit as they are perennially the conference champs, NCAA bound but not in danger of winning the tourney. Possibly could make a final four but that's an outside shot.

Makes me think. What is the upper limit for usf basketball? Can we do what the zags have done? Thoughts?

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,614
  • Days Won:  51

Watching Gonzaga getting routed by Arizona. Gonzaga is in their 15th straight tournament. 1 elite eight, 5 sweet sixteens. A bunch of conference titles. Mark Few is in no danger of being fired. I am pretty sure they are at their maximum limit as they are perennially the conference champs, NCAA bound but not in danger of winning the tourney. Possibly could make a final four but that's an outside shot.

Makes me think. What is the upper limit for usf basketball? Can we do what the zags have done? Thoughts?

I'd like to not finish last in our conference 2 years in a row.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

It all starts with the right head coach combined with the right AD. Heath was not the right head coach  and the kind of success you want, there aren't many. that fit the bill.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/sports/ncaabasketball/gonzaga-basketball-stays-the-course-and-reaches-the-top.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The Zags showed universities that could not invest as heavily or at all in big-time football that in basketball, at the right place, under the right circumstances, with the right resources, it could be done, and without the raft of early departures suffered by the more established programs.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This may come off as Pollyanna, but I think we have no such limit.  We have the facilities, location, size of school, that would allow us to go all the way,  It would takes years of steady improvement.  Right now, I'd be happy with consistent NCAA appearances.  Once that happens, we can look to new heights.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  3

That's a tough one.

Is the upper bound determined - in any way - what we have seen in the past? 

...right place, under the right circumstances, with the right resources...

That makes it sound very much like anything's possible. And while it may be that  anything is possible, I'd have to say that the upper bound for USF basketball is probably going to be the occasional NCAA appearance. I don't hold out much hope that, even with a new coach, somehow the program is going to be miracled into a consistent conference champion, let alone make much of a dent in post-season play. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

The problem with this is cash. If USF were to get the right coach, we wouldn't be able to keep him from a P5 coming in and buying him away. All things being equal, I would have to go with multiple tournaments and Final Fours. But, all things are not equal. 

That's a tough one.

Is the upper bound determined - in any way - what we have seen in the past? 

...right place, under the right circumstances, with the right resources...

That makes it sound very much like anything's possible. And while it may be that  anything is possible, I'd have to say that the upper bound for USF basketball is probably going to be the occasional NCAA appearance. I don't hold out much hope that, even with a new coach, somehow the program is going to be miracled into a consistent conference champion, let alone make much of a dent in post-season play. 

If you read the entire article, its an evolution that starts with that foundation. First year Cinderella team followed by 15 straight NCAAT appearances. Doing that allowed them to throw off the Mid-major moniker. But its all very much a process that is more than once piece.

The problem with this is cash. If USF were to get the right coach, we wouldn't be able to keep him from a P5 coming in and buying him away. All things being equal, I would have to go with multiple tournaments and Final Fours. But, all things are not equal. 

Again, reading the article, you see this addressed. They got a coach who responds to 'Why stay"? with "Why not"?.

15 straight trips to March Madness and he makes less then Heath according to what I found.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  3

But would not having a football team be part of that equation? It's almost like, if you're gonna be basketball only - you should aspire to be the best in basketball. All the eggs in one basket. Might just be my opinion, but it looks like USF basketball is now in the passenger seat at USF. 

But would not having a football team be part of that equation? It's almost like, if you're gonna be basketball only - you should aspire to be the best in basketball. All the eggs in one basket. Might just be my opinion, but it looks like USF basketball is now in the passenger seat at USF. 

Why would it? Its showing how a school without deep pockets can have a quality program. Football is much more expensive. Having football doesn't take away from a coach that wins and likes where he's at and doesn't want to leave and gets support.