• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF basketball upper limit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

This may come off as Pollyanna, but I think we have no such limit.  We have the facilities, location, size of school, that would allow us to go all the way,  It would takes years of steady improvement.  Right now, I'd be happy with consistent NCAA appearances.  Once that happens, we can look to new heights.

there is no limit!

a national championship in basketball is probably the easiest one to obtain in a  major revenue sport

florida did it!!! why not us

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

The problem with this is cash. If USF were to get the right coach, we wouldn't be able to keep him from a P5 coming in and buying him away. All things being equal, I would have to go with multiple tournaments and Final Fours. But, all things are not equal. 

Again, reading the article, you see this addressed. They got a coach who responds to 'Why stay"? with "Why not"?.

15 straight trips to March Madness and he makes less then Heath according to what I found.

I agree with you, somewhat. I think that comment is a result of the entire philosophy of Gonzaga, not just the coach. And I don't know if that's a coach-up or top-down philosophy. Probably a combination.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

The problem with this is cash. If USF were to get the right coach, we wouldn't be able to keep him from a P5 coming in and buying him away. All things being equal, I would have to go with multiple tournaments and Final Fours. But, all things are not equal. 

Again, reading the article, you see this addressed. They got a coach who responds to 'Why stay"? with "Why not"?.

15 straight trips to March Madness and he makes less then Heath according to what I found.

I agree with you, somewhat. I think that comment is a result of the entire philosophy of Gonzaga, not just the coach. And I don't know if that's a coach-up or top-down philosophy. Probably a combination.

I don't think they would be where they are unless they had Few as coach nor the support from the school and later fans and alumni as they experienced continued success. Few seems to LOVE where he lives. Can USF find a successful coach who is into the job, loves the area and isn't chasing dollar signs? That is the big question. And we have to see how this new AD is, if he fosters his coaches or is a bureaucrat.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Depends. Very few schools have assembled powerhouse programs at both football and basketball. In the real world focusing on both is tough

Edited by Joe

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

National title in bball?   Interesting.

Don't get all stuckup on us because you have a great bball team. :)

It should be every schools goal to win a national title in bball. If not then what's the point in playing?

I would be happy as heck to just make it to the dance on a consistant basis.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

No not stuck up at all.  Just think you have to realistic.   If USF wins a national title in basketball something has seriously gone wrong....sorry man just keeping it real.  Not saying USF can't become a decent team and get to the NCAA;s consistently.  They could I think but in the end it's USF bball.  Not trying to be a jerk I'm really not but, come on now.  I  don't ever see them being a basketball school.  Same goes for UCF.  Now I can obviously see USF and UCF becoming really good fball schools but, Basketball....not so much.  I think where USF fans from what I read about facilities and recruiting is great but, in the end all great basketball schools have that.  IF I top recruit has USF, UL, Duke, UNC etc on their list and all things are equal as far as a chance to start right away.....let's be real he isn't headed to USF.  Not saying USF can't get some good recruits with whatever new coach they get but, it's just different than in fball where there isn't as much of them.  USF being in Florida with all those recruits in their backyard for sure is big time for football but, in basketball the recruiting is different.  Anyway,, like I said not trying to be a jerk about it and I hope the best on the coach and success in the future.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

How about we make the NCAA tournament more often Than once every 20 years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

No not stuck up at all.  Just think you have to realistic.   If USF wins a national title in basketball something has seriously gone wrong....sorry man just keeping it real.  Not saying USF can't become a decent team and get to the NCAA;s consistently.  They could I think but in the end it's USF bball.  Not trying to be a jerk I'm really not but, come on now.  I  don't ever see them being a basketball school.  Same goes for UCF.  Now I can obviously see USF and UCF becoming really good fball schools but, Basketball....not so much.  I think where USF fans from what I read about facilities and recruiting is great but, in the end all great basketball schools have that.  IF I top recruit has USF, UL, Duke, UNC etc on their list and all things are equal as far as a chance to start right away.....let's be real he isn't headed to USF.  Not saying USF can't get some good recruits with whatever new coach they get but, it's just different than in fball where there isn't as much of them.  USF being in Florida with all those recruits in their backyard for sure is big time for football but, in basketball the recruiting is different.  Anyway,, like I said not trying to be a jerk about it and I hope the best on the coach and success in the future.  

Keeping it real - No one is suggesting it will hapen in the next few years, BUT, with the right people in the right places...

Nothing has to be seriously wrong, but it will take serious dedication from the top down to put USF where we all want to be.

UF was a middle of the road BB school before Donovan.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No not stuck up at all. Just think you have to realistic. If USF wins a national title in basketball something has seriously gone wrong....sorry man just keeping it real. Not saying USF can't become a decent team and get to the NCAA;s consistently. They could I think but in the end it's USF bball. Not trying to be a jerk I'm really not but, come on now. I don't ever see them being a basketball school. Same goes for UCF. Now I can obviously see USF and UCF becoming really good fball schools but, Basketball....not so much. I think where USF fans from what I read about facilities and recruiting is great but, in the end all great basketball schools have that. IF I top recruit has USF, UL, Duke, UNC etc on their list and all things are equal as far as a chance to start right away.....let's be real he isn't headed to USF. Not saying USF can't get some good recruits with whatever new coach they get but, it's just different than in fball where there isn't as much of them. USF being in Florida with all those recruits in their backyard for sure is big time for football but, in basketball the recruiting is different. Anyway,, like I said not trying to be a jerk about it and I hope the best on the coach and success in the future.

Keeping it real - No one is suggesting it will hapen in the next few years, BUT, with the right people in the right places...

Nothing has to be seriously wrong, but it will take serious dedication from the top down to put USF where we all want to be.

UF was a middle of the road BB school before Donovan.

UF got where it is because it dumped millions of surplus revenue into basketball. We're not anywhere near there yet.