• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF basketball upper limit

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

NCAA round of 32. Until we are better.

That's one of the two definitive answers to the question ... The other is national champion, because you can't go any higher than that.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I just want to feel like I felt when we turned Cal into a grease stain, more often than I do now.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Speaking of reality, we can be successful at both football and basketball in decades to come. 

My definition of successful is winning your conference and playing when the regular season is over. 

The right coach is what starts the process going.  I guess you can argue that the right AD hires the right coach.

It seems that we keep peddling backwards and the more we peddle backwards the larger the uphill battle.  Paying off salaries of former coaches while trying to compete to bring in the right coach is painful. 

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Lon Kruger was pretty decent at Florida before Donovan so I disagree they were nothing before Donovan got there.  Also comparing the money UF has to throw at both programs is a little different than USF.  USF is still trying to get football back going not to mention they are still paying Heath,Holtz and the old AD right?   I mean that's like saying I can see FIU winning the national title in football if all the people are in the right place.  I don't see it.  Like I said no reason USF can't get to some NCAA tourney's more consistently sure but, I think if you looked at it from the outside man it's USF basketball man.  They couldn't even really get fans to come to bball games when they were in one of the best college bball conference there was The Big East.  People don't really care much about college bball in Florida least the people I have talked to.  Even the Gators sure theri fans come when they are good but, other than that there are empty seats at the O Dome all the time.  It;s all about fball down there. Sorry man I think seriously went wrong if they won a national title in bball.  I mean I guess never say never but, I couldn't see it anywhere even close right now.

Give me a break. UL  BB won C-USA once and the BE twice, hardly a dominant team. Couldn't even win the AAC outright this year. You guys have a couple of good years in BB and FB and all of a sudden you think your ND. The ACC will fit you guys well, a new underachiever. It's easy to kick a dog that's already been hit by the car, but that dog will always remember that kick. Don't turn your back.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Lon Kruger was pretty decent at Florida before Donovan so I disagree they were nothing before Donovan got there.  Also comparing the money UF has to throw at both programs is a little different than USF.  USF is still trying to get football back going not to mention they are still paying Heath,Holtz and the old AD right?   I mean that's like saying I can see FIU winning the national title in football if all the people are in the right place.  I don't see it.  Like I said no reason USF can't get to some NCAA tourney's more consistently sure but, I think if you looked at it from the outside man it's USF basketball man.  They couldn't even really get fans to come to bball games when they were in one of the best college bball conference there was The Big East.  People don't really care much about college bball in Florida least the people I have talked to.  Even the Gators sure theri fans come when they are good but, other than that there are empty seats at the O Dome all the time.  It;s all about fball down there. Sorry man I think seriously went wrong if they won a national title in bball.  I mean I guess never say never but, I couldn't see it anywhere even close right now.

Give me a break. UL  BB won C-USA once and the BE twice, hardly a dominant team. Couldn't even win the AAC outright this year. You guys have a couple of good years in BB and FB and all of a sudden you think your ND. The ACC will fit you guys well, a new underachiever. It's easy to kick a dog that's already been hit by the car, but that dog will always remember that kick. Don't turn your back.

How about you give thinking a break? I think most USF fans want to have UL's success in football and basketball. And they were in the top 10 teams for most football wins 2000-2010 genius. ND wasn't.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

How about you give thinking a break? I think most USF fans want to have UL's success in football and basketball. And they were in the top 10 teams for most football wins 2000-2010 genius. ND wasn't.

Soooo UL has a more successful sports program than ND? Yeah, ok. Duh. While ND was playing the top FB programs UL was playin Metro, C-USA and BE teams as well as such powerhouses as Kentucky Wesleyan,

:nope:

The Fighting Irish hold the highest winning percentage among college football programs[3] and have 13 national championships recognized by the NCAA, tied for first out of all FBS schools in the post-1900 era.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

So you say fire Mark Few. Not arguing that point just trying to understand.

I fail to see how you even make that connection.

I can say with 100% certainty that Mark Few and the Zags goal is to win a national title.

I never said it needed to be obtained in a certain amount of time, or that if that goal wasn't met that someone should be fired. That's you making up your own assumption.

To me:  If your team can consistantly get close to winning that NC that you are reaching for (which they have), win their conference (which they do), and be nationally recognized as being great in the sport (which they are) then I see no reason to change paths.

If you can get that close on a consistant basis, you will eventually win one.

I was reading your first post to read that that Few would not get it done. Thanks for clarifying.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

UL has a long history with a high ceiling for the program. 10 final fours, 3 championships, 40 NCAA appearances. Not bad having never been in a "power" conference. But they started somewhere and it took a long whole before the first title.

I think USF could get there but we have to start somewhere. A couple at large bids to NCAA, mixed in with some NIT and build to conference titles. I think we could get to regular NCAA team and make Final Fours.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

It all depends on the timeline we're talking about. In the next 10 years, I'd like to be able to care about the NCAA tournament for reasons other than my gambling addiction. It'd just be nice to start a season with the expected result being a bid more often than not. Let's start there.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

No not stuck up at all.  Just think you have to realistic.   If USF wins a national title in basketball something has seriously gone wrong....sorry man just keeping it real.  Not saying USF can't become a decent team and get to the NCAA;s consistently.  They could I think but in the end it's USF bball.  Not trying to be a jerk I'm really not but, come on now.  I  don't ever see them being a basketball school.  Same goes for UCF.  Now I can obviously see USF and UCF becoming really good fball schools but, Basketball....not so much.  I think where USF fans from what I read about facilities and recruiting is great but, in the end all great basketball schools have that.  IF I top recruit has USF, UL, Duke, UNC etc on their list and all things are equal as far as a chance to start right away.....let's be real he isn't headed to USF.  Not saying USF can't get some good recruits with whatever new coach they get but, it's just different than in fball where there isn't as much of them.  USF being in Florida with all those recruits in their backyard for sure is big time for football but, in basketball the recruiting is different.  Anyway,, like I said not trying to be a jerk about it and I hope the best on the coach and success in the future.  

I know you aren't trying to be a jerk, but the tone still comes off as

"Come on, you're USF"

Nobody knows what will happen down the road.

We are in a 4-5 bid Bball conference, and those teams doing a pretty good job right now in the tourney.

Temple is down right now but their basketball is usually top notch. We lose you guys, but gain Tulsa..while it isn't anywhere close, Tulsa made the tourney this year.

Exactly.  UConn has won 3 championships in the last 15 years.  If they can do it, so can we.