• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF basketball upper limit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

No not stuck up at all.  Just think you have to realistic.   If USF wins a national title in basketball something has seriously gone wrong....sorry man just keeping it real.  Not saying USF can't become a decent team and get to the NCAA;s consistently.  They could I think but in the end it's USF bball.  Not trying to be a jerk I'm really not but, come on now.  I  don't ever see them being a basketball school.  Same goes for UCF.  Now I can obviously see USF and UCF becoming really good fball schools but, Basketball....not so much.  I think where USF fans from what I read about facilities and recruiting is great but, in the end all great basketball schools have that.  IF I top recruit has USF, UL, Duke, UNC etc on their list and all things are equal as far as a chance to start right away.....let's be real he isn't headed to USF.  Not saying USF can't get some good recruits with whatever new coach they get but, it's just different than in fball where there isn't as much of them.  USF being in Florida with all those recruits in their backyard for sure is big time for football but, in basketball the recruiting is different.  Anyway,, like I said not trying to be a jerk about it and I hope the best on the coach and success in the future.  

I know you aren't trying to be a jerk, but the tone still comes off as

"Come on, you're USF"

Nobody knows what will happen down the road.

We are in a 4-5 bid Bball conference, and those teams doing a pretty good job right now in the tourney.

Temple is down right now but their basketball is usually top notch. We lose you guys, but gain Tulsa..while it isn't anywhere close, Tulsa made the tourney this year.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

No not stuck up at all. Just think you have to realistic. If USF wins a national title in basketball something has seriously gone wrong....sorry man just keeping it real. Not saying USF can't become a decent team and get to the NCAA;s consistently. They could I think but in the end it's USF bball. Not trying to be a jerk I'm really not but, come on now. I don't ever see them being a basketball school. Same goes for UCF. Now I can obviously see USF and UCF becoming really good fball schools but, Basketball....not so much. I think where USF fans from what I read about facilities and recruiting is great but, in the end all great basketball schools have that. IF I top recruit has USF, UL, Duke, UNC etc on their list and all things are equal as far as a chance to start right away.....let's be real he isn't headed to USF. Not saying USF can't get some good recruits with whatever new coach they get but, it's just different than in fball where there isn't as much of them. USF being in Florida with all those recruits in their backyard for sure is big time for football but, in basketball the recruiting is different. Anyway,, like I said not trying to be a jerk about it and I hope the best on the coach and success in the future.

Keeping it real - No one is suggesting it will hapen in the next few years, BUT, with the right people in the right places...

Nothing has to be seriously wrong, but it will take serious dedication from the top down to put USF where we all want to be.

UF was a middle of the road BB school before Donovan.

UF got where it is because it dumped millions of surplus revenue into basketball. We're not anywhere near there yet.

Surplus revenue...

And we won't get that in the AAC with a non-competitive football program.

• Topic Count:  65
  • Content Count:  471
  • Days Won:  0

Lon Kruger was pretty decent at Florida before Donovan so I disagree they were nothing before Donovan got there.  Also comparing the money UF has to throw at both programs is a little different than USF.  USF is still trying to get football back going not to mention they are still paying Heath,Holtz and the old AD right?   I mean that's like saying I can see FIU winning the national title in football if all the people are in the right place.  I don't see it.  Like I said no reason USF can't get to some NCAA tourney's more consistently sure but, I think if you looked at it from the outside man it's USF basketball man.  They couldn't even really get fans to come to bball games when they were in one of the best college bball conference there was The Big East.  People don't really care much about college bball in Florida least the people I have talked to.  Even the Gators sure theri fans come when they are good but, other than that there are empty seats at the O Dome all the time.  It;s all about fball down there. Sorry man I think seriously went wrong if they won a national title in bball.  I mean I guess never say never but, I couldn't see it anywhere even close right now.

• Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

National title in bball?   Interesting.

Don't get all stuckup on us because you have a great bball team. :)

It should be every schools goal to win a national title in bball. If not then what's the point in playing?

I would be happy as heck to just make it to the dance on a consistant basis.

So should Gonzaga fire mark few? 15 years and no final four even much less a national title. I don't think so but interested since you believe that should be the goal.

National title in bball?   Interesting.

Don't get all stuckup on us because you have a great bball team. :)

It should be every schools goal to win a national title in bball. If not then what's the point in playing?

I would be happy as heck to just make it to the dance on a consistant basis.

So should Gonzaga fire mark few? 15 years and no final four even much less a national title. I don't think so but interested since you believe that should be the goal.

Is Mark Few and Gonzaga's goal just to get to the elite 8 and then throw in the towel and go home?

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

So you say fire Mark Few. Not arguing that point just trying to understand.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Right now upper limit is 1 NCAA showing followed by terrible seasons. Until it is not.

• Upvote 1

I fail to see how you even make that connection.

I can say with 100% certainty that Mark Few and the Zags goal is to win a national title.

I never said it needed to be obtained in a certain amount of time, or that if that goal wasn't met that someone should be fired. That's you making up your own assumption.

To me:  If your team can consistantly get close to winning that NC that you are reaching for (which they have), win their conference (which they do), and be nationally recognized as being great in the sport (which they are) then I see no reason to change paths.

If you can get that close on a consistant basis, you will eventually win one.

Edited by Hem

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

I fail to see how you even make that connection.

I can say with 100% certainty that Mark Few and the Zags goal is to win a national title.

I never said it needed to be obtained in a certain amount of time, or that if that goal wasn't met that someone should be fired. That's you making up your own assumption.

To me:  If your team can consistantly get close to winning that NC that you are reaching for (which they have), win their conference (which they do), and be nationally recognized as being great in the sport (which they are) then I see no reason to change paths.

If you can get that close on a consistant basis, you will eventually win one.

Thanks HEM, that was my point.

I know we don't have _________. One can fill that blank in as many times as they see fit. I prefer to be positive and hold out hope that USF will ONE DAY be among the elite in college sports. I hope to heck just to live long enough to see significant improvement toward that goal. Shoot, I hope to heck that THAT is the goal...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

NCAA round of 32. Until we are better.