• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White's Redshirt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

There is absolutely no point in burning that kid's redshirt. IF he was on the same level as Bench and Eveld talent wise that doesn't mean he has as firm of a grasp on the offense as they do. IF he was right with them with talent level and understanding/ability to run the offense I don't think this would even be a conversation and we would have already seen White at some point this season. Taggart so badly wants to win (obviously) but he's not stupid. He understands that we're not going to beat Louisville or Rutgers and probably won't beat Houston or UCF. We have a very real chance of finishing the season 3-9. So letting that kid continue to learn the offense and develop for a full year without wasting a year of eligibility or destroying his confidence due to the lack of talent at the other positions is the right move. Unless we have a Johnny Manziel on our hands there is no reason for him to play.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

While I know that the mere thought of discussing this is verboten amongst some of you. If Bench can't go against UL and if MW is close to Bobby why not play him. As it stands now we have the same or better opportunity to win the conference as anyone else. Why would we "save" a redshirt while sacrificing a season? If anyone else was listening on the radio, Jim Louk made a classic Freudian slip, when he got just a bit excited when he thought that White had been put in the game.

If we somehow manage to upset louisville, i think the red shirt will be reconsidered because if bench cant go there should be no way taggart puts a bcs bowl bid on the shoulders of a former walkon who goes 8-28 in a game

If we manage to upset Louisville, with Eveld, why in the world would you think CWT would change anything, other than Bench getting healthy?

Good point.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Taggart doesn't seem like the type who goes into games thinking "We're not going to beat Louisville or UCF". I think he comes to win every game and will field the best possible players to do so. I remember when he was at Western Kentucky, he said that they were not going to lay down for Alabama, that they were there to win that game....or something along those lines. I would think that White's redshirt will stay intact, and that they will use this time to groom him and bulk up his wiry frame. As far as the QBs familiarity with the playbook, how much of a difference can there be? It's everybody's first year under Taggart's offense.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

While I know that the mere thought of discussing this is verboten amongst some of you. If Bench can't go against UL and if MW is close to Bobby why not play him. As it stands now we have the same or better opportunity to win the conference as anyone else. Why would we "save" a redshirt while sacrificing a season? If anyone else was listening on the radio, Jim Louk made a classic Freudian slip, when he got just a bit excited when he thought that White had been put in the game.

If we somehow manage to upset louisville, i think the red shirt will be reconsidered because if bench cant go there should be no way taggart puts a bcs bowl bid on the shoulders of a former walkon who goes 8-28 in a game

Eveld played poorly overall but he really didn't go 8-28. Receivers dropped a bunch of balls. His true stats are like 13-28 as the receivers flat out dropped 4-5 balls.

And out of those 15, 10 maybe were intentional misses ...

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Taggart doesn't seem like the type who goes into games thinking "We're not going to beat Louisville or UCF". I think he comes to win every game and will field the best possible players to do so. I remember when he was at Western Kentucky, he said that they were not going to lay down for Alabama, that they were there to win that game....or something along those lines. I would think that White's redshirt will stay intact, and that they will use this time to groom him and bulk up his wiry frame. As far as the QBs familiarity with the playbook, how much of a difference can there be? It's everybody's first year under Taggart's offense.

Eveld and Floyd got about 6 months head start on Bench and 8 months on White. Granted, not all of that time was practice reps and such, but learning the playbook mentally, they got a pretty good jump on the new guys. In all likelihood, that's why we didn't see more of Bench before the FAU game

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

I would be ok with burning the redshirt if he gave us the best chance to win. I'm assuming Taggart feels he doesn't, since he hasn't played him thus far, and I also recognize that he could get beat up both physically and mentally by going in before he is ready. I think many here also fail to see that our problems on offense run far, far deeper than the qb position.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I'm tempted to say it can't get worse than Eveld, but honestly it easily could. He's fairly smart with the ball and overall limits turnovers. Not to say he hasn't had his fair share, but my point is it could be worse in that regard. He also doesn't take sacks often. And he really could have had one or two TDs yesterday if our receivers were worth a jersey.

This is not to say he great or even really that good--he's not. But White could be worse for all we know (Floyd certainly is IMO). And don't forget none of these guys have a WR who wants to show up to play, so that limits what anyone could do at QB. We have to trust the coaching staff...and I think they're starting to earn that.

he was 8 for 28 passing. We have not had an offensive TD the past two games. Seriously give White a shot if Bench is injured.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Given what happened the first four weeks of the season... I would expect that the coaches will keep White on the bench for the rest of the season. 

First, the coaches (and players) have been saying that despite going 0-4, the REAL goals were still out there: win the American conference.

Second, they have been saying this despite having Bench and Eveld as the QBs.

Anyone who thinks Mike White plays this year is living in la la land.  Taggart will put me in at QB before Bench sees the field.

I assume you mean "White" in your last sentence, not Bench

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

How does the medical red shirt work? Maybe not playing him is not the best option in case he gets hurt later and needs a red shirt year to recover. My guess is white isn't completely ready either but is coming along. I remember in one of the interviews coach said white was making his decisions hard. To me that says 1) Coach is willing to play white if he feels he is the best option and 2) White isn't the best option, yet.