• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mike White's Redshirt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

if usf won aac they still wouldnt make a bcs game

you guys are crazy for even suggesting this

louisville will crush us and show us how the game should be played

we got creamed by mccheese and fau

IT WOULD BE DUMB TO BURN WHITE REDSHIRT

smazza, let me try to explain this to you one more time.  The winner of the AAC has an automatic bid to a BCS game therefore, if USF somehow wins the AAC, they WILL go to a BCS game.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  193
  • Days Won:  0

There are more issues on Offense than just the horrible play of Eveld.  The offensive line cannot pass block.  Add in the fact that receivers like Davis give up on routes and drop passes in their hands.  Yeah, that results in a horrendous offense overall.

Not defending Eveld here, but, the line is not giving him time and the receivers are not helping him out.

One thing I did see that I liked from Eveld, and it was the only thing.  Outside of the pocket with no receivers open, throw ball away out of bounds.  He did this a couple of times.  Better to get rid of it than causing a sack or a possible pick trying to make something happen.

On the running game, I was happy to see Tice get in there.  Out of the recruits from this past off season, that was one I wanted to see how he would do.  Had some nice runs as well.  Good solid back up for Shaw and has a good possible future ahead of him.

Spot on, Kahoki!  It's hard to complete passes when you don't have time to throw and when you do get time, the WR drops the ball or gave up on the route.  Tice looked good in there on Saturday and so did Willie "I will carry your whole team on my back" Davis!!  I would like to see more of those 2 going forward when Shaw needs a break or in certain situations.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I am kind of on the fence about White's red shirt. On the one hand it is great that he keeps that extra year available, but if he is even close to being ready, doesn't it make sense to start getting him some playing time and prepare him for next year? Without some experience going in to next year we either start the year with an inexperienced QB or find ourselves in the same position if Bench goes down.

I am sort of leaning towards getting him some game experience. It is not like he is the clear heir apparent behind a really good QB. We are one of, if not the, worst offenses in college football struggling to find a QB that can move the offense past the opponents 30.

If he is truly that talented, after a full camp and 9 weeks in to the season (which it will be at the time of the UL game) then he should have enough of the offense under his belt to make a difference. If he isn't, may as well get him some playing time to get some experience so we are not in the same position next year.

Edited by usfgrad84

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  102

In regards to White, since I did not finish my thought, I am on the fence regarding his red shirt.

Part of me says pull it.  What else do you have to lose?  It is obvious that Eveld and Floyd cannot get the job done (look at Offensive statistics nationally).  Their play is horrendous and might as well get the kid some exp for next year.

However, with the offensive line and receivers as bad as they are.  I would not want to risk any possible injury to the kid that would result in a replacement by Eveld/Floyd anyways.  Plus putting a true freshman who may not be up to speed on a complex offense with very little protection to be able to develop the kid in the correct fashion and losing a year of eligibility.

CWT has a difficult decision and I can see the dilemma here and do not envy him one bit.  This would be a tough call for anyone trying to weigh the options.

Now I have been on the bandwagon regarding pulling White's red shirt for game time exp.  But, after what I saw from the offensive line and receivers this past weekend.  Yeah, ahhhhh.........Keep the red shirt on.  If he is supposed to be the future of this team, make sure the team is ready for him before throwing him to the wolves (in this case the #11 nationally ranked Cards).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Well Bobby Eveld is now officially the worst QB in all of college football in terms of passer rating... I would think that if we were going to see White this year it would have already happened in the second half of the UConn game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating/count/81

Wow, that was worse than I thought, oh wait, no it wasn't!!! Dead Last!

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Well Bobby Eveld is now officially the worst QB in all of college football in terms of passer rating... I would think that if we were going to see White this year it would have already happened in the second half of the UConn game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating/count/81

Wow, that was worse than I thought, oh wait, no it wasn't!!! Dead Last!

Well, its impossible for Mike White to be any worse.   :)

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

With our Oline we need a QB who can make a play with his feet.  Eveld does not fall into that category unless you consider 'tripping over your feet' making a play

I'd say give White a shot.  As people mentioned, practice isn't always the best indicator, some guys are gamers and some aren't.  Instincts are huge at the QB position.  

Bench seems to have some of them, although he is still learning the offense and got hurt.  But Eveld is just lost and Floyd can't keep the ball away from the other team.  

This whole idea about SAVING HIS REDSHIRT is nonsense.  We will have 3 more years to find another QB.  I think with Taggart's recruiting ability and the fact that he played QB at a very high level, I don't think that will be a problem to find a QB.

But right now, today, with our Oline- we need a QB who can move out of the pocket and still gain yards.  

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I am kind of on the fence about White's red shirt. On the one hand it is great that he keeps that extra year available, but if he is even close to being ready, doesn't it make sense to start getting him some playing time and prepare him for next year? Without some experience going in to next year we either start the year with an inexperienced QB or find ourselves in the same position if Bench goes down.

I am sort of leaning towards getting him some game experience. It is not like he is the clear heir apparent behind a really good QB. We are one of, if not the, worst offenses in college football struggling to find a QB that can move the offense past the opponents 30.

If he is truly that talented, after a full camp and 9 weeks in to the season (which it will be at the time of the UL game) then he should have enough of the offense under his belt to make a difference. If he isn't, may as well get him some playing time to get some experience so we are not in the same position next year.

good points. spot on.