• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So who were the quitters?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Andre Davis comes to mind. Wasn't he one of the players that walked off the field last year before the game was over?

Andre Davis is that last player that would quit on this team. He is a Tampa kid and loves USF. The player that walked off the field last year was Marcus Shaw and he played his butt off on Saturday.

I stand corrected.  My apologies to Andre.

However, this whole quitting thing is very upsetting to me.  The word "quit" in sports is horrible.  The fact that the CWT would mention it at his first post game press conference is disturbing.

Shouldn't these players be energized and excited to take the field for the first game of the season at home with a new head coach that the players and community have rallied around.  I don't understand how quitting can even be an option at the first game of the year....I can see if it's the end of the year and we're 0-10 and the team is fatigued from the year, but in the FIRST FREAKING GAME.

Maybe the Holtz stain is too tough to get out or maybe the players aren't buying what Coach T is selling.

Time will tell.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

The team is soft like the former coach.  Just going to take time to get rid of these players 

and get in the men CWT wants.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

I fully realize that these type threads are a message board staple but nobody on here as any real ******* clue who the quitters were. Identifying poor play is one thing but calling players out like this is for quitting, which I think is one of the worst things an athlete can do, is total ******** .... but carry on if it makes you feel better.

Maybe i could've worded it better but as someone said, tags used the word "quit."

And youre right. Maybe the players didnt quit. They were just shellshocked about what happened in the first half and it certainly didnt help that floyd threw a pick on the first play of the second half.

Imo tho, the biggest quitters were the fans. Booing at halftime???? Of opening game???

I don't mind the word "quit", especially if CWT used it. It does happen .... just don't think it's something we as fans need to be carelessly labeling players with. And I think you nailed it with "shellshocked" .... Would be interesting to know what the halftime speech was like .... but whatever it was was probably negated by the pick.

One thing I don't think has been brought up was the first game with a new, looks to be a helluvalot more complicated, offense. Maybe I've just never noticed before but I can't recall our qb's ever having to have two wristband cheat sheets. That's got to have some effect on the players, getting used to all that under live fire ... we should have been in a hurry up offense at least the whole 4th quarter and maybe that was the reason we weren't.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,986
  • Days Won:  12

Nothing is going to hurt more than being on the bench as a veteran and watching a freshman play at Michigan State, all because of your piss poor effort against McNeese State. I hope he follows through with that.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

I fully realize that these type threads are a message board staple but nobody on here as any real ******* clue who the quitters were. Identifying poor play is one thing but calling players out like this is for quitting, which I think is one of the worst things an athlete can do, is total ******** .... but carry on if it makes you feel better.

Maybe i could've worded it better but as someone said, tags used the word "quit."

And youre right. Maybe the players didnt quit. They were just shellshocked about what happened in the first half and it certainly didnt help that floyd threw a pick on the first play of the second half.

Imo tho, the biggest quitters were the fans. Booing at halftime???? Of opening game???

I don't mind the word "quit", especially if CWT used it. It does happen .... just don't think it's something we as fans need to be carelessly labeling players with. And I think you nailed it with "shellshocked" .... Would be interesting to know what the halftime speech was like .... but whatever it was was probably negated by the pick.

One thing I don't think has been brought up was the first game with a new, looks to be a helluvalot more complicated, offense. Maybe I've just never noticed before but I can't recall our qb's ever having to have two wristband cheat sheets. That's got to have some effect on the players, getting used to all that under live fire ... we should have been in a hurry up offense at least the whole 4th quarter and maybe that was the reason we weren't.

There were several plays where the backs and receivers had no clue where to line up.  Tons of players up in arms pre-snap.  Tons of fans up in arms post-play.  LOL

That's simply a product of new system.  That should improve.  Hopefully the mental toughness does, as well.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

i think we are going to see A LOT of play out of freshman this year.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,765
  • Days Won:  3

According to the Trib (yesterday) there was one player who bypassed the locker room and was headed out of the stadium in his uniform, and he had to be corralled by one of the assistant coaches. That may be one isolated incident that exemplifies what CWT is up against. CWT said the team was 'fragile', and also that players 'quit' on the field. He has an incredible amount of disaster recovery work to do, and it's going to take a long, long time to get it done. While losing may be hard to swallow, it's going to be a part of the overall process going forward. I feel for those who were of the impression that all you had to do to turn it around was plug in a new coach and we're off to the races. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable calling out players who, in my opinion as a guy in the stands, quit. I'd leave that to the coaches, the ones with a real finger on the pulse. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,700
  • Days Won:  108

The team is soft like the former coach.  Just going to take time to get rid of these players 

and get in the men CWT wants.

Would love to see you go up to Aaron Lynch or Ryne Giddens and call him soft. 

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

No need to name anybody

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

We fans should get our house in order before we go naming players.  The look on TV was that many in the stands quit too.

• Upvote 1