• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Floyd named starting QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

I just want whoever Coach feels is the best to lead the team.

Look at our options for QB

• Floyd - recruited to play at USF, but did not perform when replacing BJ last year
  • Bobby Eveld - walk on.  Had a career game against Miami, but has not done much any other time as QB
  • Tommy Eveld - walk on.  No real game experience
  • Bench - transfer from Penn State.  Probably came in too late to learn the system and win the job from Floyd or B. Eveld.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Okay, our head coach was a quarterback; WKU retired his number, I think.

Anyway, I'll trust him on this.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  334

I'm behind our quarterback. Let's do this.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  345

I kind of expected this for a few reasons:

1.  Floyd makes plays.  He did in the spring game and he does it at practice according to the players and coach T 

2.  He is more mobile than Eveld and that's a nice back up plan to have.  Emphasis on back up

3.  His downfall was his fumbles.  That can be fixed.  I'm assuming it has been.

4.  Someone mentioned that we don't need a phenomenal QB in this offense considering we will be running the ball so much.

Anything can change at any point.  I think last year was just a bad year overall and I wont hold that against Matt.  Also, I watched his interview at GoUSFbulls.com and he spoke very well.  Like a captain.  He said regardless of who is named starting QB he will support them.  Maybe he already knew or maybe that is all you really can say but either way it was good to hear.  Hopefully we can make something happen and he can be our guy for a couple of years.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

I guess to counter myself being the pessimist here I will point out that BJ made strides he had not made in 5 years over an offseason in SF (reading blitz and throwing hot). So who is to say Floyd wasn't plagued by terrible lack of coaching as well.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

CWT sees him every day and one thing about Floyd I love is he BLEEDS green and gold.  That alone will elevate others on the offense to play their heart outs for the guy.  If that leads to good blocking up front and a running game, he won't have to be Peyton Manning back there to be effective.  Look, if we can run the ball and play some decent defense, then leadership on the field to execute the details is all you need at QB.

Floyd is still a young kid so guys need to temper expectations.  Most guys break out their Junior/Senior year so he could end up being an absolute stud though this year could still be one of growing pains.  Keep that in mind.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Does anyone know what HS Floyd came from? Is he a local kid?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

Does anyone know what HS Floyd came from? Is he a local kid?

Milton, Florida ... panhandle, almost on the Bama border..

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I guess to counter myself being the pessimist here I will point out that BJ made strides he had not made in 5 years over an offseason in SF (reading blitz and throwing hot). So who is to say Floyd wasn't plagued by terrible lack of coaching as well.

A single decent cameo appearance against third stringers and suddenly he is All World?  Interesting idea.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Should be interesting what tags does when mcneese is winning at halfime

Fire the defensive coordinator ....

That's just it. The DC's defenses in the past only shined when the team had a top 5 offense keeping them off the field and HoF caliber talent.  When the team had neither they were disasters of epic proportions.