• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Soccer-can it become a revenue sport? (Nationwide)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

No. It can't.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  19

Now, someone tried take the question, can it break even ... and that might be a long way off. But it can certainly produce revenue.

Tickets are very cheap, please remember, we don't average $7 a person, we probably average $2 a person. Students are the biggest block at the games, and they don't pay (on an event by event basis), all kids get in free, players families and guests are next, athletic staff and their families. So, all those are $0 in the ledger. Then there are season ticket holders like me, my tickets probably only average $3 each. There may only be 100 fans or so at a game that pay the $7. Side note, see my post on the ticket exchange board for a really good deal on soccer season tickets.

The fact that our men's team is incredible and that we have a great atmosphere at our matches certainly helps. I bet if more people would just come out, they would probably come back.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748
  • Days Won:  3

Just curious...I know that x-amount of persons attending football and basketball are not necessarily alumni, but do attend USF games for entertainment. Is there any sort of local draw to USF soccer, or is it pretty much an in-the-know kind of following? 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I only see it as a money producing sport if the interest grows in the sport to where it can be meaningful enough to garner some kind of tv contract.

Right now, once your school is out of the tournament, does any one really care or watch the rest of the college season? Football, basketball (mens and ladies), baseball and softball all draw some level of interest and viewership to the end. Until there is enough interest to support that, I don't see it making money.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  19

Just curious...I know that x-amount of persons attending football and basketball are not necessarily alumni, but do attend USF games for entertainment. Is there any sort of local draw to USF soccer, or is it pretty much an in-the-know kind of following? 

Soccer does a good job reaching out to youth sports. So, there is a local draw from that angle. We don't get enough non usf sports fans who just realize that USF is playing at a very high level.

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

We have 2 season tickets in the $10.00 seat area. I know that there are at least 4 other season tickets sold in the $10.00 seat area. Of the 6 seats involved I think that 3 of us did not attend USF.

• Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741

if it were up to me college soccer wouldn't exist.

it hurts our national program and our pro league. Young talent should go to academys rather than setting a goal of going to college to play soccer.

A nice article about MLS academies.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/07/13/mls-academies-are-paying-off-big/4FmtS9yARMXNAbFeWw9pGI/story.html

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,682
  • Days Won:  8

Only if American Football dies... which with concerns over concussions, and parents concerned for their kids.... in 50 years, I could see Soccer being a lot more popular, but it could still be in the same spot also... maybe approaching the level of basketball? 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Not until we stop calling it soccer an start calling it futbol

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

According to a recent ESPN poll, soccer is now the second favorite sport among 15-24 year olds.  The times, they are a changin'.