• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Soccer-can it become a revenue sport? (Nationwide)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

This question has been on my mind for  a while now. 

We've seen, in recent years, the expansion of the hispanic population at a rather rapid pace, both through legal and illegal means. Not only that, within 20 years hispanics will be a major element of the U.S. population. With them comes the advent of serious interest in soccer, which is already growing at a fairly strong place. Moreover, the U.S. soccer team has shown a lot of strength recently and has started to compete quite well at the international level. 

With that in mind, soccer seems to have become a fairly large draw and may well be on the cusp of becoming a big time American sport. I have friends now who I would never have though of as being soccer fans watching the game.

So, to restate the question:

Within 20 years, can we expect soccer to be a college revenue sport alongside football and basketball, or am I just dreaming?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

Is it a revenue sport at any colleges?

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Is it a revenue sport at any colleges?

Not at the current time no. My question is whether it can become one. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  1

Will pigs eventually be able to fly?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Days Won:  19

I definitely believe that soccer can become a revenue producing sport; but I believe that it would have to do it on the professional level first.  

Edited by Bear-Soflo

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Will pigs eventually be able to fly?

ðŸ–✈ðŸ´

Edited by Skingraft

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

This question has been on my mind for  a while now. 

We've seen, in recent years, the expansion of the hispanic population at a rather rapid pace, both through legal and illegal means. Not only that, within 20 years hispanics will be a major element of the U.S. population. With them comes the advent of serious interest in soccer, which is already growing at a fairly strong place. Moreover, the U.S. soccer team has shown a lot of strength recently and has started to compete quite well at the international level. 

With that in mind, soccer seems to have become a fairly large draw and may well be on the cusp of becoming a big time American sport. I have friends now who I would never have though of as being soccer fans watching the game.

So, to restate the question:

Within 20 years, can we expect soccer to be a college revenue sport alongside football and basketball, or am I just dreaming?

Dreaming. Do the math on how much the staff is paid, scholarships, equipment, scouting, etc (I have no basis for any of this other than making **** up, but lets say $1,000,000). 12 home games, so that's about $80k a game. $7 a ticket and let's round everyone up to $10 for a concession stand visit. We only need to pull in around 8,000 people a game. Louisville last year brought in about 1400. So either we need to raise our tickets to $100 apiece or I need to have a lot more than two Cuban sons who like USF soccer and want to go to games.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748
  • Days Won:  3

Tough call.

Not really sure I'd rely on a given demographic to raise the sport to revenue level. It's going to need much more broad appeal before it reaches the lower rungs of football/basketball/baseball level. A good indicator would be what the TV ratings for the college championship (I'm just assuming there is such a thing, I really wouldn't know) as compared to other championships. 

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

if it were up to me college soccer wouldn't exist.

it hurts our national program and our pro league. Young talent should go to academys rather than setting a goal of going to college to play soccer.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I definitely believe that soccer can become a revenue producing sport; but I believe that it would have to do it on the professional level first.  

are you lost?

MLS is raking.