• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Soccer-can it become a revenue sport? (Nationwide)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,334
  • Days Won:  10

The ten year trend is not what was said. I read the the article too. It looks like a great business model, but it doesn't mean a thing today. The comment made, which I was arguing against, was that the MLS was "raking it in." Prove it.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/11/21/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx?

"...despite the high attendance and with revenue at an all-time high, fewer than one-third of the league's teams will make a profit this season. Even the Galaxy, with an estimated value of more than $100 million, will finish in the red."

You are right.  You are all knowing.  Everyone else is wrong.  

So sorry.  Moving on.

Don't argue with him, he is right in his mind.     I guess when minorities become the majority and soccer/futbol takes over he will still be right.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

The ten year trend is not what was said. I read the the article too. It looks like a great business model, but it doesn't mean a thing today. The comment made, which I was arguing against, was that the MLS was "raking it in." Prove it.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/11/21/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx?

"...despite the high attendance and with revenue at an all-time high, fewer than one-third of the league's teams will make a profit this season. Even the Galaxy, with an estimated value of more than $100 million, will finish in the red."

You are right. You are all knowing. Everyone else is wrong.

So sorry. Moving on.

Don't argue with him, he is right in his mind. I guess when minorities become the majority and soccer/futbol takes over he will still be right.

Where in my argument did I say the MLS wouldn't make good money in the future? In fact, I said it looks like they have a solid business model and plan to exoand down the road. I'm just waiting for you or Data to produce something that says the league is flush with cash in the present.

I think Data tried to use the Adidas contract in his argument before. 8 years, $200 million. So that's what, about $1.25 per team, per year. I believe his exact words were, "The MLS makes more on their ADIDAS contract alone than the AAC does in TV revenue. You don't know anything about the MLS." Well, the AAC contract pays $2 million a year. I know that's more than $1.25 million.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

Please no more pro sports in Tampa. I want the bulls to be the only show in town. Let the soccer crowd get a fix from USF soccer. USF athletics already competes with the bucs and the rays, please no MLS.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

So sorry.  Moving on.

Don't argue with him, he is right in his mind.     I guess when minorities become the majority and soccer/futbol takes over he will still be right.

Minorities are the only soccer fans?

I think not. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

So sorry.  Moving on.

Minorities are the only soccer fans?

I think not. 

I thought that was an odd statement as well. Soccer is a worldwide sport.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Orlando City SC â€@OrlandoCitySC41m

@OCPres announces the championship match attendance of 20,889 was a record for any minor league sport in the US!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

No. It can't.

Only response to question needed

If you want to be wrong.

I don't think he's wrong.  I don't think college soccer will be a revenue producing sport, certainly not in our life time.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Everyone I talk to points out that Soccer struggles to adapt to American Television market which is not only a huge source of income but the primary advertising of professional sports.  Still somehow NASCAR is popular with many Americans and it has continuous action.  They seem to do OK with both limited breaks and occasionally split screen advertising.