• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Soccer-can it become a revenue sport? (Nationwide)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Only if American Football dies... which with concerns over concussions, and parents concerned for their kids.... in 50 years, I could see Soccer being a lot more popular, but it could still be in the same spot also... maybe approaching the level of basketball? 

Concussions? Isn't futbol 10 times worse due to the heading of balls?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Louisville last year brought in about 1400. So either we need to raise our tickets to $100 apiece or I need to have a lot more than two Cuban sons who like USF soccer and want to go to games.

I wasn't so sure if your statement was more along the sarcastic lines, but it'd surprise me if you knew some futbol-crazy Cubanos. Cubans, generally, aren't all that into soccer. Actually, that goes for most of the Carribbean where baseball, track and field, and even cricket are often the most followed sports in many Carribbean countries. South and Central America tend to be a little more futbol-crazy.

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Only if American Football dies... which with concerns over concussions, and parents concerned for their kids.... in 50 years, I could see Soccer being a lot more popular, but it could still be in the same spot also... maybe approaching the level of basketball? 

Concussions? Isn't futbol 10 times worse due to the heading of balls?

Not 10 times worse, but it is an issue.  But I haven't seen a rash of former soccer players killing themselves the way former NFL players do.  So I'm thinking it isn't as bad.  You do see some players using headgear now in soccer.  I think that usage will increase.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Louisville last year brought in about 1400. So either we need to raise our tickets to $100 apiece or I need to have a lot more than two Cuban sons who like USF soccer and want to go to games.

I wasn't so sure if your statement was more along the sarcastic lines, but it'd surprise me if you knew some futbol-crazy Cubanos. Cubans, generally, aren't all that into soccer. Actually, that goes for most of the Carribbean where baseball, track and field, and even cricket are often the most followed sports in many Carribbean countries. South and Central America tend to be a little more futbol-crazy.

My wife is Cuban. Her family doesn't understand football, but they love futbol.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I definitely believe that soccer can become a revenue producing sport; but I believe that it would have to do it on the professional level first.

are you lost?

MLS is raking.

The MLS isn't raking. They're stable. They lack a good TV contract which is what is most important to revenues in professional football.

They're trying to expand for those hefty expansion fees that te NHL fell in love with in the 90s

• Topic Count:  2,331
  • Content Count:  21,297
  • Days Won:  10

I definitely believe that soccer can become a revenue producing sport; but I believe that it would have to do it on the professional level first.

are you lost?

MLS is raking.

The MLS isn't raking. They're stable. They lack a good TV contract which is what is most important to revenues in professional football.

They're trying to expand for those hefty expansion fees that te NHL fell in love with in the 90s

Link to MLS financial information please?

According to the league itself, only 2 teams turned a profit in 2009.

• Topic Count:  2,331
  • Content Count:  21,297
  • Days Won:  10

Link please because why would they be adding more teams if the teams they have are not making profit?

Google - "mls revenue"

Take your pick of which site you'd prefer to tell you the same thing. I'd say "stable" is a good description of the league. "Raking it in" might be pushing it when the average salary is less than a first year teacher in Hillsborough county.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

My wife is Cuban. Her family doesn't understand football, but they love futbol.

Pretty atypical but good to hear. If they love futbol, I bet they're huge fans of La Liga in Spain.