• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Soccer-can it become a revenue sport? (Nationwide)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I know the AAC makes more per team than an MLS franchise does in TV revenue. And I've yet to hear anyone say we're kicking ass. And I've never been to a Salem's here in Tampa, but I know McDonald's is doing a bit better than they are business-wise.

And I always love the "clearly you don't know..." argument. It's much better than producing a single fact showing the MLS is turning huge profits.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I know the AAC makes more per team than an MLS franchise does in TV revenue. And I've yet to hear anyone say we're kicking ass. And I've never been to a Salem's here in Tampa, but I know McDonald's is doing a bit better than they are business-wise.

The MLS makes more on their ADIDAS contract alone than the AAC does in TV revenue.  You don't know anything about the MLS, their finances, or their ten year trend financially.

The ten year trend is not what was said. I read the the article too. It looks like a great business model, but it doesn't mean a thing today. The comment made, which I was arguing against, was that the MLS was "raking it in." Prove it.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/11/21/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx?

"...despite the high attendance and with revenue at an all-time high, fewer than one-third of the league's teams will make a profit this season. Even the Galaxy, with an estimated value of more than $100 million, will finish in the red."

Edited by JTrue

The ten year trend is not what was said. I read the the article too. It looks like a great business model, but it doesn't mean a thing today. The comment made, which I was arguing against, was that the MLS was "raking it in." Prove it.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2011/11/21/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/MLS.aspx?

"...despite the high attendance and with revenue at an all-time high, fewer than one-third of the league's teams will make a profit this season. Even the Galaxy, with an estimated value of more than $100 million, will finish in the red."

You are right.  You are all knowing.  Everyone else is wrong.  

So sorry.  Moving on.

I'm more than willing to be convinced the league is blowing up. I'd love for Tampa to get another shot. I just don't see it right now in the articles I've read.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no

I'm more than willing to be convinced the league is blowing up. I'd love for Tampa to get another shot. I just don't see it right now in the articles I've read.

I'd love to see the Rowdies get into the MLS and return to a trendsetting team they were back in the 70s.  I have many fond memories of huge games in The Big Sombrero. 

But despite the privately funded organization (Tampa Bay VSI) that claims to be able to get a team for the MLS, I don't see an MLS team in Tampa any time soon.  Right now Orlando, Atlanta and Miami seem to be way ahead of Tampa in terms of preparation and discussions with the MLS.  I think it'd be tough to sell a team in Tampa along with one in Miami.  If the Orlando organization falls short, then Tampa has a chance.  We'll probably know in the next couple of months whether Orlando is in or out.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'd love to see the Rowdies get into the MLS and return to a trendsetting team they were back in the 70s.  I have many fond memories of huge games in The Big Sombrero. 

But despite the privately funded organization (Tampa Bay VSI) that claims to be able to get a team for the MLS, I don't see an MLS team in Tampa any time soon.  Right now Orlando, Atlanta and Miami seem to be way ahead of Tampa in terms of preparation and discussions with the MLS.  I think it'd be tough to sell a team in Tampa along with one in Miami.  If the Orlando organization falls short, then Tampa has a chance.  We'll probably know in the next couple of months whether Orlando is in or out.

Most of that Rowdies' heyday was pre-Bucs; I don't foresee that ever coming back to that same exact level while there are other professional sports franchises occupying the Tampa Bay market.

Most of that Rowdies' heyday was pre-Bucs; I don't foresee that ever coming back to that same exact level while there are other professional sports franchises occupying the Tampa Bay market.

I agree.  But I can dream.

I agree.  But I can dream.

Actually, though, it wasn't pre-Bucs.  The Rowdies first season was 1975, that was only one year before the Bucs.  Many people still did not know the Rowdies existed at that point.  The Rowdies biggest years were years when the Bucs were in town.

But certainly there wasn't a baseball team to compete with in the summer.