• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard: USF Serious About an On-Campus Football Stadium Now

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Is there some setting that I can set to ignore a thread?  Or, even better, ignore threads with keywords like...I don't know...OCS?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

Is there some setting that I can set to ignore a thread?  Or, even better, ignore threads with keywords like...I don't know...OCS?

You can set your mouse finger to click on "Next Unread Topic" when you see 'ocs' ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

USF will be able to fill 50,000 seats in an OCS, especially against in-state rivals. If we have a good first year under CWT, I would imagine the donors hop on the bus and we can expect an OCS in 5 years.

Very optimistic; I hope so but don't see that happening. Tampa loves a winner and to jump onto the next buzzworthy thing. USF was that thing in 2007, then our football team faceplanted in conference play. That was an incredible year for USF football in Tampa, while it lasted.  

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

USF will be able to fill 50,000 seats in an OCS, especially against in-state rivals. If we have a good first year under CWT, I would imagine the donors hop on the bus and we can expect an OCS in 5 years.

Tampa fans aren't known for loyalty.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8227c1f1/article/fans-stay-away-from-bucs-games-blackout-streak-at-10

Fans stay away from Bucs games; blackout streak at 10

============================================================================================

The Bucs say that the stadium had been selling out every game from 1998 to 2010 but the Glazers had been buying unsold tickets so who knows the truth? Thing of it is, who wants to see USF play Memphis or Tulane, etc.. The Big East games were against teams people wanted to see such as WVU or teams people wanted to see USF beat like Rutgers. Now USF is going to be playing teams from the island of misfit toys. 

I don't see an OCS happening unless its part of a deal USF has to make to get into the Power 5, which I don't see as a requirement either.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,458
  • Days Won:  25

Today's Trib talks about the City and $100mil for the Rays. IF we get an OCS, I think it will have to be nearly 100% funded privately.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  325
  • Days Won:  0

How did UCF, FIU and FAU finace their stadiums?  I assume the we would follow a similar track.

Edited by BurghBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

How did UCF, FIU and FAU finace their stadiums?

Considering the finished product, I'm thinking UCF had bake sales and car washes ...

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

How did UCF, FIU and FAU finace their stadiums?

Considering the finished product, I'm thinking UCF had bake sales and car washes ...

I heard Knightro worked late nights on OBT...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

How did UCF, FIU and FAU finace their stadiums?  I assume the we would follow a similar track.

One of the two close to Miami was so broke after they couldn't afford to have their cheerleaders go with them to away games. FAU I think is the one that was so hard hit financially.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748
  • Days Won:  3

And remember, animosity for the Glazers aside, an NFL caliber stadium availability is not something that FAU, FIU or UCF had. UCF was playing in the ancient ruins of the Citrus Bowl and needed the OCS to continue play while the Citrus Bowl was revamped. 

FAU: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAU_Stadium

Although initial plans for a new stadium hinted at the possibility of a 40,000-seat domed facility, later plans called for a 30,000-seat open air stadium. The steel stadium would allow for future expansion up to 65,000 seats as well as a roof if needed. The architect for the stadium was finalized in July 2008 when the firms of HKS and Schenkel Shultz were awarded the contract, finishing ahead ofEllerbe Becket and HOK.[2] The new football stadium was projected to cost $70 million.[3] To fund the stadium's construction, FAU secured a $12 million development rights deal with Crocker Partners LLC. In return, Crocker Partners secured the right to develop up to 2,400 new apartment-style beds on the Boca Raton campus; the first phase of 1,200 beds opened the fall 2011.[4] On July 21, 2010, FAU trustees approved $44.6 million finance plan from Regions Bank.[5] 

FIU:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIU_Stadium

FIU Community Stadium was the first dedicated sports facility at the school, replacing Tamiami Field. Construction officially began on July 24, 1994 and the facility opened on September 24, 1995, as a 7,500-seat football and track stadium. It was built as a joint venture between FIU, Miami-Dade County Public SchoolsMiami-Dade Parks, and the Miami-Dade County Youth Fair.[1] In anticipation of the inaugural FIU Golden Panthers football[Note 1] season in fall 2002, the university placed movable bleachers around the stadium's all-weather running track in 2001, which increased the stadium's capacity to 17,000 seats.

Renovation [edit]
Years Stadium capacity 1995–2001 7,500[3] 2002–2007 17,000[6] 2008–2011 18,000[7] 2012–present 20,000

In 2007, the university announced a major expansion and redesign for FIU Stadium. The redesign of FIU Stadium would increase the stadium's capacity to 45,000 fans, to be built in phases. For the first phase of the expansion, the school demolished a large portion of the original 1995 stadium. The west, south and east sides of FIU Stadium were taken down and construction began on the new, permanent stadium. The expansion was completed in September 2008 for the2008 football season. Phase one increased the stadium's capacity from 17,000 fans from 18,000, including 1,500 club seats.[8] During construction, the 2007 FIU Golden Panthers football team played its home games in the Miami Orange Bowl.