• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Doug Woolard: USF Serious About an On-Campus Football Stadium Now

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

This thread is hilarious.  He didn't say a thing that was new and a stadium is still at least ten years, but there is all this excitement over nothing.  

Looks to me like Woolard knew exactly what to say...

Then don't reply.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The fact that he speaking publicly about it shows that there is some serious thought behind an OCS. Exciting news. I can't wait for that day

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

The fact that he speaking publicly about it shows that there is some serious thought behind an OCS. Exciting news. I can't wait for that day

Has he ever refused to answer a question about an ocs?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,683
  • Days Won:  108

We don't put 40-50K butts in seats right now in one of the top 2 stadiums in the U.S. Why would we all of the sudden have a massive increase in attendance with an OCS?

Continue to grow the program, update facilities and the rest will take care of itself.

We averaged 44,130 last season, and it was probably one of the worst football seasons in our history.

Only problem being that 1/2 of those were $10/game tickets.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

He's never gone that in depth. Usually it's the canned, "we'd love a OCS, RJS is great. The end."

He's never gone that in depth. Usually it's the canned, "we'd love a OCS, RJS is great. The end."

I agree that I've never heard him talk that in depth about it but I think the point he was hammering home was not exciting news for the "I want it now" ocs proponents. He mentioned the economy/economic more than once and he mentioned more than once about amenities USF fans were used to. I think his point was just shut the **** up about an ocs until you have somebody with $250 million ready to kick it off. He ended with the "RJS is great" speech .... Again like Greg said, nothing he said indicated anything had changed from the administration's point of view.

I really don't understand how, considering the cut in pay we've been hit with, some people would think we were any closer to an ocs now than we have been ...

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

A recent thread had a USF plan with a footprint of a stadium just south of the Dome. That would be the perfect place, in amongst all the other athletic facilities.

I posted that information here:

http://thebullspen.com/index.php/topic/91491-some-interesting-insider-talk-on-an-ocs/?view=findpost&p=1160436

The south of the Sun Dome location was the previous holding space, before the new Muma practice facility and Sun Dome renovations took place. 

The 2nd picture in that link is the newest Master Plan.  The new holding place is north of the Track Stadium.  You can see the newer Master plan keeps this area clear (one of the only spaces left.) 

Also notice the tennis courts now located in the S.E corner of campus, at the end of the currenlty empty, dead-end road that runs behind the baseball/softball stadiums. (This road was where originally the Greek Village was planned LONG AGO.)

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

With the lack of $ that we will be making in the AAC, short of a major donation, I just don't see this getting done for years as long as we are outside the P5.

I would tend to agree, but what about all the money we are due from the departures? Or is that what will sustain us util we can get out of the AAC?

A recent thread had a USF plan with a footprint of a stadium just south of the Dome. That would be the perfect place, in amongst all the other athletic facilities.

I posted that information here:

http://thebullspen.com/index.php/topic/91491-some-interesting-insider-talk-on-an-ocs/?view=findpost&p=1160436

The south of the Sun Dome location was the previous holding space, before the new Muma practice facility and Sun Dome renovations took place. 

The 2nd picture in that link is the newest Master Plan.  The new holding place is north of the Track Stadium.  You can see the newer Master plan keeps this area clear (one of the only spaces left.) 

Also notice the tennis courts now located in the S.E corner of campus, at the end of the currenlty empty, dead-end road that runs behind the baseball/softball stadiums. (This road was where originally the Greek Village was planned LONG AGO.)

See that now .... Still liked the one near the dome better, keeping everything together. How often do they update the master plan?

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

How about http://kylefield.com for a model?   More seriously, when we decide to do an on campus stadium, we need to forget about building an NFL type of stadium with posh amenities.  We don't need lounge areas like the RJS end zones where fans are oblivious to what is happening on the field.  That would be a major negative in my opninion and is probably the number one reason why the in game atmosphere suffers at Raymond James.  Put concession and mingling areas behind the stands.

We need corporate suites because they pay for themselves and more with the donation costs.  We need an enclosed bowl for atmosphere, and we need the ability to get up to 85,000 or so for future expansion.  That number may sound ridiculous now, but there is no telling what the future holds; it might as well be planned at the start.

The stadium should be designed for maximum noise to make it to the field, and for focus on the game.  I'm not sure we shoud even have individual seats instead of benches, or maybe a combination of both.  Notre Dame had benches and it was a great game atmosphere.  The benches at old Tampa Stadium weren't bad either.

We don't need a palace of luxuries.  We need a home for the Bulls.

Go Bulls!

Funny...your description is an exact fit for UCF's Bright House Networks Stadium.

Yeah, and notice all the support he's gotten. DW pretty much put the kibosh to building something like that ... of course, RayJay could get condemned.

I never said we should build something as spartan as UCF's stadium.  I think we should build concrete, probably with athletic dorms in the stadium.  I just think that some of the  "features" people think should be there are not needed and in my case not wanted.

Go Bulls!