• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Post Game USF/UCF Fan Interaction Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry, Knights, there is no rivalry

Mike Bianchi | SPORTS COMMENTARY

October 14, 2007

TAMPA

Maybe UCF should start a rivalry with Edward Waters College.

Or Webber International.

Or some other in-state team more in its league -- like, say, Edgewater High School.

Or, better yet, if the Knights drop down to Division I-AA right now maybe they can compete with Appalachian State in about five years.

What exactly did the final score end up being, anyway? I quit paying attention when South Florida's third-team quarterback threw a touchdown pass. Oh, here it is on the postgame notes -- USF Bulls 64, UCF Gnats 12.

Let all of us who have pressured, prodded and pushed for USF to continue this annual series with UCF please cease and desist. And let everybody associated with UCF just be thankful that there is but one game left with USF.

This is, after all, getting embarrassing.

In fact, maybe the Knights should just forfeit next year's game and end this series now.

Before they get somebody hurt.

Tampa Tribune sportswriter Martin Fennelly put it best in his pregame column Saturday when he referred to UCF as "The University of Central Bug on the Windshield."

And, so, that resounding splat you heard Saturday afternoon was insect intestines plastered on the grill of USF's runaway 18-wheeler. The last time USF scored more than 50 points in a game was four years ago against Charleston Southern. Now they've done it again -- against Orlando Eastern.

Let it be noted that the only three programs USF has ever beaten worse are Kentucky Wesleyan, Cumberland and Austin Peay. Congratulations, UCF, you put up more of a fight than Peay did.

USF was the oncoming freight train Saturday; UCF was the '83 Yugo conked out in the middle of the railroad tracks. USF was the wooden club; UCF was the skull of the baby seal. USF had 543 yards of total offense; UCF 145.

Sign held up by USF fan Saturday: "What does I-4 and UCF's offense have in common? It takes them both three hours to go 100 yards."

The War on I-4? Puh-leeze. This was the Bore on I-4. The Snore on I-4. The Run-Up-the-Score on I-4.

By the way, did I really pick UCF to win? Memo to Human Resources: You're welcome to take my urine sample first thing Monday morning, but I'm telling you the Walgreens pharmacist told me it was flaxseed oil.

This is what happens when you get sucked into the UCF delusion; when you actually start believing the Knights are on the same level as USF. In reality, what we saw Saturday is what typically happens when a BCS power plays a non-BCS patsy.

Let us not take anything away from USF. The Bulls are a good team, maybe even a great one. They are national championship contenders for a reason. Grothe should be a Heisman candidate. Defensive end George Selvie is virtually unblockable. And Jim Leavitt should be Florida State's next coach -- and the Seminoles might want to consider hiring him now.

But this isn't about how good USF is; it's about how bad UCF is. South Florida is the No. 5 team in the nation. UCF, right now, doesn't even look like No. 5 team in Conference USA. The sad fact is that Division I-AA Elon was more competitive against USF earlier in the season. And so was Florida Atlantic last week.

After such an embarrassing loss in such an important game, you have to start questioning the direction of the UCF program under Coach George O'Leary. Not only is he now 0-3 against USF, but his team yielded more points Saturday than any team in UCF's Division I-A history. Here we are in Year 4 of the O'Leary era and -- at least right now -- his team looks no better than it did in Year 1. And, yes, the Knights were 0-11 in Year 1.

O'Leary is supposed to be a defensive genius, but his team has given up 116 points in the last two games. O'Leary is supposed to teach sound, fundamental football, but his team has committed 18 turnovers in six games, eight in the past two weeks.

UCF President John Hitt was obviously disappointed in the loss Saturday, but said he is still behind O'Leary.

"George is my kind of coach," Hitt said. "He's going to build us a great program."

He had better get started ASAP because the clock is ticking.

Just a few short weeks ago, the biggest controversy Hitt faced was a lack of water fountains at UCF's new stadium.

Now the program will likely face a much more daunting, debilitating problem:

A lack of fans.

Mike Bianchi can be reached at mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com

That's cute.

And that was your hometown guy writing that drivel. Just sayin

And yes I know he's a hater, but it was still allowed to be published.

The slantinel nickname is well deserved, unfortunately.

Edited by WarLax

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

If our offense had any pulse I would be looking forward to this game.

I don't think it's a blowout though. Our defense will keep game in check.

This is our superbowl cwt better get the team pumped for the game.

Please, he couldn't motivate a fat kid to a MoonPie.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Sorry, Knights, there is no rivalry

Mike Bianchi | SPORTS COMMENTARY

October 14, 2007

TAMPA

Maybe UCF should start a rivalry with Edward Waters College.

Or Webber International.

Or some other in-state team more in its league -- like, say, Edgewater High School.

Or, better yet, if the Knights drop down to Division I-AA right now maybe they can compete with Appalachian State in about five years.

What exactly did the final score end up being, anyway? I quit paying attention when South Florida's third-team quarterback threw a touchdown pass. Oh, here it is on the postgame notes -- USF Bulls 64, UCF Gnats 12.

Let all of us who have pressured, prodded and pushed for USF to continue this annual series with UCF please cease and desist. And let everybody associated with UCF just be thankful that there is but one game left with USF.

This is, after all, getting embarrassing.

In fact, maybe the Knights should just forfeit next year's game and end this series now.

Before they get somebody hurt.

Tampa Tribune sportswriter Martin Fennelly put it best in his pregame column Saturday when he referred to UCF as "The University of Central Bug on the Windshield."

And, so, that resounding splat you heard Saturday afternoon was insect intestines plastered on the grill of USF's runaway 18-wheeler. The last time USF scored more than 50 points in a game was four years ago against Charleston Southern. Now they've done it again -- against Orlando Eastern.

Let it be noted that the only three programs USF has ever beaten worse are Kentucky Wesleyan, Cumberland and Austin Peay. Congratulations, UCF, you put up more of a fight than Peay did.

USF was the oncoming freight train Saturday; UCF was the '83 Yugo conked out in the middle of the railroad tracks. USF was the wooden club; UCF was the skull of the baby seal. USF had 543 yards of total offense; UCF 145.

Sign held up by USF fan Saturday: "What does I-4 and UCF's offense have in common? It takes them both three hours to go 100 yards."

The War on I-4? Puh-leeze. This was the Bore on I-4. The Snore on I-4. The Run-Up-the-Score on I-4.

By the way, did I really pick UCF to win? Memo to Human Resources: You're welcome to take my urine sample first thing Monday morning, but I'm telling you the Walgreens pharmacist told me it was flaxseed oil.

This is what happens when you get sucked into the UCF delusion; when you actually start believing the Knights are on the same level as USF. In reality, what we saw Saturday is what typically happens when a BCS power plays a non-BCS patsy.

Let us not take anything away from USF. The Bulls are a good team, maybe even a great one. They are national championship contenders for a reason. Grothe should be a Heisman candidate. Defensive end George Selvie is virtually unblockable. And Jim Leavitt should be Florida State's next coach -- and the Seminoles might want to consider hiring him now.

But this isn't about how good USF is; it's about how bad UCF is. South Florida is the No. 5 team in the nation. UCF, right now, doesn't even look like No. 5 team in Conference USA. The sad fact is that Division I-AA Elon was more competitive against USF earlier in the season. And so was Florida Atlantic last week.

After such an embarrassing loss in such an important game, you have to start questioning the direction of the UCF program under Coach George O'Leary. Not only is he now 0-3 against USF, but his team yielded more points Saturday than any team in UCF's Division I-A history. Here we are in Year 4 of the O'Leary era and -- at least right now -- his team looks no better than it did in Year 1. And, yes, the Knights were 0-11 in Year 1.

O'Leary is supposed to be a defensive genius, but his team has given up 116 points in the last two games. O'Leary is supposed to teach sound, fundamental football, but his team has committed 18 turnovers in six games, eight in the past two weeks.

UCF President John Hitt was obviously disappointed in the loss Saturday, but said he is still behind O'Leary.

"George is my kind of coach," Hitt said. "He's going to build us a great program."

He had better get started ASAP because the clock is ticking.

Just a few short weeks ago, the biggest controversy Hitt faced was a lack of water fountains at UCF's new stadium.

Now the program will likely face a much more daunting, debilitating problem:

A lack of fans.

Mike Bianchi can be reached at mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com

That's cute.

And that was your hometown guy writing that drivel. Just sayin

And yes I know he's a hater, but it was still allowed to be published.

The slantinel nickname is well deserved, unfortunately.

I think you guys have a pretty decent beat writer now, yes?

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Yes, Paul Tenorio is excellent, and Bianchi has come around in the last year.....now focuses on UF for his trolling...

Bianchi :

The time arrived Thursday night for the No. 18-ranked UCF Knights to go from a team of destiny to a team of dominance.

And right before the very eyes of an ESPN national audience, the cardiac kids grew into alpha males, destroying Rutgers 41-17 and making the Scarlet Knights look like they should be headed to the Big Sky instead of the Big Ten. Rutgers defensive coordinator Dave Cohen was accused of bullying one of his former players earlier this week, but on this night UCF quarterback Blake Bortles and his offensive teammates bullied all of Cohen’s current players.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ucf-rutgers-mike-bianchi-1122-20131121,0,440077.column

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17

We won with Jim, can't say that since.

What exactly did you win? I know it's not conference championships or BCS bowl berths.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

^^ Wow, did you know that was your six-hundred-sixty-sixth post? Thanks for the UCF praise article, Satan. :FIREdevil:

juuuuust kiddin.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I wouldn't call this UCF game our Bowl game.  I'm excited to go to even crappy bowl games.  Rutgers will be our Bowl game.  It's our last real shot (maybe our best shot rather) at a victory.

I am certainly not looking forward to this Friday.  I feel like USF is a slave being drug into the Colosseum this week to fight lions or armored centurions.  All I can see coming is a blood bath.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

^^ Wow, did you know that was your six-hundred-sixty-sixth post? Thanks for the UCF praise article, Satan. :FIREdevil:

juuuuust kiddin.

Raptor........hilarious! I didn't even notice....wanna sell your soul for a victory? :) Happy Thanksgiving Bulls fans

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I took a straw poll of the bullspen and we agreed to sell raptor's soul for a win.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,802

Would like to know the overall feeling of this upcoming game from ucf fans. Obviously our feelings are that ucf will punish us harshly and bury the "64-12" and "4-0" comments.

If i were a ucf fan, i would be pumped for this game only in the sense that it pretty much guarantees a bcs bowl bid. There is too much of a bigger picture panning out here that a "revenge" game won't be the headline. But i could be wrong cuz im not a ucf fan

Here is the general UCF perspective about this game. Knight fans certainly want revenge and to say otherwise would be inaccurate. That being said, we aren't that hyped up about the "revenge/rivalry" aspect of this game for 4 reasons:

1.USF is probably the worst team on our schedule outside of UConn so there is little respect for your team and no mystery about the potential outcome of the game (it isn't "if" we will win but by how much).

2. UCF is playing for something much bigger (BCS) and the thought of being one step closer to clinching will supersede the rivalry aspect of the game.

3. It has been a while since UCF has played USF and there is less animosity about the 4 losses as no current player or student was around when that happened.

4. UCF truly feels they have passed USF in terms of program strength and they don't see USF as that much of a current threat to our rise.

Although I am sure that this post will outrage USF fans (particularly the football no-nothing crowd like the guy who opined that Blake Bortles is immobile and can't throw) but remember this was just an opinion.

While I agree with most of your statements. Saying you have passed us because of one good year is a crock of you know what.