• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Post Game USF/UCF Fan Interaction Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Sorry, Knights, there is no rivalry
Mike Bianchi | SPORTS COMMENTARY
October 14, 2007
TAMPA
Maybe UCF should start a rivalry with Edward Waters College.

Or Webber International.

Or some other in-state team more in its league -- like, say, Edgewater High School.
Or, better yet, if the Knights drop down to Division I-AA right now maybe they can compete with Appalachian State in about five years.

What exactly did the final score end up being, anyway? I quit paying attention when South Florida's third-team quarterback threw a touchdown pass. Oh, here it is on the postgame notes -- USF Bulls 64, UCF Gnats 12.

Let all of us who have pressured, prodded and pushed for USF to continue this annual series with UCF please cease and desist. And let everybody associated with UCF just be thankful that there is but one game left with USF.

This is, after all, getting embarrassing.

In fact, maybe the Knights should just forfeit next year's game and end this series now.

Before they get somebody hurt.

Tampa Tribune sportswriter Martin Fennelly put it best in his pregame column Saturday when he referred to UCF as "The University of Central Bug on the Windshield."

And, so, that resounding splat you heard Saturday afternoon was insect intestines plastered on the grill of USF's runaway 18-wheeler. The last time USF scored more than 50 points in a game was four years ago against Charleston Southern. Now they've done it again -- against Orlando Eastern.

Let it be noted that the only three programs USF has ever beaten worse are Kentucky Wesleyan, Cumberland and Austin Peay. Congratulations, UCF, you put up more of a fight than Peay did.

USF was the oncoming freight train Saturday; UCF was the '83 Yugo conked out in the middle of the railroad tracks. USF was the wooden club; UCF was the skull of the baby seal. USF had 543 yards of total offense; UCF 145.

Sign held up by USF fan Saturday: "What does I-4 and UCF's offense have in common? It takes them both three hours to go 100 yards."

The War on I-4? Puh-leeze. This was the Bore on I-4. The Snore on I-4. The Run-Up-the-Score on I-4.

By the way, did I really pick UCF to win? Memo to Human Resources: You're welcome to take my urine sample first thing Monday morning, but I'm telling you the Walgreens pharmacist told me it was flaxseed oil.

This is what happens when you get sucked into the UCF delusion; when you actually start believing the Knights are on the same level as USF. In reality, what we saw Saturday is what typically happens when a BCS power plays a non-BCS patsy.

Let us not take anything away from USF. The Bulls are a good team, maybe even a great one. They are national championship contenders for a reason. Grothe should be a Heisman candidate. Defensive end George Selvie is virtually unblockable. And Jim Leavitt should be Florida State's next coach -- and the Seminoles might want to consider hiring him now.

But this isn't about how good USF is; it's about how bad UCF is. South Florida is the No. 5 team in the nation. UCF, right now, doesn't even look like No. 5 team in Conference USA. The sad fact is that Division I-AA Elon was more competitive against USF earlier in the season. And so was Florida Atlantic last week.

After such an embarrassing loss in such an important game, you have to start questioning the direction of the UCF program under Coach George O'Leary. Not only is he now 0-3 against USF, but his team yielded more points Saturday than any team in UCF's Division I-A history. Here we are in Year 4 of the O'Leary era and -- at least right now -- his team looks no better than it did in Year 1. And, yes, the Knights were 0-11 in Year 1.

O'Leary is supposed to be a defensive genius, but his team has given up 116 points in the last two games. O'Leary is supposed to teach sound, fundamental football, but his team has committed 18 turnovers in six games, eight in the past two weeks.

UCF President John Hitt was obviously disappointed in the loss Saturday, but said he is still behind O'Leary.

"George is my kind of coach," Hitt said. "He's going to build us a great program."

He had better get started ASAP because the clock is ticking.

Just a few short weeks ago, the biggest controversy Hitt faced was a lack of water fountains at UCF's new stadium.

Now the program will likely face a much more daunting, debilitating problem:

A lack of fans.

Mike Bianchi can be reached at mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

UCF invasion shows how significant USF is as an opponent is to them, despite what they say.

I think a half dozen of us (at least) signed up in response to ShadowBull making consistently inane, nonsensical postings.  That said, I do agree with you, outside of maybe the freshman/sophomores who are relatively new the majority of us UCF fans care a great deal.  

I'd add that I think many UCF fans talk that way because there IS some fear that we will manage to lose this game.  I disagree with the other UCF fan that says the BCS implications will supersede the rivalry nature of the game.  I grew up an Iowa Hawkeye fan and in the past decade the Hawkeyes have lost far too many times to a vastly inferior Iowa State team.  In 2004 (iirc) it would end up being their only loss, locking them out of a chance at the national title and relegating them to a #4 national ranking entering their bowl.  

There is always a chance for crazy things to happen in games like this and while I am confident in UCF, I still have my worries and I am unwilling to proclaim a massive beat down (however much I hope it occurs!) as a sure thing.

Edited by WarLax
  • Upvote 1

There are so many reasons to end series
By JOHN ROMANO, Times Columnist
Published October 14, 2007

TAMPA
- Have you Bulls had enough yet?

Because Central Florida can give you more of where that came from.

If need be, these Knights can wheeze until sunset. They have spleens galore, and bruises yet to be discovered. So c'mon, you USF sissies, stick around and take your medicine.

Or, as the Black Knight of Monty Python fame once claimed after being dismembered:

All right, we'll call it a draw.

This is the rivalry Central Florida was so desperate to start? This is the game one university spent years lobbying to get? And have the rest of us completely missed the boat on masochism as a major?

In the latest installment of the Snore on I-4, the Bulls made their most concise argument yet to end this series as soon as the final whistle blows in next year's game. After three meetings, the average score has been somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-14, which is sort of like Britney Spears' rivalry with intelligence.

"A rivalry is a game that goes back and forth. You have to beat somebody to say it's a rivalry," cornerback Mike Jenkins said. "We've played them three times and they haven't beaten us yet. Maybe in the future, if they get a win, you can call it a rivalry. But not yet."

Yes, this has been a one-sided affair. Not just on the scoreboard, but in the ante.

USF put its reputation on the field on Saturday. Its No. 5 ranking, too. The Bulls put their hard-to-believe-it-could-happen shot at the national championship game on the line.

And all UCF could wager was its pride.

Woo-hoo, now that's a pot worth winning.

At this point in their development, the Knights have nothing substantial to offer South Florida. They've never been a ranked team. They play in a weaker conference. They are nothing but an upset waiting to happen. Which makes UCF a risk that probably isn't worth taking.

You play some teams because they can boost your profile - which is why the Bulls have Auburn on the schedule.

And you play some teams because they will offer little resistance - which explains the season-opener with Elon.

What you don't often do is play a team that has enough talent to be a threat, but not enough prestige to make it worthwhile. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

"I guess they enjoy it. For me, its just another team," said tackle Walter Walker. "They're a great team, but we want to build our rivalries with phenomenal teams. I want to have a rivalry with Miami, a big-time game."

So, for USF, this is the right time to walk away.

This way, it doesn't appear as if the Bulls are ducking UCF. Nope, they're just tired of slapping the Knights around.

Once they get past next season's game, the two teams are not scheduled to meet again. USF has future games against Miami and Florida, and is in no hurry to draw up new contracts with UCF.

"We're just trying to look at our schedule and see what makes sense from both a home and an away standpoint and then look at what options may come available," USF athletic director Doug Woolard said. "We've had some people call us about some TV games, and some neutral site games. So we're looking at all of that as we move forward."

In other words:

Beat it kid, you're bothering me.

Oh, I suppose you could make a strong argument that UCF is a highly attractive game for USF fans. That playing a school 100 miles down the road generates interest and boosts attendance.

Except USF doesn't necessarily need that hook anymore. If all goes according to plan, the Bulls will have built-in buzz because, most seasons, they'll be challenging for the Big East title and a major bowl.

And UCF is not going to help with that plan.

Is that a Machiavellian attitude? Sure. But the Bulls are not yet in a place where they can afford to be magnanimous about their schedule. The program has had unprecedented growth in a short amount of time, and it cannot afford too many missteps in the future. It's not as if USF's current ranking is guaranteed beyond the next few days.

The Bulls need to continue being aggressive, but they also need to be smart. If they are putting something on the line, they need to make sure there is adequate return on the other side.

Lose a non-conference game to Florida, and you can still claim cache.

Lose a non-conference game to UCF, and you've got some explaining to do.

The bottom line is Central Florida wanted this rivalry because it wanted a chance to measure itself against USF.

And, at this point, the Bulls are more interested in measuring themselves against the nation.

John Romano can be reached at romano@sptimes.com.
Fast facts

On a positive note

UCF was able to make a dent in USF's record books in Saturday's 64-12 loss. Among the records set by the Knights:

11 Tied most punts by a USF opponent

226 Most kickoff-return yards by USF opponent

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/14/Sports..._rea.shtml

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

UCF will stick it to us hard and deep and we deserve every inch of it. We owned them for 4 years straight with a 6-year span in between games. Grothe and Leavitt both continued to give parting shots at UCF even long after the game was over.

It's UCF's turn now.

Sadly, I concur. Good thing they have very small penises.

I'm assuming you concurred with everything he said just to get to the brilliant "small penises" comment ... Well done.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

October 14, 2007

TAMPA

Or Webber International.

Or some other in-state team more in its league -- like, say, Edgewater High School.

Or, better yet, if the Knights drop down to Division I-AA right now maybe they can compete with Appalachian State in about five years.

What exactly did the final score end up being, anyway? I quit paying attention when South Florida's third-team quarterback threw a touchdown pass. Oh, here it is on the postgame notes -- USF Bulls 64, UCF Gnats 12.

Let all of us who have pressured, prodded and pushed for USF to continue this annual series with UCF please cease and desist. And let everybody associated with UCF just be thankful that there is but one game left with USF.

In fact, maybe the Knights should just forfeit next year's game and end this series now.

Tampa Tribune sportswriter Martin Fennelly put it best in his pregame column Saturday when he referred to UCF as "The University of Central Bug on the Windshield."

And, so, that resounding splat you heard Saturday afternoon was insect intestines plastered on the grill of USF's runaway 18-wheeler. The last time USF scored more than 50 points in a game was four years ago against Charleston Southern. Now they've done it again -- against Orlando Eastern.

Let it be noted that the only three programs USF has ever beaten worse are Kentucky Wesleyan, Cumberland and Austin Peay. Congratulations, UCF, you put up more of a fight than Peay did.

USF was the oncoming freight train Saturday; UCF was the '83 Yugo conked out in the middle of the railroad tracks. USF was the wooden club; UCF was the skull of the baby seal. USF had 543 yards of total offense; UCF 145.

Sign held up by USF fan Saturday: "What does I-4 and UCF's offense have in common? It takes them both three hours to go 100 yards."

The War on I-4? Puh-leeze. This was the Bore on I-4. The Snore on I-4. The Run-Up-the-Score on I-4.

By the way, did I really pick UCF to win? Memo to Human Resources: You're welcome to take my urine sample first thing Monday morning, but I'm telling you the Walgreens pharmacist told me it was flaxseed oil.

This is what happens when you get sucked into the UCF delusion; when you actually start believing the Knights are on the same level as USF. In reality, what we saw Saturday is what typically happens when a BCS power plays a non-BCS patsy.

Let us not take anything away from USF. The Bulls are a good team, maybe even a great one. They are national championship contenders for a reason. Grothe should be a Heisman candidate. Defensive end George Selvie is virtually unblockable. And Jim Leavitt should be Florida State's next coach -- and the Seminoles might want to consider hiring him now.

But this isn't about how good USF is; it's about how bad UCF is. South Florida is the No. 5 team in the nation. UCF, right now, doesn't even look like No. 5 team in Conference USA. The sad fact is that Division I-AA Elon was more competitive against USF earlier in the season. And so was Florida Atlantic last week.

After such an embarrassing loss in such an important game, you have to start questioning the direction of the UCF program under Coach George O'Leary. Not only is he now 0-3 against USF, but his team yielded more points Saturday than any team in UCF's Division I-A history. Here we are in Year 4 of the O'Leary era and -- at least right now -- his team looks no better than it did in Year 1. And, yes, the Knights were 0-11 in Year 1.

O'Leary is supposed to be a defensive genius, but his team has given up 116 points in the last two games. O'Leary is supposed to teach sound, fundamental football, but his team has committed 18 turnovers in six games, eight in the past two weeks.

UCF President John Hitt was obviously disappointed in the loss Saturday, but said he is still behind O'Leary.

"George is my kind of coach," Hitt said. "He's going to build us a great program."

Just a few short weeks ago, the biggest controversy Hitt faced was a lack of water fountains at UCF's new stadium.

A lack of fans.

WOW. What a find! Those were the days, eh? Shoe's on the other foot now...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

UCF invasion shows how significant USF is as an opponent is to them, despite what they say.

I don't really know significant we are to them, but to call this an invasion .... ?? You obviously weren't around here for the early to mid 2000's ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Days Won:  0

October 14, 2007

TAMPA

Or Webber International.

A lack of fans.

That's cute.

October 14, 2007

TAMPA

Or Webber International.

A lack of fans.

WOW. What a find! Those were the days, eh? Shoe's on the other foot now...

"The University of Central Bug on the Windshield."   Classic!

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

October 14, 2007

TAMPA

Or Webber International.

A lack of fans.

That's cute.

And that was your hometown guy writing that drivel. Just sayin

And yes I know he's a hater, but it was still allowed to be published.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,683

I don't really know significant we are to them, but to call this an invasion .... ?? You obviously weren't around here for the early to mid 2000's ...

When is the last time any opponents fan base has turned up on the TBP in such numbers....? Maybe two or three on occasion but every thread I read almost has some new UCF fanboy jumping in. 

Also... What I meant to say was: "USF as an opponent is" or "USF is as an opponent"... My grammar really is an embarrassment at times