• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

ChiTribHamilton Brian Hamilton

RT @ralphDrussoAP: Marinatto says Big East members have pledged to stay together & aggressively recruit replacements for Pitt, Syracuse

40 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

This is the worst possible outcome

I don't get it... how can this be worst possible outcome?  Everyone on here seemed to think were headed back to C-USA earlier in the day.  Pitt and Cuse are hardly powerhouses in football.

USF

We played in CUSA with:

TCU

Louisville

Cinci

Houston

ECU

Southern Miss

Memphis

And we'll also have (assuming Rutgers and UConn leave)

WVU

UCF probably

Now I'm sure I'm missing some because I'm doing this quick off the top of my head (being very tired, at that), but I hope you get the idea of my post.

Those are all teams we played with in CUSA that either will be or have potential to be in the new Big East.  Sure, it still may still be called the Big East but that doesn't mean it's not effectively "back to CUSA"

Since then, Louisville and TCU have won a BCS game. Cincy has won the more powerful Big East twice and finished a regular season 12-0. The world isn't the same as it was in 2003 when we entered C-USA.

wasn't navy in Cusa w/ us before or was that army?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

guys lets face it we need another 5-7 years in a BCS conference with success, not 3-4 seasons....and a drive to build an OCS.....then and only then will we be attractive to a SEC

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Navy and Air Force would solve immediate needs.  It would get the conference back to 9 teams, and maybe allow Pitt and the Orange to pay a larger exit fee to leave early.  It would give a little more time to evaluate how best to move to 12 teams, or wait and see how the B12 shakes out and if anyone else wants to expand their league to 14 or 16.

This doesn't feel like permanent, long term solutions to me.  But if it buys us five years, that might be enough to push to the top of a big conference wish list.

I honestly don't think there are permanent solutions.  Even the SEC or Big 10 or ACC wouldn't be a permanent solution.  Everything is really what is good for next 5 - 10 years.

Frankly I think this is an idea solution.  We will have the chance to grow (and hopefully mature) our fan base, improve our reputation, and improve our facilities.  What would we have gotten if the SEC called?  Ray Jay filled w/ more Auburn, TN, FL, or ALabama fans than USF fans.  We would have had a hard time remaining competitive and recruiting given that we would be the "home away from home" for half the teams in our conference.  Give us 10 years to take over tampa and maybe we will be ready...

I am going to be delighted tonight -- if I wakup tomorrow and find ville and WVU bolted to ACC then I'll feel different, but for now, this looks really good for USF!

• Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

We better still secretly do everything to get into the ACC, SEC, or even the Big 12. Committing to the Big East in my opinion is not the right decision.

the ACC and SEC don't want us... B12 if there house falls apart, those are our only options...

What are you basing the ACC or SEC not wanting us on? Everyone keeps saying that..no one is explaining it.

I think if they wanted us, USF would not be mulling it over at this point. We'd be announcing our defection...specifically with the SEC.

How that conversation would go...

..."Judy, this is Mike Slive of the SEC... we'd like we'd like to extend an inv..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"but, we're not splitting the money evenly"

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"and..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"b..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

BINGO!!!

• Content Count:  1,204

I don't consider this the worst possible outcome.  Firstly, we're not losing our AQ status with TCU in the fold and how they finished last year.  Remember that we also are in a position to make a statement ourselves this year as is West Virginia.

Pitt and Syracuse are gone.  Syracuse has been a shell of its former self for a decade or so.  Pitt has constantly performed below expectations.  They are losses on the basketball end of things, but I think ECU has had more impressive wins recently and may have a better overall upside.

Navy would be a great add.  They have done well over the past several years and bring a truly national audience.

So we go forward in the Big East with the weight of this conference on our shoulders.  

Guys, USF will play a pivotal role in determining whether the BE keeps its AQ status.  We can be great this year.  We can be great next year, especially in a statement game against FSU in Tampa.  

So we're now in the position of having to carry this conference on our backs.  This is our moment, to step forward and become an elite program that will be the core of the Big East.

Other than Mizzou moving, I'm not sure if we'll see much more motion.  We might see SMU or BYU added to the Big XII - maybe even Boise St.  The PAC-12 is done.  The ACC is done.  The SEC will add Mizzou and A&M maybe, though I think Baylor and crew will drop any threat of legal action if the Big XII stays together with Texas.  

Louisville has been highly ranked in the fairly recent past.  Cincy has been.  WVU has been.  We have been.  TCU has been.  

We are #17 in the Coaches.  WVU can make a statement against LSU.  We can make a statement in conference play and against the Canes.  

So the goal of the remaining Big East teams is this:  throttle Syracuse and Pitt when you play them.  And for West Virginia and USF, go undefeated heading into December 1 so that the eyes of the college football world focus in on Tampa for an exciting, sold out game at RayJay that could see us send a team to the BCS title game.  Then nobody will be talking about our AQ status for a long time.

• Content Count:  12,293

Which 7 were at the meeting, tcu?

Yes TCU was there

yes someone from TCU was there but i also heard that neither Doug nor Judy were there...it was "a school Representative" 

anyone know if Doug or Judy were there for sure?

• Content Count:  12,293

so not only was this post started by a MOD but another MOD commented on it and yet it still stands as a seperate thread???

Archived