• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

ChiTribHamilton Brian Hamilton

RT @ralphDrussoAP: Marinatto says Big East members have pledged to stay together & aggressively recruit replacements for Pitt, Syracuse

40 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

This is the worst possible outcome

I don't get it... how can this be worst possible outcome?  Everyone on here seemed to think were headed back to C-USA earlier in the day.  Pitt and Cuse are hardly powerhouses in football.

USF

We played in CUSA with:

TCU

Louisville

Cinci

Houston

ECU

Southern Miss

Memphis

And we'll also have (assuming Rutgers and UConn leave)

WVU

UCF probably

Now I'm sure I'm missing some because I'm doing this quick off the top of my head (being very tired, at that), but I hope you get the idea of my post.

Those are all teams we played with in CUSA that either will be or have potential to be in the new Big East.  Sure, it still may still be called the Big East but that doesn't mean it's not effectively "back to CUSA"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,867

We better still secretly do everything to get into the ACC, SEC, or even the Big 12. Committing to the Big East in my opinion is not the right decision.

the ACC and SEC don't want us... B12 if there house falls apart, those are our only options...

• Content Count:  231

We better still secretly do everything to get into the ACC, SEC, or even the Big 12. Committing to the Big East in my opinion is not the right decision.

the ACC and SEC don't want us... B12 if there house falls apart, those are our only options...

What are you basing the ACC or SEC not wanting us on? Everyone keeps saying that..no one is explaining it.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

RT @ralphDrussoAP: Marinatto says Big East members have pledged to stay together & aggressively recruit replacements for Pitt, Syracuse

I don't get it... how can this be worst possible outcome?  Everyone on here seemed to think were headed back to C-USA earlier in the day.  Pitt and Cuse are hardly powerhouses in football.

USF

We played in CUSA with:

TCU

Louisville

Cinci

Houston

ECU

Southern Miss

Memphis

WVU

UCF probably

Now I'm sure I'm missing some because I'm doing this quick off the top of my head (being very tired, at that), but I hope you get the idea of my post.

Those are all teams we played with in CUSA that either will be or have potential to be in the new Big East.  Sure, it still may still be called the Big East but that doesn't mean it's not effectively "back to CUSA"

Since then, Louisville and TCU have won a BCS game. Cincy has won the more powerful Big East twice and finished a regular season 12-0. The world isn't the same as it was in 2003 when we entered C-USA.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Navy and Air Force would solve immediate needs.  It would get the conference back to 9 teams, and maybe allow Pitt and the Orange to pay a larger exit fee to leave early.  It would give a little more time to evaluate how best to move to 12 teams, or wait and see how the B12 shakes out and if anyone else wants to expand their league to 14 or 16.

This doesn't feel like permanent, long term solutions to me.  But if it buys us five years, that might be enough to push to the top of a big conference wish list.

• Content Count:  1,165

OK now for conversation sake: Pac10 says it's standing pat, which I take to mean Texas decided to stay in the Big12 (i doubt PAC straight up refused Texas). Now, was Oklahoma's bluff called, or are they for real and now planning on leaving?  Texas obviously has no reason to willingly give up anything, right? Or do they cave and try and keep Oklahoma?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

SEPTEMBER 20, 2011

After meeting, Big East committed to new additions

After a meeting of the Big East's athletic directors and presidents in Manhattan on Tuesday night, the league issued a one-paragraph statement, speaking to its desire to find the best replacements for Pittsburgh and Syracuse, who are leaving the Big East to join the ACC in 2014.

"Our membership met this evening and we are committed as a conference to recruit top level BCS caliber institutions with strong athletic and academic histories and traditions," read the statement posted on the Big East's official site. "We have been approached by a number of such institutions and will pursue all of our options to make the Big East Conference stronger than it has ever been in both basketball and football."

Big East commissioner John Marinatto told the Associated Press that his league's remaining schools are committed to staying in the Big East, and there isn't a pressing timetable to find replacements for Pitt and Syracuse because contractually, they're bound to the Big East for this football season and two more.

The statement comes as another wave of news came Tuesday concerning potential conference expansion across college football. The Pac-12, after courting four top programs from the Big 12, announced it was staying put at 12 teams; that decision could help limit the expansion of other major conferences across the country.

And if this is a sign that the Big East can carry forward in something close to its current incarnation, its fans have a less frightening question to ponder: What schools are the best match as the league looks to expand? Are they military schools such as Navy or Air Force, or top non-BCS options such as Central Florida?

Posted by Greg Auman at 11:25:17 pm on September 20, 2011 in Football|

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/after-meeting-big-east-committed-new-additions

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

USF

We played in CUSA with:

TCU

Louisville

Cinci

Houston

ECU

Southern Miss

Memphis

WVU

UCF probably

I have no idea what your point is really... we left C-USA w/ Cincy and Lousiville, so surely you'd expect them to still be in our conference?  That hardly seems like a step back.  We will have a conference that has an AQ that includes a number of top-tier programs (WVU, TCU, us) and a very solid basketball lineup.  Everyone just seems to be getting all up tight cause UCF "may" be in our conference.  I don't really care either way, but I hardly think that is a done deal.  And I am pretty certain we have the connections within the BE that if we don't want UCF then it will be someone else.

• Content Count:  1,867

What are you basing the ACC or SEC not wanting us on? Everyone keeps saying that..no one is explaining it.

I'm only saying it because they had the chance to do it now, but haven't... in my opinion, just mine, means we were not considered...

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think if they wanted us, USF would not be mulling it over at this point. We'd be announcing our defection...specifically with the SEC.

How that conversation would go...

..."Judy, this is Mike Slive of the SEC... we'd like we'd like to extend an inv..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"but, we're not splitting the money evenly"

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"and..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"b..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

Archived