• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

NJ.com said that there was no statement that the 7 schools were committed to the conference post meeting and that TCU seemed to be wavering about entry. Has anyone seen that TCU may pull out?

I know MW was trying to get them to say (obviously) and I believe I read they were considering it, but that is ancient news now (read it this morning).

To be honest, I don't think words mean a whole lot right now.

Keep in mind, this is a tough situation for schools.  On one hand, they want to stick together and save the conference.  However, they also have their own individual interests to protect.  Don't forget, if the BE were to die, these schools become our competition to get into a conference.  It's a pretty delicate situation.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293

I'm sorry, I must have missed an announcement that WVU was rejected by the SEC and ACC.  That is as much rumor as most anything else.

so the fact that WVU applied to the SEC and ACC yet were in Manhattan singing "hakuna ma tata" with the rest of the BE isn't proof that they got turned down?

Obviously conferences have more class to make an "official announcement" about turning someone down.  and even when they do make such announcement...as SEC did with Texas A&M a few weeks ago...its funny how a few dollars change things.

Point is....Jim's thread is still ABOUT conf expansion so why the double standard?

and it takes all of 30 seconds to click on someones name and say hey- your thread in the in the big east board it wasnt direcly reflected to USF athletics

or hey your thread got merged into the expansion thread cause it was about expansion.

that isnt hard.  problem is...i dont think the mods want to put their name behind some of it. 

• Content Count:  1,165

NJ.com said that there was no statement that the 7 schools were committed to the conference post meeting and that TCU seemed to be wavering about entry. Has anyone seen that TCU may pull out?

So you're saying our Commish's statement may not be true that all 7 are on board and committed?  Say it ain't so.

In this case, I believe the Commish when he states that all 7 gave their commitment.  I do, however, question whether that commitment is sincere.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

So you're saying our Commish's statement may not be true that all 7 are on board and committed?  Say it ain't so.

In this case, I believe the Commish when he states that all 7 gave their commitment.  I do, however, question whether that commitment is sincere.

Did anyone do a crossed fingers check?  ;)

• Content Count:  7,516
  • Days Won:  10

By inviting the service academies, the Big East will show their patriotism by sharing their revenue and, therefore, help reduce our country's budget deficit.

Would that make it a write off on the conference's taxes?

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Did anyone do a crossed fingers check?  ;)

They were probably texting on their cells

• Content Count:  270

If Air Force is added, we'll need to change our name to the Big East of the Rockies Conference.  Welcome to the BERC.

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

On a side note, keeping the BigEast together likely means the men's BBall tourney stays in MSG.  Not sure how ESPN will promote it if their money follows the ACC.  I know there were some comments earlier that the ACC was hoping to move theirs to the Garden, but with SJU/SHU/RU/UCONN/NOVA/GTOWN/PC still in the league (and ND too, so far) NYC is where it must stay (don't even know when the contract runs out).  And we can all do without the Syracuse trash coming out of the sewer to ruin everyone's good time.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I know MW was trying to get them to say (obviously) and I believe I read they were considering it, but that is ancient news now (read it this morning).

To be honest, I don't think words mean a whole lot right now.

Keep in mind, this is a tough situation for schools.  On one hand, they want to stick together and save the conference.  However, they also have their own individual interests to protect.  Don't forget, if the BE were to die, these schools become our competition to get into a conference.  It's a pretty delicate situation.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the MW was spreading that story and TCU said something along the lines of "uh...no...we're not going back to the MW".

The thing is, there isn't anywhere else for these schools to go right now.  We've seen the reports that WVU was rejected by every conference in North America and a few in Europe.  You know every school in the BE and B12 was checking with every conference to see if there might be a fit. 

I suspect that Oklahoma knew in advance that the Pac-12 was staying with 12.  That's why the sudden rhetoric to start demanding things while Texas still thought they were headed west.  Now they are pretty much stuck, unless they want to join the Mountain West. 

There still could be a B12 / BE merger, but the urgency isn't really there anymore.  Louisville would possibly be in a position to bolt to the B12, but I really don't know why they would do that unless there was a lot of money in it.  They've seen the chaos the Big 12 is in.  The SEC and ACC have probably gotten themselves to 14 teams, I'm not sure they want to be the bloated conference with 16.  They may find that 14 isn't all that much fun.  The Big 10 didn't look interested in adding anyone when there were plenty of teams to choose from.

So the B12 and BE probably add a couple of teams each to get to 9 or 10, then let things settle.  In a year or two, they then look at the landscape and try and get to 12.  The craziness won't start again unless Texas and Tech go to the ACC.

• Content Count:  12,293

We've seen the reports that WVU was rejected by every conference in North America and a few in Europe. 

I thought those were just "rumors"

Archived