• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread - Part Deaux

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Which 7 were at the meeting, tcu?

Yes TCU was there

yes someone from TCU was there but i also heard that neither Doug nor Judy were there...it was "a school Representative" 

anyone know if Doug or Judy were there for sure?

...and here I was just about to call it a night.  :popcorn

If Doug and Judy were not there... WHERE WERE THEY?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It seems worthy enough news to keep separate for a few hours so someone logging into the board can see it quickly rather than trying to wade through some of the other threads to figure out what is happening.

• Content Count:  231
  • Days Won:  0

We better still secretly do everything to get into the ACC, SEC, or even the Big 12. Committing to the Big East in my opinion is not the right decision.

the ACC and SEC don't want us... B12 if there house falls apart, those are our only options...

What are you basing the ACC or SEC not wanting us on? Everyone keeps saying that..no one is explaining it.

I think if they wanted us, USF would not be mulling it over at this point. We'd be announcing our defection...specifically with the SEC.

How that conversation would go...

..."Judy, this is Mike Slive of the SEC... we'd like we'd like to extend an inv..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"but, we're not splitting the money evenly"

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"and..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

"b..."

"WE'LL TAKE IT"

I agree with the second half of that statement. Just because we haven't been sent an inv (if that is even the case) doesn't mean it won't happen in the near future for reasons we cannot possibly fathom at this point in time. I think there are so many things happening right now, it's hard to rule anything out.

• Content Count:  1,867

Oklahoma and Texas divorce is still going to happen soon...  and musical chairs will start again!

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Which 7 were at the meeting, tcu?

Yes TCU was there

yes someone from TCU was there but i also heard that neither Doug nor Judy were there...it was "a school Representative" 

anyone know if Doug or Judy were there for sure?

...and here I was just about to call it a night.  :popcorn

If Doug and Judy were not there... WHERE WERE THEY?

Pretty sure Judy was there... earlier in the night she was expected to be the designated speaker.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/rickbozich/2011/09/20/south-florida-president-to-speak-at-big-east-gathering-tonight/

• Content Count:  879

I don't consider this the worst possible outcome.  Firstly, we're not losing our AQ status with TCU in the fold and how they finished last year.  Remember that we also are in a position to make a statement ourselves this year as is West Virginia.

Pitt and Syracuse are gone.  Syracuse has been a shell of its former self for a decade or so.  Pitt has constantly performed below expectations.  They are losses on the basketball end of things, but I think ECU has had more impressive wins recently and may have a better overall upside.

Navy would be a great add.  They have done well over the past several years and bring a truly national audience.

So we go forward in the Big East with the weight of this conference on our shoulders.  

Guys, USF will play a pivotal role in determining whether the BE keeps its AQ status.  We can be great this year.  We can be great next year, especially in a statement game against FSU in Tampa.  

So we're now in the position of having to carry this conference on our backs.  This is our moment, to step forward and become an elite program that will be the core of the Big East.

Other than Mizzou moving, I'm not sure if we'll see much more motion.  We might see SMU or BYU added to the Big XII - maybe even Boise St.  The PAC-12 is done.  The ACC is done.  The SEC will add Mizzou and A&M maybe, though I think Baylor and crew will drop any threat of legal action if the Big XII stays together with Texas.  

Louisville has been highly ranked in the fairly recent past.  Cincy has been.  WVU has been.  We have been.  TCU has been.  

We are #17 in the Coaches.  WVU can make a statement against LSU.  We can make a statement in conference play and against the Canes.  

So the goal of the remaining Big East teams is this:  throttle Syracuse and Pitt when you play them.  And for West Virginia and USF, go undefeated heading into December 1 so that the eyes of the college football world focus in on Tampa for an exciting, sold out game at RayJay that could see us send a team to the BCS title game.  Then nobody will be talking about our AQ status for a long time.

This.  Syracuse hasn't been relevant in forever (sans BBall), Pitt may have been ranked at some point last year or the year before, but that didn't last.  I don't think we lose much.  I don't think we should sit at the current number of schools though.  I think we need to go to 10 at least, if we could get quality teams.

Why isn't the Pac-12 announcement they are staying at 12 teams not one of ESPN's Top 10 plays?  :)

Those guys have lost their creativity.

• Content Count:  12,293

It seems worthy enough news to keep separate for a few hours so someone logging into the board can see it quickly rather than trying to wade through some of the other threads to figure out what is happening.

yet the announcement that WVU was rejected by SEC and ACC was quickly shuffled under the rug.

I'm not saying you and jim are at fault.  I just wish MODS would take accountability and responsibility.  when they move a post they should send a PM to the thread starter and tell them why they moved it and where they moved it.

I know you guys aren't paid but some people get on power trips.

The more I think about it, I like Navy and Air Force for football only.  Then we add one other school.

That gets us to nice, round numbers of 10 for football and 16 for basketball.

(Assuming we don't ditch the basketball schools, or they don't ditch us)

• Content Count:  1,165

ChiTribHamilton Brian Hamilton

RT @ralphDrussoAP: Marinatto says Big East members have pledged to stay together & aggressively recruit replacements for Pitt, Syracuse

40 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

This is the worst possible outcome

I don't get it... how can this be worst possible outcome?  Everyone on here seemed to think were headed back to C-USA earlier in the day.  Pitt and Cuse are hardly powerhouses in football.

USF

We played in CUSA with:

TCU

Louisville

Cinci

Houston

ECU

Southern Miss

Memphis

And we'll also have (assuming Rutgers and UConn leave)

WVU

UCF probably

Now I'm sure I'm missing some because I'm doing this quick off the top of my head (being very tired, at that), but I hope you get the idea of my post.

Those are all teams we played with in CUSA that either will be or have potential to be in the new Big East.  Sure, it still may still be called the Big East but that doesn't mean it's not effectively "back to CUSA"

Since then, Louisville and TCU have won a BCS game. Cincy has won the more powerful Big East twice and finished a regular season 12-0. The world isn't the same as it was in 2003 when we entered C-USA.

Of course the world isn't the same. The Big East has also weakened a lot since we first joined.  If memory serves me right, USF, WVU, UL, UCONN, Rutgers, Cinci and PITT were all ranked in the first few years of the Big East. That's 7 of 8 teams.  Over the last few years? Significantly less, and at least one of those is leaving.

We are getting TCU in return and that they are significantly better than they were in CUSA (on an aside, I completely saw that coming. They reminded me of USF even back in CUSA).

I guess my point is that the Big East now (before this years reallignment) is already significantly weaker than the Big East we joined and has the possibility of being pretty close to the caliber that CUSA was when we were in it.

Honestly though the only real important thing is that we keep AQ.  Sure, a weak BCS conference might be had to get a NC game, but at this point in USF's history I'll gladly trade that for an easier time getting a regular BCS game.

*Warning - while you were typing 21 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post*

Jesus...

Archived