• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone hear about any stadium updates today?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

4 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

All I ask is, where are the giant safety umbrellas?  I think the designers may be sadists.

Solar-Powered Magnifying Glass - TV Tropes

You will melt under the hot Tampa sun and you will like it! You got that?!

• Haha 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,448
  • Days Won:  19

7 minutes ago, USFBulls12 said:

You will melt under the hot Tampa sun and you will like it! You got that?!

I'm now and old, fat, heat-intolerant Bulls fan.  I may limit my in-person viewing to road trips north of the southern border of North Carolina.  Oh, and New Orleans or Vegas....

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,477
  • Days Won:  0

I hope it looks good on tv

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

31 minutes ago, BULLSHTR said:

I hope it doesn’t have shaking cameras when I’m watching on TV.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,405
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, BULLSHTR said:

I hope we win (championships) in it.

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  222

23 hours ago, bull2bull said:

Do we know any fans or alumni that were invited to be part of the design review? When Populous said "OK, when you walk up to your stadium, it is going to look just like FAU, FIU and UCF's stadiums." And you reply, Oh is that because we have a 180 million budget. They reply, "Nope, your green and gold erector set will be over 300 million."  During the Boca Bowl, did our higher-ups get limoed straight to the suite elevator and not have a chance to witness how bad these minimalist steel support stadiums look. It is the same design that every high school football stadium in the state of Florida has had for the last 30 years. Might as well just make it 25k seating and do it right from the start. 

Don’t know if you would call it a “design review” session, but my spouse and I sat in on one of the listening sessions. MK, contractor rep, project manager, and architect were in on the session. I looked at the architect and asked him to create a place of significance, a stadium with a sense of place.  Those are fancy words that snobbish urbanists and architects like to use - being an urban planner, I can at least understand their lingo. My point was that I wanted something special, not just functional. 

Based on what I’ve seen so far, I’m not convinced that a unique, significant place was designed. Maybe the Heptagonal (7-sided) student section was intended to be unique - who knows?  If nothing else, it will blow the average UCF fan’s mind, as more than a few of them probably had to repeat kindergarten and therefore only learned basic shapes (lol).

I agree with you 100% about FAU’s stadium (my wife called it an oversized high-school stadium), and the minimalist steel support stadium is not a good look. I’m used to Ray Jay and the old Tampa Stadium - give me concrete any day.

I will say that as someone who sits in wheelchair access, there looks to be some nice WCA seats. John Lewis- need you to reserve two of those! At the end of the day, it won’t be perfect, but I’ll still be glad and proud of our new OCS.

Different subject - at the same session, I explained to MK (and later sent him a picture) of how UF sells metal plaques to boosters that are then placed on top of the safety bollards between the road and The Swamp up in Gainesville.  Got to monetize everything to help pay for this stadium…

Go Bulls

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,691
  • Days Won:  108

Just saw a commercial on MBB game that triggered the perfect sponsor. Toro Stadium.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,977
  • Days Won:  12

On 3/15/2024 at 10:51 PM, St.PeteSlim89 said:

If nothing else, it will blow the average UCF fan’s mind, as more than a few of them probably had to repeat kindergarten

Lol

It's true I don't think many of them could comprehend a novel shape. I think that might be a competitive advantage against most of our opponents. They will be so distracted by the enigma of the heptagonal presence that they'll lose focus and struggle to get snaps off on time or bring adequate pressure to the qb. 

On a more serious note, the things that matter are: will the players and recruits like it, will the students like it, and will the game day experience be awesome (comfort/views/food and amenities)? Those are the most important things. Probably fourth on that list is, can it accommodate non football revenue generating activities for USF. After that, way way down the list, is do the architectural drawings look cool. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,252
  • Days Won:  255

People liked the other crappy stadiums because they had no better options, this is an unforced error and most people aren’t going to like it because it’s measurably worse in every way to the reasonable alternative (with the added bonus of being far too expensive as it was built (for not explainable reason) at the absolute worst time to be building and financing something).

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,477

Just drove past McLane Stadium in Waco twice in 2 days. That's what we should be getting for how much we're paying. What Populous is giving us is not in the same class, but we're paying as much as they did (adjusted for inflation). I wouldn't mind any stadium on-campus. It just feels like we're really getting ripped off and we should be getting a much better designed stadium for that much.