• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Revisiting the Charlie Strong Hire

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

Orlando Bull was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

Its hard to compare.

Holtz - got left with a talented roster, but some players and certainly a ton of us fans were not happy with how he came to be our coach. I supported him and hoped for the best, but in the end, when things started going south, it was too easy to say that we should have never fired CJL.

Tags was a good fit here, he's a bad coach in my opinion, but he knew that he could recruit better talent than our opponents in most cases. He was very close to shooting himself in the foot by holding on to his own offense for too long and not letting Q do his thing. His teams out-talented their way to most wins, not some masterful coaching by him.

CCS - I was a fan of this hire. I think Strong is a decent coach and was at one time a tremendous recruiter. I think the Texas job was bad for him because his recruiting ties were to Florida. At UL, they are fine with recruiting FL, but in Texas, there is plenty of local talent, why come to FL to get players. I think he failed there because he couldn't quite get his footing. When he came here, I hoped that he would work hard and use his connections to get back in the game, but I think he looked at this job as "beneath" him and not worthy of working hard for. I would bet that he negotiated against himself saying "i am not going to waste my energy recruiting that guy, he's going somewhere better". His heart wasn't in this job, and that was clear pretty much from day 1. I think as a coach, he had the chops to succeed here, but you can't force someone to actually apply themselves.

CJS - I don't know. CCS didn't leave him much, but he never really fit in here. Ultimately, we need someone maybe a little rough around the edges and he's too "clean" for our program. We're surrounded by talent, but would Q or JPP, or Mack, or DJ, or anyone else really... have been wowed by Jeff Scott? Then, he couldn't settle on any real scheme, didn't seem like a teaching style coach. Maybe good for donors, but showed no progress on the field. Definitely our worst hire. The others probably all could have been successful under certain circumstances or attitudes, I think that no amount of change around this guy would have made him successful here.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,568
  • Days Won:  28

25 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

Its hard to compare.

Holtz - got left with a talented roster, but some players and certainly a ton of us fans were not happy with how he came to be our coach. I supported him and hoped for the best, but in the end, when things started going south, it was too easy to say that we should have never fired CJL.

Tags was a good fit here, he's a bad coach in my opinion, but he knew that he could recruit better talent than our opponents in most cases. He was very close to shooting himself in the foot by holding on to his own offense for too long and not letting Q do his thing. His teams out-talented their way to most wins, not some masterful coaching by him.

CCS - I was a fan of this hire. I think Strong is a decent coach and was at one time a tremendous recruiter. I think the Texas job was bad for him because his recruiting ties were to Florida. At UL, they are fine with recruiting FL, but in Texas, there is plenty of local talent, why come to FL to get players. I think he failed there because he couldn't quite get his footing. When he came here, I hoped that he would work hard and use his connections to get back in the game, but I think he looked at this job as "beneath" him and not worthy of working hard for. I would bet that he negotiated against himself saying "i am not going to waste my energy recruiting that guy, he's going somewhere better". His heart wasn't in this job, and that was clear pretty much from day 1. I think as a coach, he had the chops to succeed here, but you can't force someone to actually apply themselves.

CJS - I don't know. CCS didn't leave him much, but he never really fit in here. Ultimately, we need someone maybe a little rough around the edges and he's too "clean" for our program. We're surrounded by talent, but would Q or JPP, or Mack, or DJ, or anyone else really... have been wowed by Jeff Scott? Then, he couldn't settle on any real scheme, didn't seem like a teaching style coach. Maybe good for donors, but showed no progress on the field. Definitely our worst hire. The others probably all could have been successful under certain circumstances or attitudes, I think that no amount of change around this guy would have made him successful here.

This is HANDS down the best analysis of all non-Levitt coaches. As for Levitt, as much as I liked him, he started to become an underachiever in his last few years. We always seem to have had a slump once November hits. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Living 30 miles north of Austin TX since 2007, I was pretty sure CCS was going to struggle.  I did have hope CCS would recruit better in FL than he did in TX.  Without Quinton Flowers that first year the CCS would be a bad as the last guy.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

57 minutes ago, BullDoug said:

Living 30 miles north of Austin TX since 2007,

Nice to hear from you again, it's been some time. 😎

• Like 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Yep @BullDoug is now a manual add to the OGs

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

Just for sake of relative comparison, here's a chart of coaches performance per year along with their strength of schedule. Performance is based on Jeff Sagarin's college football algorithm-based ratings. Strength of schedule sourced from TeamRankings.com.

image.thumb.png.6290e4dbec88b35c8b03999e79afdfcf.png

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

Its hard to compare.

It's been stated elsewhere that he thought he was going to get P5 calls after a 10-win campaign in 2017 and when they didn't come, he "became disheartened" with the job and didn't really wanna be here. I'd argue in that instance, he never actually wanted to be here. Allegedly his family still thinks he got a raw deal here even though he took a program with a 40+PPG offense and turned it into a raging dumpster fire

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Only plus in all this is Taggart atleast shows we can win here with talent and semi decent coaching. 

Unfortunately we had horrible coaches back to back..can't afford 3. 

CAG atleast has shown he can recruit now we find out soon about his coaching. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

This is HANDS down the best analysis of all non-Leavitt coaches. As for Leavitt, as much as I liked him, he started to become an underachiever in his last few years. We always seem to have had a slump once November hits. 

Hardly ..... if there's one thing CJL wasn't, it was an underachiever. He was just the opposite and as dumb as it sounds to some, a case can be made that his overachieving was a double edge sword.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,784
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

overachieving was a double edge sword.

Now, now! :05-nono: let us tread lightly.