• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Revisiting the Charlie Strong Hire

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,521
  • Days Won:  3

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

Peatearpan was awarded the badge 'Conversation Starter' and 15 points.

I got curious, since it seemed like a lifetime ago, about how the other “potential”coaching candidates.

We all know how Charlie Strong did and where he is at. Let’s check out the other names that never came to fruition.

I found a link to a Dailystampede article from Dec 2016.

Lane Kiffin seems like the only truly successful coach, and was listed as our second coach behind CCS. I don’t know if he was interested in our program. I imagine our school wanted to avoid a controversial hire.

Frank Wilson ended up coaching UTSA from 2016-2019 to a losing record overall. Then went on to McNeese State with a similar performance, and finally to LSU as an Assistant HC/RB Coach.

Lawrence Dawsey was WR coach for USF from 2004-2006. He has bounced around as a WR coach and co-oc. Other than that, nothing to notable.

Les Miles, dodged a bullet on this one didn’t we guys?

Larry Scott. His name popped up during the 2016 coaching search. His name popped up again this last coaching search. He finally got a shot as a HC at Howard.

I think USF saw a seemingly safe hire in CCS with the focus on Defense, the buyout money from Texas, the connections to the state of Florida, and the success at a mid-major program like UL. To me, the only real candidate that I would have wanted from this list is Lane Kiffin. Seems like USF was dead set on the guy they got and had a backup plan in Kiffin. Everyone else was just interviewing to interview it seemed.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

5 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

I got curious, since it seemed like a lifetime ago, about how the other “potential”coaching candidates.

We all know how Charlie Strong did and where he is at. Let’s check out the other names that never came to fruition.

Lane Kiffin seems like the only truly successful coach, and was listed as our second coach behind CCS. I don’t know if he was interested in our program. I imagine our school wanted to avoid a controversial hire.

Frank Wilson ended up coaching UTSA from 2016-2019 to a losing record overall. Then went on to McNeese State with a similar performance, and finally to LSU as an Assistant HC/RB Coach.

Lawrence Dawsey was WR coach for USF from 2004-2006. He has bounced around as a WR coach and co-oc. Other than that, nothing to notable.

Larry Scott. His name popped up during the 2016 coaching search. His name popped up again this last coaching search. He finally got a shot as a HC at Howard.

I think USF saw a seemingly safe hire in CCS with the focus on Defense, the buyout money from Texas, the connections to the state of Florida, and the success at a mid-major program like UL. To me, the only real candidate that I would have wanted from this list is Lane Kiffin. Seems like USF was dead set on the guy they got and had a backup plan in Kiffin. Everyone else was just interviewing to interview it seemed.

That's a good reminder.  And I think you're right, USF probably thought Strong was a very safe hire.  There were some that tried to warn us, including from Univ. Texas.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,367
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I feel CJS was our worse hire hands down! 

It isn't even close.  We could have hired a high school coach and got better results.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I feel CJS was our worse hire hands down! 

Yea, agreed. 

1 minute ago, Brad said:

That's a good reminder.  And I think you're right, USF probably thought Strong was a very safe hire.  There were some that tried to warn us, including from Univ. Texas.  

I am guilty of drinking the kool-aid, but I have gotten excited about every coaching hire that we have brought on. It’s hard not to have a feeling of promise/hope after the previous failed regime at that time being canned.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

11 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

I remember thinking it was a good hire, and that they got it turned around in a short amount of time (which was good for recruiting).  At the time, I thought it was a good outcome.  We all know what happened.  Then along came Jeff Scott who made the CCS days look like the good old days.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

I so want to beat WKU if only so that CAG can equal Scott in FBS wins in one game. 

• Haha 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

Scott permeates our being.

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Scott permeates our being.

Lol, how can you tell?

Back to the CCS hire. From what I remember and the quick sentence about it in the article I read, was that the whole process was kind of messy and made our program look foolish.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I so want to beat WKU if only so that CAG can equal Scott in FBS wins in one game. 

That thought hadn't occurred to me, but would be hilarious.