• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So how good/bad was this recruiting class considering the situation?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

11 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

image.thumb.png.f4abbd3015aea6258ff30da82c83a555.png

His bowl wins and record at Houston and Texas speak for themselves. 

Charlie Strong was a splash hire then too

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

The NIL and transfer portal is going to kill college football if they don’t put restrictions on things. The top 25 teams will pretty much poach all the best players from other teams. Schools like usf will continue to lose all their most talented players. It sucks. If our players do well…they will leave. Gone are the days of watching players progress from a freshman to a senior. We are the equivalent of a AAA baseball team. Do well for us then get the call up. 

Edited by Rex Havoc
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,520
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, olafberserker said:

Charlie Strong was a splash hire then too

Texas improved after Strong under Herman.  Texas got worse after Herman left under Sarkisian. I would think that Herman is a solid coach.

image.png.07d41fdf4e964fe742107948a0e79465.png

Strong

image.png.fbfe5e734de9c7f153495a0073921362.png

Herman

image.png.bcd834eb1006f9d77cc2038ce37a6667.png

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

15 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I agree on Mike Kelly for the most part. However, I believe he deserves the chance to see if Golesh works out. It's only his second appointment  for a football, and maybe he was just unlucky when it came to Scott. Many at the time saw Scott as a decent hire.

Also  lets see if Gregory can turn the corner this year, and if not who he hires as a replacement. 

in addition, its undeniable that Kelly has made headway when it comes to the OCS. Let's see what happens on that front.

The one thing that I found hard to take last year though was the across the board contract extensions; it was demoralizing as a fan.

If in two years we are in the same condition as we are now I will be the first to call for Kelly to get fired. just not there yet.

Oh he definitely deserves a chance and I’ve already said I like him better than I liked CJS at any moment in his time here. My issue isn’t with him in the long term and whether or not he can be a good coach (he has signs of life and awareness that hasn’t been present in a long while). It is that we seemed to have missed on all of the chairs in musical chairs, the fans and the team are demoralized and some sort of spark would have done wonders over scrambling to the internet to try to figure out who this is that is supposed to help us just as soon as he figures out how exactly you go about that and finally that if you fail for a very long time, have only made questionable contract decisions and have cratered the biggest programs in your reporting line then you have zero business making a decision that can lead to you extending your reign of terror on athletics for the greater part of a decade and the person that will be responsible for cleaning up the mess that is you should have gotten to start that process immediately.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

Not arguing that Golesh can't succeed. He can! But if FAU is able to get splash hires, we should be able to as well.

Although Herman was maybe my top choice, he's hardly what I consider a splash hire, especially for this area ... To me the only splash hires, hires that would possibly "excite" the whole area were PT and Chuckie.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,345
  • Days Won:  0

31 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

The NIL and transfer portal is going to kill college football if they don’t put restrictions on things. The top 25 teams will pretty much poach all the best players from other teams. Schools like usf will continue to lose all their most talented players. It sucks. If our players do well…they will leave. Gone are the days of watching players progress from a freshman to a senior. We are the equivalent of a AAA baseball team. Do well for us then get the call up. 

It is going to go both ways. Now it will be easier for guys to transfer home who want to be closer to family or want to actually play instead of riding the bench. Also, access to the playoff at USF could potentially be an easier path than many G5 teams.

Player recruitment and development might be even more important now.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,033
  • Days Won:  10

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Although Herman was maybe my top choice, he's hardly what I consider a splash hire, especially for this area ... To me the only splash hires, hires that would possibly "excite" the whole area were PT and Chuckie.

Yes I don't disagree. I was also referring to Lane Kiffin ( even though he was gone a soon as he could). My point was more regarding the FAU example as to whether it was possible for us to get a bigger name head coach with experience.

At the same time I am in no way saying that Golesh can't be successful, and its true that  the "more splashy hire" could fail, while Golesh could succeed.

Time will tell, and we will know in a couple of years whether the FAU approach or our approach was the better way to go.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

35 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

It is going to go both ways. Now it will be easier for guys to transfer home who want to be closer to family or want to actually play instead of riding the bench. Also, access to the playoff at USF could potentially be an easier path than many G5 teams.

Player recruitment and development might be even more important now.

If by going "both ways" you mean top talent will always leave from a poor G5 to the P5 (or rich G5) and unproven/unwanted talent will always flow down from the P5 to G5....

Then yes.  It will definitely go both ways.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Ghostbuster said:

If by going "both ways" you mean top talent will always leave from a poor G5 to the P5 (or rich G5) and unproven/unwanted talent will always flow down from the P5 to G5....

Then yes.  It will definitely go both ways.

100%. A 1-11 team just lost nearly all of its offensive talent to other schools. Sadly, after 15 seasons, our season ticket renewal is in serious doubt. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,520
  • Days Won:  25

4 minutes ago, 00Bull said:

100%. A 1-11 team just lost nearly all of its offensive talent to other schools. Sadly, after 15 seasons, our season ticket renewal is in serious doubt. 

It sure is hard to sell these days. If I don't see major improvement this year I am out as well. It is not a good luck for Golesh to lose the teams three best offensive weapons in Battie, Weaver,  and Horn.