• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So how good/bad was this recruiting class considering the situation?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Not arguing that Golesh can't succeed. He can! But if FAU is able to get splash hires, we should be able to as well.

I do think Herman was a good hire for FAU. He has very few ties to Florida, though. Golesh at least has better history recruiting here. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,030
  • Days Won:  38

20 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

Being a USF fan is pretty depressing 

It does appear so.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

9 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Not arguing that Golesh can't succeed. He can! But if FAU is able to get splash hires, we should be able to as well.

Why is Hermann a "splash hire"?  because you heard of him?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

2 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I do think Herman was a good hire for FAU. He has very few ties to Florida, though. Golesh at least has better history recruiting here. 

I addition to Herman I was also referring to Lane Kiffin. Many other examples where smaller programs are able to get splash hires. However it is not my opinion hat Golesh cannot succeed at USF. He verry well could. I hope he does. Just a bigger risk in my opinion vs having gone with someone with more experience.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I addition to Herman I was also referring to Lane Kiffin. Many other examples where smaller programs are able to get splash hires. However it is not my opinion hat Golesh cannot succeed at USF. He verry well could. I hope he does. Just a bigger risk in my opinion vs having gone with someone with more experience.

I see what you mean. We saw how well hiring an OC worked for us last time. I blame the Kiffin issue on past admin, though. It’s asinine to take Strong over Kiffin. I’m fairly certain we would have gotten Kiffin had we actually tried. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,401
  • Days Won:  25

25 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Herman to FAU seems like the Lane Kiffin to FAU hire to me. A coach with a proven winning record that could succeed that needed to rebrand himself. WE got a completely unproven product that may have some huge upside or maybe training on the job that they are not ready for like the last guy.

image.png.2c181f36021469c704098288cc1a13a1.png

Herman has two NYE6 Wins in the Sugar and Peach bowl. He won at Houston (g5) and Texas (p5). Texas fired him and has regressed under the new coach. Ironically they lost the Alamo bowl this year that Herman won twice there and was not good to keep him.

image.png.26bb52dfbcb5983469ad5ad02a1119a5.png

25 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Why is Hermann a "splash hire"?  because you heard of him?

image.thumb.png.f4abbd3015aea6258ff30da82c83a555.png

His bowl wins and record at Houston and Texas speak for themselves. 

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

40 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I like him more than I liked CJS but we needed a splash hire at this very moment and this could not be any further from a splash hire. As for VPMK how much worse do things need to get and for how long before you can determine that it is almost impossible to have worse results than he has produced and the longer we have followed his path the further we have removed ourselves from success and relevancy? I honestly do not believe I have observed a bigger failure at the top of anything in my entire life, if we had been bought by a private equity group in a leveraged buyout at the start of his reign we would have already surrendered our assets to the banks over a year ago, it is past time to move on as he has shown us exactly who he is and where his vision will lead us. 

I agree on Mike Kelly for the most part. However, I believe he deserves the chance to see if Golesh works out. It's only his second appointment  for a football, and maybe he was just unlucky when it came to Scott. Many at the time saw Scott as a decent hire.

Also  lets see if Gregory can turn the corner this year, and if not who he hires as a replacement. 

in addition, its undeniable that Kelly has made headway when it comes to the OCS. Let's see what happens on that front.

The one thing that I found hard to take last year though was the across the board contract extensions; it was demoralizing as a fan.

If in two years we are in the same condition as we are now I will be the first to call for Kelly to get fired. just not there yet.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I agree on Mike Kelly for the most part. However, I believe he deserves the chance to see if Golesh works out. It's only his second appointment  for a football, and maybe he was just unlucky when it came to Scott. Many at the time saw Scott as a decent hire.

Also  lets see if Gregory can turn the corner this year, and if not who he hires as a replacement. 

in addition, its undeniable that Kelly has made headway when it comes to the OCS. Let's see what happens on that front.

The one thing that I found hard to take last year though was the across the board contract extensions; it was demoralizing as a fan.

If in two years we are in the same condition as we are now I will be the first to call for Kelly to get fired. just not there yet.

It took most people here two years to see the light on Jeff Scott on what kind of coach he really was and three years to come to reality.  I think two years is the leash on Golesh and AD MK. The good news is it is pretty easy for Golesh to show improvement. IF he wins two fbs games in year one he made huge strides. If he gets USF to 0.500 either year and takes USF bowling he did phenomenal. Anything better then bowling is  huge!

Edited by Outlaw

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

C....

May sound harsh but the lack of focus on recruiting Defense dropped it to a C