• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The more I see, the more I like the hire of Coach Golesh

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

20 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

I'd be interested to know more about his recruiting in this area -- I checked his 247 profile and I see 86 commitments for him and only two from Florida: Jonathan Echols (Bradenton '24) and Anthony Williams (Altamonte Springs '21). Looks like most of his guys (half) have come from OH, IL, CA, TN, and IA.

Maybe I'm missing something about the recruiting thing but those were when he was out bird dogging himself for recruits. Now I'm assuming he'll be in more of a closing the deal role so the assistants are where we need to really pay attention to their recruiting history ....?

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

I'd be interested to know more about his recruiting in this area -- I checked his 247 profile and I see 86 commitments for him and only two from Florida: Jonathan Echols (Bradenton '24) and Anthony Williams (Altamonte Springs '21). Looks like most of his guys (half) have come from OH, IL, CA, TN, and IA.

Hard to compare areas the Vols recruit vs. areas we recruit.  As long as he's making those connections locally I feel like he can get our local guys to stay home.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,034
  • Days Won:  20

21 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Maybe I'm missing something about the recruiting thing but those were when he was out bird dogging himself for recruits. Now I'm assuming he'll be in more of a closing the deal role so the assistants are where we need to really pay attention to their recruiting history ....?

I wouldn't expect a head coach to do much recruiting himself unless it was a really big fish. I was more referring to the fact that he said that he has been recruiting the Tampa Bay area for years -- one of my concerns with the hire was his apparent lack of Florida ties. Fact-checking, as it was. If what he says is true, that's advantageous because that means he probably has a good reputation amongst Bay Area HS coaches who will ultimately play a role in steering their players recruiting process. However, his recruiting profile doesn't support that he's recruited in Florida a lot so it looked to me like he was embellishing things.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

I’m not sold at all. His hiring of a mediocre D Coordinator as an inexperienced HC is unsettling.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

7 minutes ago, TheUpperHand said:

However, his recruiting profile doesn't support that he's recruited in Florida a lot so it looked to me like he was embellishing things.

We have entered the age of embellishment.  

1 minute ago, zarnozdabull said:

I’m not sold at all. His hiring of a mediocre D Coordinator as an inexperienced HC is unsettling.

Best DC in the nation is an embellishment perhaps.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

Speaking of embellishment, after reading the tweet saying USF was blown away by his interview, I was expecting more out of his press conference. Not hiring the guy to be a public speaking wiz, but it certainly makes me skeptical of what we’ve been told/sold. 

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Jeff Scott had a dad who was assistant head coach at Clemson when he joined their staff. Then never had any experience working under any coach other than Dabo. Clemson never missed a bowl game while he was there. Scott likely got into the profession due to a little nepotism and never had to deal with real adversity so when he got hit by it here he was totally unprepared.

Golesh is the son of immigrants who had to be a graduate assistant for 5 years before getting a chance to be a position coach. He then coached at 5 different schools and was recruiting coordinator at 3 different schools in 3 different conferences. Golesh certainly has the real world experience to give me more confidence in handling the tough situations than Scott.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, bulloni said:

Jeff Scott had a dad who was assistant head coach at Clemson when he joined their staff. Then never had any experience working under any coach other than Dabo. Clemson never missed a bowl game while he was there. Scott likely got into the profession due to a little nepotism and never had to deal with real adversity so when he got hit by it here he was totally unprepared.

Golesh is the son of immigrants who had to be a graduate assistant for 5 years before getting a chance to be a position coach. He then coached at 5 different schools and was recruiting coordinator at 3 different schools in 3 different conferences. Golesh certainly has the real world experience to give me more confidence in handling the tough situations than Scott.

It’s not very often that you see a blue collar work ethic paired with a high flying, up tempo offensive candidate. That alone has me intrigued 

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

13 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

We have entered the age of embellishment.  

Best DC in the nation is an embellishment perhaps.

I obviously wasn't expecting the actual best DC in the nation but at least someone without an underwhelming reputation from previous stops who can't seem to keep a job...

• Crying 1

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

1 thing I found interesting looking into him. Golesh was a TE coach and recruiting coordinator for Toledo from 09-11 then Matt Campbell took over and didn't retain him on staff.

When Campbell got a new job at Iowa State, he went and grabbed Golesh as TE coach and recruiting coordinator. He had never coached with him, but must have heard glowing reviews from the players if he went out and grabbed him for his next staff.