• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The more I see, the more I like the hire of Coach Golesh

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

2 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

We cannot afford a 3-5 year built with conference realignment. 

We technically may be already too late now at this pace.  Who knows.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

49 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

I was kind of happy that he didn't come off as a public relations wiz.  The last guy was a great PR dude, but it didn't translate into wins, and when things got bad, he looked clueless on the sidelines.  Kind of reminded me of Holtz.  Great public speaker, but when things got bad, he was deer-in-the-headlights.  I'm fine if this guy doesn't have that PR talent--as long as he can coach football and win games.  We'll see.

I agree with this. It’s why he reminds me of a young Leavitt. Not real polished. He’s a coach, he’s a recruiter. By all indications he’s a hard worker that relates to and motivates his players.

Think of every coach since Leavitt….none of them fit these descriptions. They all had some elements of BS associated with them. Other than Charlie Strong. He was just completely lacking in enthusiasm, energy and charisma.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, 00Bull said:

Speaking of embellishment, after reading the tweet saying USF was blown away by his interview, I was expecting more out of his press conference. Not hiring the guy to be a public speaking wiz, but it certainly makes me skeptical of what we’ve been told/sold. 

Think it was mentioned that he came in prepared for the interview, had a plan laid out for going forward (wasn't specified what that was), was conversant in NIL and the portal. Don't think it was because he had a good speech writer.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,033
  • Days Won:  38

9 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Think it was mentioned that he came in prepared for the interview, had a plan laid out for going forward (wasn't specified what that was), was conversant in NIL and the portal. Don't think it was because he had a good speech writer.

Yes we need people with real plans rather than slick politicians.  

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

14 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

I agree with this. It’s why he reminds me of a young Leavitt. Not real polished. He’s a coach, he’s a recruiter. By all indications he’s a hard worker that relates to and motivates his players.

Think of every coach since Leavitt….none of them fit these descriptions. They all had some elements of BS associated with them. Other than Charlie Strong. He was just completely lacking in enthusiasm, energy and charisma.

Yep.  And I like how he basically was about working hard to get better as fast as possible.  I'd rather hear that attitude than promises and BS rah rah about national championships and beating Alabama next year.  Again, we shall see.  I can't possibly imagine it being worse than the last guy especially since the team looked BETTER once he was shown the door.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

Underwhelmed by HC hire but hopeful. The DC hire felt rushed and again was underwhelming. I try to remind myself that we had essentially the worst defense in college football so even an underwhelming DC is probably an improvement. As long as he can get the defense playing with an aggressive attitude, I’ll be pleased. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

25 minutes ago, fbdo79 said:

Underwhelmed by HC hire but hopeful. The DC hire felt rushed and again was underwhelming. I try to remind myself that we had essentially the worst defense in college football so even an underwhelming DC is probably an improvement. As long as he can get the defense playing with an aggressive attitude, I’ll be pleased. 

Let me ask you this, who should we have gotten at DC? It isn't like Orlando went out and put out trash defenses. He was good enough for Herman to keep around for 5 years and produced some solid defenses. Consistently top-50 in scoring defense. With the offense we will be running and the teams that we will be running it against, if he can replicate those performances, that will be enough to win us the conference most years. Tennessee had the 45th scoring defense in the nation and that was good enough to go 10-2 in the SEC and beat Bama. If we can get anywhere near that in the new-look AAC we will be doing just fine. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Another thought is a hard working HC might actually push the DC to be and do his best. 

See it in all forms of work...sometimes people will slack when they aren't being made accountable. 

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Let me ask you this, who should we have gotten at DC? It isn't like Orlando went out and put out trash defenses. He was good enough for Herman to keep around for 5 years and produced some solid defenses. Consistently top-50 in scoring defense. With the offense we will be running and the teams that we will be running it against, if he can replicate those performances, that will be enough to win us the conference most years. Tennessee had the 45th scoring defense in the nation and that was good enough to go 10-2 in the SEC and beat Bama. If we can get anywhere near that in the new-look AAC we will be doing just fine. 

My thought was more along the lines of a defensive assistant that has been in the Saban/Kirby Smart lineage. My concern with Orlando is more from the standpoint that most of his defenses have been 50-75 ranked kind of defenses and that is with programs more talented than us and with more resources/recruiting edge than us. So knowing how bad our defense is is what makes me apprehensive about Orlando. As weak of an argument as it may sound. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

1 minute ago, fbdo79 said:

My thought was more along the lines of a defensive assistant that has been in the Saban/Kirby Smart lineage. My concern with Orlando is more from the standpoint that most of his defenses have been 50-75 ranked kind of defenses and that is with programs more talented than us and with more resources/recruiting edge than us. So knowing how bad our defense is is what makes me apprehensive about Orlando. As weak of an argument as it may sound. 

They haven't been though. Scoring defense is what matters and his defenses have consistently been top 50. Who cares about yardage? Scoring defense is really what concerns me the most at the end of the day.