• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A post mortem discussion of the cjs era

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

Most of these aren’t exactly what I was looking for, people have been nice and not failed, Dabo was a wr receiver coach and ended up doing fine, plenty of people are awe shucks country folk that I didn’t understand and yet even dominated at FSU, people have stayed on for bowl games and it didn’t set them back years, people have came in with the wrong plans or hired the wrong coordinators and yet they have pivoted. There is a chance that something someone saw was real and CJS had an opportunity now that we don’t have to hide behind proving how right we are I’m interested in a discussion about what people saw as the map to success and then what event or series of events unfortunately railroaded those plans into what we now see (and no it’s absolutely not Covid and that’s a horrible answer that flies in the face of every team facing that hardship and plenty of people managing to find success in the face of a new challenge).

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

MK had no experience in hiring a successful head football coach and CJS had no experience in being a successful head football coach.  You combine those 2 and you end with the dumpster fire that we've got.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

8 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

MK had no experience in hiring a successful head football coach and CJS had no experience in being a successful head football coach.  You combine those 2 and you end with the dumpster fire that we've got.

Dungy needs to get more involved and recommend CJL

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,022
  • Days Won:  38

2 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

Dungy needs to get more involved and recommend CJL

That would be a power move.  Dungy can bless people and give them absolution.  

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

In hindsight signs that he wasn't the guy:

1.) Indecisive/over-thinking. Football is all about instincts and reacting without thinking. If the head coach can't do this he certainly can't teach the players how to

• Took him 3 games into year 2 to find a QB, then goes and replaces him immediately after spring practice. If he doesn't trust his own instincts to make that decision there had to be a lot of wishy washy-ness in other decisions.
  • Constantly taking time outs before big plays. Felt like every game they couldn't get a playcall made in time and had to burn a timeout that could have been used in crunch time. If you don't know the right play within 30 seconds you're not trusting your instincts. 

2.) Too timid. You got to have some aggression in this game. You have to have a different gear than nice and conservative. Toughness and aggression from the coach can cause stress in practice. Practicing with a stressful atmosphere makes you better in close late games.

• Punting in plus territory. Happened a few times, one specifically I remember is SMU last year. Down 10-0 in the 1st quarter, 4th and 5 from their 34 and we punt. Go for it or kick a field goal and i'm fine, just anything besides punt.
  • Always finding a way to **** up close games. There has been 11 games in Jeff Scott's tenure where it was a 1 score game at some point in the 4th quarter. We have lost every single one. 0-11

The moment where I went from optimistic we are turning things around to doing mental gymnastics trying to justify hopes that Jeff Scott is still the guy? Tulsa in 2021. 4th quarter starts and we are up 31-20 with Tulsa starting at their own 1 yard line.

If being up two scores at home vs ******* Tulsa (with them needing to drive 99 yards just to pull it into a 1 score game) is too big of a moment to just put the foot on the gas and put them away you'll never be able to.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

I concur in saluting @puc86about being right regarding CJS since the start. 

Not gonna lie, CJS just struck me as Skip Holtz 2.0 since the start. 

Out next coach needs to be an *******, CJL-like. Or at least some kind of fire in his belly. Even Taggart had a “we will run up the score on anyone, idgaf” mantra that seemed to resonate with recruits, and eventually the team gained that kind of personality with great success.

Please no more “family friendly” type coach.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

28 minutes ago, bulloni said:

In hindsight signs that he wasn't the guy:

1.) Indecisive/over-thinking. Football is all about instincts and reacting without thinking. If the head coach can't do this he certainly can't teach the players how to

• Took him 3 games into year 2 to find a QB, then goes and replaces him immediately after spring practice. If he doesn't trust his own instincts to make that decision there had to be a lot of wishy washy-ness in other decisions.
  • Constantly taking time outs before big plays. Felt like every game they couldn't get a playcall made in time and had to burn a timeout that could have been used in crunch time. If you don't know the right play within 30 seconds you're not trusting your instincts. 

2.) Too timid. You got to have some aggression in this game. You have to have a different gear than nice and conservative. Toughness and aggression from the coach can cause stress in practice. Practicing with a stressful atmosphere makes you better in close late games.

• Punting in plus territory. Happened a few times, one specifically I remember is SMU last year. Down 10-0 in the 1st quarter, 4th and 5 from their 34 and we punt. Go for it or kick a field goal and i'm fine, just anything besides punt.
  • Always finding a way to **** up close games. There has been 11 games in Jeff Scott's tenure where it was a 1 score game at some point in the 4th quarter. We have lost every single one. 0-11

The moment where I went from optimistic we are turning things around to doing mental gymnastics trying to justify hopes that Jeff Scott is still the guy? Tulsa in 2021. 4th quarter starts and we are up 31-20 with Tulsa starting at their own 1 yard line.

If being up two scores at home vs ******* Tulsa (with them needing to drive 99 yards just to pull it into a 1 score game) is too big of a moment to just put the foot on the gas and put them away you'll never be able to.

I agree with all of this. Always seemed to panic in close games.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

Remember the cade fortin decision lol

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Give me Art Briles. The program has been too clean for too long - and our record resonates that fact. Let's scare the #MeToo movement while also placing the fear of God in UCF. Losing sucks.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Give me Art Briles. The program has been too clean for too long - and our record resonates that fact. Let's scare the #MeToo movement while also placing the fear of God in UCF. Losing sucks.

I'd go with that my biggest concern is his age at 66. Maybe he is still really passionate about the game. 

Tired of the Andy Griffith clean as a whistle coaches...give me someone with a big ego that's knows how to coach and is brash.

This is college football not men's choir practice. 

Even Liberty took a chance and has nailed it with Hugh Freeze. 

• Like 1