• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A post mortem discussion of the cjs era

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

If you still think there is a chance of success with more time this is not the discussion for you, the premise is he has failed and it is over ( I envy your outlook and still hope you are right but don’t want to polarize the discussion). I feel we have not been able to have an honest discussion about what has went wrong because everyone had to be too intrenched in the bigger picture of if they are overall right on whether we could or would be successful with CJS. CJS is not my kind of person so he never resonated with me like he did with many so I had a biased take on him from the beginning. 

I did not care for his onboarding approach, his hiring approach, most anything he said about philosophy and in the first game I felt we looked far worse than at any moment of the ccs era. Since my initial biases kept confirming themselves by my estimation, I continued to never give him a shot and to see negative in everything that occurred. This only caused mostly negative discussions of I’m right and you are wrong and since the record continued to confirm my take there really was no reason to attempt to look at anything anyone else was seeing as it never translated into anything so I felt just and vindicated. 

So while I do believe when things are bad and you are improving things those things do present themselves in tangible ways sooner than later, I also believe somethings are pure dumb luck and that some issues that present themselves later negatively impact positive things that could have actually been happening but then were unfortunately derailed. So my question is if you have now come to the conclusion that things aren’t going to work out, what do you think went wrong and when because it’s probably unlikely that the issue actually presented itself at the very beginning and I just got “lucky” based on my personal biases.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Dude should just resign. Not 1 punt to a team who was had a 15 +/- pt per game average and had 70 hung on them.... 

Just hang it up CJS.... We should get ahead in looking for HCs.... 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

In the interview, he probably showed MK the giant Clemson Handbook and said I'll take that to USF and recreate it.  The problem is there weren't any chapters or an FAQ in said handbook on how to make it work at a G5 school in a major metro area with little history and competing pro franchises, with minimal donor and fan support and poor facilities.  Once he realized, he couldn't find the answer in the handbook, he was done.  End of story.

And then there's the extension...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Days Won:  12

I gotta give it to you puc... you were right.

CJS summary:

Pros

Clearly knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the game

Great face to the program. 

Clean program, no violations or whiffs of shadiness

Maybe didn't kill it in recruiting but I have a hard time saying the cupboard is bare.

Offense went from horrific under CCS to bowl worth in 2022.

Cons

Overly focused on offense, never got the vibe that he understood the urgency to improve a last place defense

No "fire in the belly", rarely saw him get mad, passionate, or fired up about the game or winning

Never got time management down

Overly conservative play calling even up until Tulane

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Never felt Scott had the swagger you need to be a good head coach. didn't show a lot of confidence in his players or decision making.

seems to tighten up when the game was on the line.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,855
  • Days Won:  67

He had a strike against him out of the gate due to not immediately jumping into the job and instead wasting 2 weeks prepping Clemson to get destroyed in the championship game instead of assembling a staff and start ing recruiting.  His other strike was that he was never a coordinator that called plays so was not qualified IMO.  The other strikes I had against him were not really founded but he was the son of a subpar coach and I believed he part of the good old boys club, which is not completely fair.  The other strikes were he is a southern boy that came across as slow and uninspired ( this is completely unfair but like you had said, he never resonated with me).  I never liked him and thought it was a bad selection out of the gate.  So if you asked me where it went wrong, I would say when he was offered the job.   It is easy to pile on now and it is a gamble no matter who you pick and for the record I thought CSH and CCS were great hires out of the gate so I probably don’t know my head from my ass anymore than anyone else. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

So my question is if you have now come to the conclusion that things aren’t going to work out, what do you think went wrong and when because it’s probably unlikely that the issue actually presented itself at the very beginning and I just got “lucky” based on my personal biases.

Ignoring institutional problems which I fully believe would handicap any hire...I still think you *can* make the argument it was just wrong from the beginning.  

We went with a first time head coach that had to deal with COVID, NIL, conference realignment, NCAA violation enforcement, and of course insane injuries this year.  (What else did I forget?)

A better, more experienced coach could have probably performed better while going through all that adversity...but what can you expect from a first timer?  (Obviously more than the 1 FBS win, but a newbie was probably going to have a learning curve/ aka more losses *anyways*)

To go from a developing dynasty in Clemson with great facilities, recruits, fan support, etc to a reeling program like USF would be tough for anyone.  Scott just apparently wasn't the man for the job.  And again...I can't blame him too too much because it's tough, but *that's the job*. 

Put it this way...if you need to hire someone who is expected to work overtime and be on call 24/7, both the employer and employee have to be aware it's a tough job.  If the employee seems burnt out by week 2...you don't give them an extension and hope they can adjust.  You find a better fit, someone who can survive in that environment. 

There's more than 1 option out there and it's perfectly fine to move on when it's not working.

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,748
  • Days Won:  3

Can we get in trouble for conducting a post-mortem on the CJS era when, technically, the era has not met the minimum qualification: necrosis? My guess is that the time of death would fall closer to November 26th, 2022.

sick monty python GIF

Edited by WoolyBully
  • Haha 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

He was hired for a job he really wasn't qualified for. That falls on Kelly. 

It was a stretch being a HC at a team that was running well let alone a rebuild.  

Why I have little confidence we make a good hire when Scott is fired.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

9 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

He was hired for a job he really wasn't qualified for. That falls on Kelly. 

It was a stretch being a HC at a team that was running well let alone a rebuild.  

Why I have little confidence we make a good hire when Scott is fired.  

It is such an easy fix if we have the AD working & thinking logically. We have the architect of USF waiting for that phone call. USF had better make things right imo