• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A post mortem discussion of the cjs era

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

If he did bad, he would be fired, but if he did well, he move on to another school and paid more money. It’s a carousel, and USF is the bathroom next to the carousel get out to take a leak  and then come back on or go home. Money has ruined college football.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,023
  • Days Won:  38

5 minutes ago, slick1ru2 said:

If he did bad, he would be fired, but if he did well, he move on to another school and paid more money. It’s a carousel, and USF is the bathroom next to the carousel get out to take a leak  and then come back on or go home. Money has ruined college football.

Facts.  That being said there are people out there that are more loyal and stay a bit longer. 

Edited by Rocky Style

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

2 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Facts.  That being said there are people out there that are more loyal and stay a bit longer. 

I was hoping it would be the coach that was walking around saying, “who’s got it better than us? Nobody!”

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,023
  • Days Won:  38

Just now, slick1ru2 said:

I was hoping it would be the coach that was walking around saying, “who’s got it better than us? Nobody!”

Hah - Basically on par with modern day politics.  

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

21 hours ago, puc86 said:

Most of these aren’t exactly what I was looking for, people have been nice and not failed, Dabo was a wr receiver coach and ended up doing fine, plenty of people are awe shucks country folk that I didn’t understand and yet even dominated at FSU, people have stayed on for bowl games and it didn’t set them back years, people have came in with the wrong plans or hired the wrong coordinators and yet they have pivoted. There is a chance that something someone saw was real and CJS had an opportunity now that we don’t have to hide behind proving how right we are I’m interested in a discussion about what people saw as the map to success and then what event or series of events unfortunately railroaded those plans into what we now see (and no it’s absolutely not Covid and that’s a horrible answer that flies in the face of every team facing that hardship and plenty of people managing to find success in the face of a new challenge).

El Toro pretty much summed it up, the guy simply was not ready and to not fully immerse himself into the job out of the gate was a red flag that he had no idea what he was getting himself into.  He wanted to simply talk about things and then let his coordinators do things ( because he was not experienced enough to change their strategy once things began to collapse) and he chose the wrong people for his laissez faire approach.  His dad was advising him and provided him bad advice because he was historically a subpar coach himself.  He was timid and became more so as he figured out he was in over his head. You act as if there could have been a series of events where he would have had success and my take is that was highly unlikely.   He simply was not the guy.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

19 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

El Toro pretty much summed it up, the guy simply was not ready and to not fully immerse himself into the job out of the gate was a red flag that he had no idea what he was getting himself into.  He wanted to simply talk about things and then let his coordinators do things ( because he was not experienced enough to change their strategy once things began to collapse) and he chose the wrong people for his laissez faire approach.  His dad was advising him and provided him bad advice because he was historically a subpar coach himself.  He was timid and became more so as he figured out he was in over his head. You act as if there could have been a series of events where he would have had success and my take is that was highly unlikely.   He simply was not the guy.

i mean this has always been my position and it was highlighted even recently when his measurable to the continuous improvement wheel wasn't winning but how much he was copying what he knew from Clemson, which at this point was insane. However I do believe that people could have actually seen something where we were close to being able to turn the corner and then for whatever reason weren't able to capitalize especially since I self admit that my initial beliefs were biased and superficial even if they eventually proved right.  

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

25 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

The first time he said, "We're doing all we know to do..." was pretty much the end. VPMK should have pulled the plug then.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

13 minutes ago, puc86 said:

i mean this has always been my position and it was highlighted even recently when his measurable to the continuous improvement wheel wasn't winning but how much he was copying what he knew from Clemson, which at this point was insane. However I do believe that people could have actually seen something where we were close to being able to turn the corner and then for whatever reason weren't able to capitalize especially since I self admit that my initial beliefs were biased and superficial even if they eventually proved right.  

Mine were biased as well, I guess I never felt like we were close, maybe for 1/2 of the Florida or Cincy game, no part of year 1 or 2 though.  It was evident we were never going to out score anyone with our pitiful defense.  I don’t wish him ill will or well either, I wish we never would have hired him but this painful experiment is over and for that I am thankful. 

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

The Adam gase of college football. Complete disaster of a hire who did nothing but put the final nails in the coffin of a failing program. Threw 3 years away with someone who should have been fired midway through his first season.

Will be remembered as nothing but a complete abject failure who's contribution to the university was nothing better than pure theft. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We suck at hiring. 

Once I found out Scott didn't actually call plays at Clemson I was dubious. But I liked the guy.  A coordinator who doesn't call plays is just a position coach. Big jump from position coach to HC. 

And in college recruiting is everything and his recruiting was in the bottom half of this league. That with awful DC hires means we win one conference game in 3 seasons. 

I have no idea who we should hire next, but I am 100% sure who should NOT be in charge of that decision.