• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Of OCS Interest

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  818
  • Days Won:  2

I bring a flushable portapottie and a small enclosed shower tent for it. People offer me beers and food to use it. Not a bad trade... #onlynumber1 #nonumber2allowed

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Important question:  How far away is this from the Publix?

4 hours ago, John Lewis said:

The Publix on campus would be a 5-10 walk from the stadium.

Remember in the days of the old Tampa Bay mall? They tried everything to keep people from parking in their lots.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,634
  • Days Won:  6

4 hours ago, John Lewis said:

The Publix on campus would be a 5-10 walk from the stadium.

Brilliant.  Order sandwiches in advance for pick up and buy cold beer on way to tailgate.  No ice needed!

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

8 hours ago, BDYZR said:

I don't think Chik-Filet, Panera Bread, Burger Fi, Jamba Juice, Moe's, Subway, etc. are operated by Aramark. Of course I could be wrong.

And you would be wrong... Aramark operates all of the food service (restaurants and catering) at USF -- https://www.usf.edu/magazine/2019-summer/dinner-is-served.aspx

"With its 30-plus dining halls and retail outlets, USF Dining is a major campus employer, with 1,300 associates. More than half are students. "

Edited by Jim Johnson
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

7 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But that area really needs to change. It is disgusting with its urban blight. USF could be a catalyst in that change and who knows may even get state/federal assistance in starting a small renaissance for the area. Certainly, it does not hurt to actually try before moving on to another strategy. 

I worked with then State Rep/State Senator Victor Crist for several years in that area... USF was one of a number of that area's larger entities (the mall, the hospital, etc) that worked to make the area better... building a handful of restaurants and stores is not gonna do it. Otherwise the new developments on Fowler and Fletcher in the last 25 years would have had more of an impact.  It actually can hurt to try something when you know ahead of time it is quite unlikely to succeed because of all that has gone before -- because spending time, effort, and energy on a doomed endeavor means you're not focusing on something that could actually work.

I know we're speculating here... and the June BOT update will give us more info... I just think you're overestimating the benefits that part of the stadium project will bring.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

4 hours ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Nice to know that if you need to do a quick beer run during a tailgate, you can send someone on foot to publix.  Publix would be advised to stock up on beer and ice on gamedays.

Isn't there some kind of rule that they have to have a separate store for alcohol in Florida? 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

20 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Isn't there some kind of rule that they have to have a separate store for alcohol in Florida? 

Beer and wine can be sold in the grocery store.  If they want to sell liquor, they need a separate building.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

54 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I worked with then State Rep/State Senator Victor Crist for several years in that area... USF was one of a number of that area's larger entities (the mall, the hospital, etc) that worked to make the area better... building a handful of restaurants and stores is not gonna do it. Otherwise the new developments on Fowler and Fletcher in the last 25 years would have had more of an impact.  It actually can hurt to try something when you know ahead of time it is quite unlikely to succeed because of all that has gone before -- because spending time, effort, and energy on a doomed endeavor means you're not focusing on something that could actually work.

I know we're speculating here... and the June BOT update will give us more info... I just think you're overestimating the benefits that part of the stadium project will bring.

As someone who teaches, publishes, and consults (albeit on much smaller scale than Tampa) in this area, I would also state that it is about political connections. I would still parcel this out with political and influential stakeholders for their input before going the common route. I still believe that an opportunity is here if someone is bold enough financially, politically, and economically to consider it. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

As someone who teaches, publishes, and consults (albeit on much smaller scale than Tampa) in this area, I would also state that it is about political connections. I would still parcel this out with political and influential stakeholders for their input before going the common route. I still believe that an opportunity is here if someone is bold enough financially, politically, and economically to consider it. 

NEB, I completely agree with you. Here in the Metro Detroit area, we have seen what politics can build and destroy. It took a man (Dan Gilbert) with a vision and motivation to really get things going in Detroit’s improvement; and sometimes that all it takes. There are not many times that a large facility and attraction is built; and to not try and take every opportunity to maximize its benefits would be foolish. Having the right connections and vision is paramount. Proper planning is the key. We all have visions of would we would like it to be; but at the end of the day, it IS an opportunity and we should aim to hit a home run with it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

On 3/9/2022 at 9:42 AM, E.T. said:
stadium-article.jpg

The University of South Florida’s vision to build an on-campus football stadium took a significant step forward today, with a recommended site selected and a $5 million...

What is north of USF Holly Drive? More potential tailgating?

Expecting to use this area where the Greek Village is to tailgate/parking?