• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Of OCS Interest

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

26 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

All of this talk about an OCS improving the area around USF is irrelevant.  It will greatly improve the campus atmosphere and game day atmosphere, and improve the student engagement and develop more school loyalty.  The area around campus will always be the hood and I am ok with that, my loyalty is to the school and not to suitcase city.  

This is a perfect summary of what will happen.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

As someone said earlier, the low rents that attract students, also attracts lower income people. The neighborhood becomes transient because neither of those two groups stay long in one place. This is a problem all over, unless you have a school that is surrounded by an  established affluent area.

The OCS won’t change the area, but it will make student life better, with football on campus as well as other events. There might be some restaurants around it but they will really be catering to students and those attending games, so more likely fast food or chain bar food restaurants.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,064
  • Days Won:  38

They could turn Nebraska Ave into one of those fake "live-work-play 5 dollar cupcakes and drinks in Mason jars with elderflower" type areas.

• Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,334
  • Days Won:  10

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Jobs are low paying and part time, construction is temporary.  The place is littered with section 8 and until they start pulling permits and displacing residents it will never recover.  The stadium could help some but the area for the most part is ass so I say embrace the hood and name the stadium suitcase stadium.

I did not think the Temple Terrace side of the campus was bad. I lived there and it was ok.   Now when I lived on the University Mall side, Wow.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

ASU borders its campus with higher paying professional jobs with companies such as State Farm, Carvana.  A far better effect than what restaurants would accomplish with low income jobs. ASU leases campus property to roll in the dough.  They do things I don’t agree with like move their baseball team off campus (enticing revenue opps to tear down stadium) and close down their on-campus golf course but it’s all to make more money. Big money.  Higher earnings, higher rents.  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

33 minutes ago, Brad said:

ASU borders its campus with higher paying professional jobs with companies such as State Farm, Carvana.  A far better effect than what restaurants would accomplish with low income jobs. ASU leases campus property to roll in the dough.  They do things I don’t agree with like move their baseball team off campus (enticing revenue opps to tear down stadium) and close down their on-campus golf course but it’s all to make more money. Big money.  Higher earnings, higher rents.  

That’s the only way to change the area. Restaurants etc won’t do it. 

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

There is already new construction going on around the old University Mall. Don't know how pervasive it is but looks different driving around that area.

The plan is to make it Rithm@Uptown.  Here are some of the details with renderings:

44409_00_N4_large-e1592419111700.jpg

Architects, Engineers, Interior Designers, Planners

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Lease it out to the Tampa Bandits

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Lease it out to the Tampa Bandits

If they are still around in three years after playing the first two seasons in Birmingham, that would be a good use of the stadium during the spring.