• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Of OCS Interest

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Actually, I don't think we'll see any direct rental fees there.  Restaurants will be operated by Aramark (as they are across campus, including the Yuengling Center) and retail outlets might be managed by Follett (who operates the bookstore and, I think, the USF Bulls Store in the Y.C.).  The contracts for those operators will increase to be sure, which might be enough to use as part of the source of bond payments, but they likely won't be traditional commercial leases.

There will be more than 6 home games, but not that many... Go look at that school out east -- UCF doesn't show any events at their stadium other than UCF football.  Plus, 35000-40000 is small for "stadium" shows like Taylor Swift or Kenny Chesney and large for "arena" shows that can play the Amphitheatre or Amalie ... and with competition from RayJay and wherever the Rays play, there may not be a lot of concerts or monster truck shows coming to USF campus... certainly not enough for USF to count on for revenue.

Just my own thoughts...

I don’t know if I agree with that. I would think it would be smarter to open it up to the market place to determine who wants to move in. I don’t believe any of the current on campus enterprises have an exclusive right contractually. Or if they do, that could certainly be challenged. I would still think some moderately popular entertainers could perform there. But time will tell for all of this. As I stated on a previous post, I am not going to get excited until I know what the finances are and what the actual timeline is going to be.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  480
  • Days Won:  0

25 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Actually, I don't think we'll see any direct rental fees there.  Restaurants will be operated by Aramark (as they are across campus, including the Yuengling Center) and retail outlets might be managed by Follett (who operates the bookstore and, I think, the USF Bulls Store in the Y.C.).  The contracts for those operators will increase to be sure, which might be enough to use as part of the source of bond payments, but they likely won't be traditional commercial leases.

There will be more than 6 home games, but not that many... Go look at that school out east -- UCF doesn't show any events at their stadium other than UCF football.  Plus, 35000-40000 is small for "stadium" shows like Taylor Swift or Kenny Chesney and large for "arena" shows that can play the Amphitheatre or Amalie ... and with competition from RayJay and wherever the Rays play, there may not be a lot of concerts or monster truck shows coming to USF campus... certainly not enough for USF to count on for revenue.

Just my own thoughts...

They have multiple bowl games and had a minor league football team use their field before Covid happened.  The revenue will be there, I just worry the expenses will eclipse the revenue like it does at a lot of places, like CSU, which ironically is the situation many here try to bring here.  

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,020
  • Days Won:  38

I can't emphasize enough how cool this is and how it will change the entire vibe of the program.  They said it would never happen in our lifetime.  UCF getting called up was probably the best thing to snap us into reality.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,020
  • Days Won:  38

On 3/7/2022 at 10:58 AM, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s not too late. The ACC will be losing a few teams by their next contract. Stay patient there is a path. 

The ACC has always been my dream conference.  I would road game to the max...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

38 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I can't emphasize enough how cool this is and how it will change the entire vibe of the program.  They said it would never happen in our lifetime.  UCF getting called up was probably the best thing to snap us into reality.

You are probably right.  I think the week that UCF got the Big 12 invite and we were blown out by NC State was rock bottom for the program.  Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom to get things turned around.  Whatever the case, I am glad athletics is finally finally finally waking up.

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

So the timeline is getting approved this summer, about 2 years of "design" and 2 years of building . . . hope we can for 2026. Sofa King glad we have a timeline.

• Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

stadium-article.jpg

The University of South Florida’s vision to build an on-campus football stadium took a significant step forward today, with a recommended site selected and a $5 million...

What is north of USF Holly Drive? More potential tailgating?

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

12 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I don’t know if I agree with that. I would think it would be smarter to open it up to the market place to determine who wants to move in. I don’t believe any of the current on campus enterprises have an exclusive right contractually. Or if they do, that could certainly be challenged. I would still think some moderately popular entertainers could perform there. But time will tell for all of this. As I stated on a previous post, I am not going to get excited until I know what the finances are and what the actual timeline is going to be.

The Aramark contract is campus-wide, exclusive, and has been for years - and will be through 2029 at least.  Before that it was Sodexo Marriott.  It is not likely to be challenged, and USF is unlikely to change just for a handful of places that will primarily service on-campus students.  Unless the stadium is a one-of-a-kind, most people will not drive by all the restaurants on Fowler and Fletcher if there is nothing happening on campus... I mean, do you drive across town to go to a place that is the same as (or nearly the same as) something that is near you?  I know I don't ... unless it is the only location in town.

Follet is probably not exclusice, but there are only the two retail locations (USF Bookstore and Bulls Team Store) - and the online shop is run by Fanatics... and not really sure what kind of store would go there beyond a team store.

I think you are overestimating the usage of the stadium... if you search around for comparable stadiums across the country, you'll see outside of the football games, there just aren't that many events.  Especially in major metropolitan areas with multiple stadium-size venues.  Husky Stadium at UW in Seattle, only UW football games.  Maryland Stadium in the DC area, only UMd football games.  Alumni Stadium at Boston College, only BC football games.  Yes, these venues are more established -- but having events at college on-campus stadiums is very much the exception.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

The Aramark contract is campus-wide, exclusive, and has been for years - and will be through 2029 at least.  Before that it was Sodexo Marriott.  It is not likely to be challenged, and USF is unlikely to change just for a handful of places that will primarily service on-campus students.  Unless the stadium is a one-of-a-kind, most people will not drive by all the restaurants on Fowler and Fletcher if there is nothing happening on campus... I mean, do you drive across town to go to a place that is the same as (or nearly the same as) something that is near you?  I know I don't ... unless it is the only location in town.

Follet is probably not exclusice, but there are only the two retail locations (USF Bookstore and Bulls Team Store) - and the online shop is run by Fanatics... and not really sure what kind of store would go there beyond a team store.

I think you are overestimating the usage of the stadium... if you search around for comparable stadiums across the country, you'll see outside of the football games, there just aren't that many events.  Especially in major metropolitan areas with multiple stadium-size venues.  Husky Stadium at UW in Seattle, only UW football games.  Maryland Stadium in the DC area, only UMd football games.  Alumni Stadium at Boston College, only BC football games.  Yes, these venues are more established -- but having events at college on-campus stadiums is very much the exception.

In terms of driving to a stadium location the stadium itself is irrelevant as long as the shops around it are decent. Many NFL teams have this now with upscale stores and restaurants (see LA and New England). If someone has the proper understanding of urban development this could become much more than a few lousy bars and fast food stops (which by then the Sodexo contract being done by then). 

In terms of use, I can see the soccer program playing there (assuming we have turf) which could mean the soccer stadium gets replaced with something more academic. Also, if the stadium is designed with a corporate room, it would be a great place for companies to have meetings and social events relative to the view) and get companies on campus (which could have a financial impact). Again, to pull this all off we really need people who are creative and can think outside the box beyond “just using a stadium six times a year.”

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  6

I have noticed that the last few seasons, central florida has played seven home games and five road games.  I wonder if we will also schedule seven home games once our stadium is built.