• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Of OCS Interest

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I'm assuming the "urban blight" that needs to be cleaned up is suitcase city and I'm kind of at a loss as to how the proposed stadium and it's location can be incorporated to have any effect whatsoever on that area over there ....

The birth of a football stadium CAN (not a for sure thing, but is possible) help “urban blight” on a couple of levels. First, it helps create jobs for construction, design and engineering. Second, would be the jobs created for working the vendors at the stadium, maintenance and security. This helps create a new source of income and spending and the improvement of the quality of life for those new employees. Third, is the possibility of new business and investments. With the increase of traffic, there is an opportunity for business ventures, be it, bars, apparel shops, restaurants to start with. As new nice places to eat, drink and shop pop up, there is more of an interest to live closer to that area. That is where real estate people if interested, can then clean up blighted areas to build new homes to sell or rent. Again, it takes a person with vision, money and motivation to do it, but that’s how it can start. There have been studies on the impact of stadiums that have little real impact on local economies, but there are examples of stadiums making a difference. That’s why I say it CAN help, and if the stadium is going to happen, we should try and maximize its impact. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

8 hours ago, michibull said:

The birth of a football stadium CAN (not a for sure thing, but is possible) help “urban blight” on a couple of levels. First, it helps create jobs for construction, design and engineering. Second, would be the jobs created for working the vendors at the stadium, maintenance and security. This helps create a new source of income and spending and the improvement of the quality of life for those new employees. Third, is the possibility of new business and investments. With the increase of traffic, there is an opportunity for business ventures, be it, bars, apparel shops, restaurants to start with. As new nice places to eat, drink and shop pop up, there is more of an interest to live closer to that area. That is where real estate people if interested, can then clean up blighted areas to build new homes to sell or rent. Again, it takes a person with vision, money and motivation to do it, but that’s how it can start. There have been studies on the impact of stadiums that have little real impact on local economies, but there are examples of stadiums making a difference. That’s why I say it CAN help, and if the stadium is going to happen, we should try and maximize its impact. 

Jobs are low paying and part time, construction is temporary.  The place is littered with section 8 and until they start pulling permits and displacing residents it will never recover.  The stadium could help some but the area for the most part is ass so I say embrace the hood and name the stadium suitcase stadium.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

There is already new construction going on around the old University Mall. Don't know how pervasive it is but looks different driving around that area.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I am 100% behind the OCS, however I live in Tampa, was born and raised in Tampa and graduated from USF and can say that I never ever go down to the area around the university for dining or entertainment.  The only time I get on campus is for work, a bball game every now and then or my once a year trip to the bookstore for gear.  The area around the university is a **** hole.  The area behind the VA between Fowler and Fletcher is a demilitarized zone.  I’m not sure a few restaurants in and around the OCS will be enough to get me there without a game.  To quote Chuckles, that area needs a good scrubbin.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

11 hours ago, Triple B said:

I'm assuming the "urban blight" that needs to be cleaned up is suitcase city and I'm kind of at a loss as to how the proposed stadium and it's location can be incorporated to have any effect whatsoever on that area over there ....

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner Johnny!

USF has tried for decades to help clean up the area... they've been supportive of both City (south of Fowler) and County (north of Fowler) government efforts as well as the community initiatives that have had some impact there.  It's better than 30 years ago... but cheap rent that helps students also attracts others with lower income... so we're not gonna see higher-end stores and restaurants move into that area instead of New Tampa or Carrollwood or other nearby communities with populations with higher income.

The aspirations are good... but this is not a case of "if you build it they will come"... as the last three decades can attest.

• Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

I think the extra traffic will hopefully give existing businesses operating on a shoestring the chance to upgrade and grow revenues a bit. I'm not sure how much NEW business will occur simply because we build an OCS.  Hopefully there will be 10-12 events per year with 6-7 games, concerts/events where the capacity is a match for the market (concert capacity of 30,000 will be unique for west central Florida), and high school soccer/football tournaments/championships.

There must have been some calculation of the number of games/events attainable in past feasibility studies.

GO BULLS!

10 hours ago, michibull said:

There is a difference between baseball stadiums and hockey arena... College football stadiums are only used a handful of times per year... let's say there are seven home games (as a G5 that will be nearly impossible)... plus the spring game.  For most colleges, that is ALL they get... but some here think more optimistically, so let's say USF is able to get 10 more events per year... less than 20 days of work will not help that much for those working at the stadium... and 20 events are certainly not going to attract a significant volume of traffic. 

You are also forgetting what is surrounding that area.  North of Fletcher is a wetland and the USF golf course -- so none of that will be developed... on the east side of 50th street, behind the apartment complexes, is a fully-built-out residential neighborhood that is part of the City of Temple Terrace.  There won't be "new business and investments" in the immediate vicinity of the stadium.

The Rays proposal for Ybor City could easily have the impact you're describing... but not a USF football stadium.

6 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

I think the extra traffic will hopefully give existing businesses operating on a shoestring the chance to upgrade and grow revenues a bit. I'm not sure how much NEW business will occur simply because we build an OCS.  Hopefully there will be 10-12 events per year with 6-7 games, concerts/events where the capacity is a match for the market (concert capacity of 30,000 will be unique for west central Florida), and high school soccer/football tournaments/championships.

There must have been some calculation of the number of games/events attainable in past feasibility studies.

GO BULLS!

Will there be other events at the stadium? Sure...  Can you predict exactly how many there will be? No... and when you're talking about paying a debt (construction bonds), you need predictable sources of income. 

You are right that Tampa doesn't have a stadium that is in the 30-40k range for concerts... but Amelia and the Amphitheater both seat 20k... but the stadium proposed for the Rays in Ybor was 27k... and Tropicana Field holds 42k... and RayJay's lower bowl is 44k... so there is clearly a significant number of venues for concerts and other events.

I will say it again... look around the country.  Look at OCS facilities in major cities... and how few events they have outside of university football games.  What magic does USF have that all of these other universities do not?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

All of this talk about an OCS improving the area around USF is irrelevant.  It will greatly improve the campus atmosphere and game day atmosphere, and improve the student engagement and develop more school loyalty.  The area around campus will always be the hood and I am ok with that, my loyalty is to the school and not to suitcase city.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

11 hours ago, JTrue said:

Tennis isn't that far behind our football team in wins the last few years against other football teams. We might not want to write them off just yet.

Nope, not about the team-just going for poss other uses of courts. maybe tailgate area? porta john area? alumni pep rally area? nursery area just drop your kid off inside the fence? so many possibilities....😉