• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott signed to an extension

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  91
  • Days Won:  1

28 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

If you count Athletic Directors, Doug Woolard's extension is easily the worst.  He completely failed to build the football program when it mattered most.

We're sitting here arguing about a 3-18 extension, for a coach in the AAC, because Woolard got an extension that made him

"the fourth-highest paid athletic director out of the Big East's eight football schools."

and instead of getting us an IPF, a stadium or positioned for the collapse of the Big East...he gave us this:

"on the same day (as Woolard's extension) he signed an extension for football coach Skip Holtz".

Which my god, in hindsight extending a coach who beat Notre Dame and Clemson and won CUSA championships/coach of year accolades seems *genius* compared to what we did a few weeks ago.

At least this time though our AD recognizes the need for facilities.  So that's what you have to focus on to feel better...

I agree with most of your statements.  Doug Woolard not the smartest man at making coaching hires for sure.  But if I'm not mistaken, he was in charge during the Baseball/Softball/Soccer/Basketball facility upgrades.  So there is that.......but as far as advancing the Football side of things.........UGH!!!!

Edited by JonesyBucs

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, JonesyBucs said:

But if I'm not mistaken, he was in charge during the Basebass/Softball/Soccer/Basketball facility upgrades.  So there is that.......but as far as advancing the Football side of things.........UGH!!!!

Yeah I know the Sun Dome was upgraded under his watch, but how much money can basketball/other sports bring in compared to football?  To me, that's a huge the opportunity cost....not investing in the right things.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,600
  • Days Won:  424

27 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

Yeah I know the Sun Dome was upgraded under his watch, but how much money can basketball/other sports bring in compared to football?  To me, that's a huge the opportunity cost....not investing in the right things.

It's the Athletics Director not the Football Director. The facilities upgraded were a ******* joke when compared to like programs. You strike while the iron's hot and have the means to do those upgrades. Only problem I've got about facilities back then was there should have been more done to lay groundwork for an IPF ....... assuming that wasn't attempted.

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

I think that’s baffling part, his reasoning is dumb. No other ad on the entire earth had a similar idea because it is a stupid idea that only a stupid person would have and when you have a gfi that no one else follows it’s a sign you are dumb and not long for this world.

Shouldn't be to you. You obviously think he's stupid so why would a dumb move be baffling?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, JonesyBucs said:

That's what worries me.  It hasn't worked out very well for us historically, has it?

Unlike most, I still feel pretty good about CJS.  He was brought into the worse conditions with the team talent being depleted, restrictions with Covid, etc.  BUT this year is shiiite or get off the **** pot......Time to start producing now.

It worries me as well, but what can you do? We all need to support the football program and hope for success this year. This upcoming season is arguably the most important ever. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It's the Athletics Director not the Football Director. 

Without football money there isn't going to be a lot of athletic programs for our director to worry about.  And I just looked it up, we spent 36 million in 2011/2012 dollars renovating the Sun Dome.  Considering we average a couple thousand fans *when the team is good* and the fact that football (not bball) drives tv deals and realignment... that's a bad return on investment.

Now think about football and how in 2017 we wanted to spend 40 million for the IPF *and* football facility.  That went nowhere until 2021 when we only managed to get the IPF part going (football only facility still a TBD).  Due to our lack of investment our recruiting has tanked, our on field performance has tanked, and coincidentally we have missed out on realignment again because no one wants to watch us on tv.  You invest that 36 million in football back in 2012 instead of basketball and I bet USF has a better decade and better shot at getting the Big12 nod (and payday) over UCF.

So yeah I mean you can be pedantic about the job title or realistic about what moves the needle in the college landscape, and it's football.  And Woolard utterly failed football/athletics when it mattered most in our history.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

Without football money there isn't going to be a lot of athletic programs for our director to worry about.  And I just looked it up, we spent 36 million in 2011/2012 dollars renovating the Sun Dome.  Considering we average a couple thousand fans *when the team is good* and the fact that football (not bball) drives tv deals and realignment... that's a bad return on investment.

Now think about football and how in 2017 we wanted to spend 40 million for the IPF *and* football facility.  That went nowhere until 2021 when we only managed to get the IPF part going (football only facility still a TBD).  Due to our lack of investment our recruiting has tanked, our on field performance has tanked, and coincidentally we have missed out on realignment again because no one wants to watch us on tv.  You invest that 36 million in football back in 2012 instead of basketball and I bet USF has a better decade and better shot at getting the Big12 nod (and payday) over UCF.

So yeah I mean you can be pedantic about the job title or realistic about what moves the needle in the college landscape, and it's football.  And Woolard utterly failed football/athletics when it mattered most in our history.

Just talking The Muma versus an IPF at that point in time is lot closer argument. Although there are several, more significant, factors that played a part in our current football predicament, the lack of an ipf probably contributed somewhat...... although CJL and CWT seemed to overcome that obstacle, to a degree. Who knows, if DW had had a crystal ball and seen that we weren't going to be in one of the premier hoops conferences in several years, and wouldn't have BCS money coming in, maybe the ipf would have been a priority at that point ............. but who knows.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,355
  • Days Won:  8

2 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

. . . And I just looked it up, we spent 36 million in 2011/2012 dollars renovating the Sun Dome.  Considering we average a couple thousand fans *when the team is good* and the fact that football (not bball) drives tv deals and realignment... that's a bad return on investment. . .

Keep in mind that the Sun Dome is a multi-use University facility that supports 3 varsity sports teams, commencement, concerts/other traveling entertainment, summer sports camps as well as other university functions 

The decision to renovate the Sun Dome over other athletic projects was probably driven just as much outside athletics as within 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

Not sure if it was Woolard, but it has been painfully obvious that whoever is making the decisions for USF football has failed miserably since 03-04.

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

Shouldn't be to you. You obviously think he's stupid so why would a dumb move be baffling?

I don’t know that I have always found him stupid, simply questioned if he was the right fit for the time. However stupid is as stupid does and if you think the fair thing to do in life is to continue to fleece the donors because they are obligated to give you money that you can waste giving non merit based extensions to everyone that’s stupid. How is it fair that if you succeeded, which was obviously possible, you get an extension and if you fail miserably guess what you get an extension too. The fair thing in life is to trim the fat which benefits everyone, keeping people around that are bad at the jobs isn’t fair to anyone including the person that has to wake up every morning knowing that they suck and everyone hates them. Extending people just because is lazy cowardice and the opposite of leadership, it’s disgusting.

Edited by puc86