• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

name some of the USF bars/restaurants you used to frequent as a student

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

16 hours ago, MikeG said:

Anyone ever hang out at Putters? It was off Bruce B Downs near Hunters Green in a strip mall. Had putting greens you could play for free in the middle. Decent night crowd for a while and cheap drinks.

I recall meeting local sports caster Chris Thomas there once. What a sloppy drunk clown he was - probably alcoholic.

I used to go there on either Saturdays or Sundays to watch football. I also saw him there, pretty sure he lived in either Tampa palms or Hunters green. He drank like 6-8 beers, chain smoked Marlboro reds and did the news later that day like nothing happened,  he was an alcoholic, he died young, remember he got a DUI driving home from Hat tricks, him and Dumeg (sp) were good drinking friends. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

3 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Yep, used to troll there, Thursday night 2 dollar pitchers at Tijuana yacht club right down the street from there.  Calico Jacks was cool on Dale Mabry also, copper top was a good place to watch the Bucs when they were blacked out.  Kasey’s Kove on Wednesday for quarter wings was nice.  However nickel beer on Monday at CC’s, Tuesday 5 bucks bring your own mug, Wednesday ladies night was lame but Thursday 5 dollars all you can drink and the kill a keg on Friday and Saturday night.  I also loved burst your bladder free beer  until someone used the bathroom, many fights broke out during that. 

I remember all those places.  There was a “place to be” for every night of the week.  Then the dynamic changed in the 90s as people became more interested in heading to ybor city instead of staying local.  At least that’s how I remember it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

I remember all those places.  There was a “place to be” for every night of the week.  Then the dynamic changed in the 90s as people became more interested in heading to ybor city instead of staying local.  At least that’s how I remember it.

I graduated in 93 so Ybor was more of just a weekend place, but I do remember it start to switch, CC’s closing down hurt, I did a few after party’s there, buddies were bouncers, CC was doing a ton of coke and I am sure this led to the demise, last I checked it was a pawn shop much like everything else around there.  I forgot CDB’a late night with the guy playing the acoustic guitar singing bye bye Miss American pie.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

5 hours ago, hightechbull said:

There was some dumpy alternative music dance club not to far away from campus back in the 90's.  I do not remember the name of that place.  I met a girl at that place and we dated while I was at USF.

DNA

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,439
  • Days Won:  19

I graduated so long ago it seems that we drank in speakeasies.  But the good news was that the drinking age was 18 back then so I was legal even in high school.

Since the drinking age was raised there were so many that closed and so many I have long forgotten. But some of them were Coppertop, the Greenery, the Proud Lion Pub and, when I wanted to rock, the Agora Ballroom.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,634
  • Days Won:  6

7 hours ago, SilverBull said:

I graduated so long ago it seems that we drank in speakeasies.  But the good news was that the drinking age was 18 back then so I was legal even in high school.

Since the drinking age was raised there were so many that closed and so many I have long forgotten. But some of them were Coppertop, the Greenery, the Proud Lion Pub and, when I wanted to rock, the Agora Ballroom.  

I'm from Cleveland and finding an Agora here was awesome.  Such great times there though it only lasted a few years. Also Buffalo Roadhouse was my intro to punk back in the day.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Love reading about all these bars.  Really miss those days.  All good places, but for me, none of them beat a raging multi-kegger good old fashioned apartment party.  Village square usually had some good ones with those 4 bedroom apartments.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,367
  • Days Won:  25

On 10/16/2021 at 8:24 PM, Bull Nut said:

Greenery, Tia's, Bull Ring, UA Hangout, Sloppertop, and Peabody's are a few that come to mind.

Did you go to school o7-09 years?  Sounds like all the places I would go lol. Was it called the bull ring or bull run, that was the place for nickel beers right?

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Did you go to school o7-09 years?  Sounds like all the places I would go lol. Was it called the bull ring or bull run, that was the place for nickel beers right?

Graduated in '06. I thought it was called the bull ring, but those nights were usually a little fuzzy LOL. I remember nickel beer night at UA hangout as well... Pretty sure I drank off a St Patty's Day green beer keg in October at UA hangout 😂. Good times

1 hour ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Love reading about all these bars.  Really miss those days.  All good places, but for me, none of them beat a raging multi-kegger good old fashioned apartment party.  Village square usually had some good ones with those 4 bedroom apartments.

Yep at the corner of Fletcher and 50th, spent many nights partying there as well.