• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

name some of the USF bars/restaurants you used to frequent as a student

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,332
  • Content Count:  21,301
  • Days Won:  10

On 10/19/2021 at 5:54 PM, ahoyboy said:

Casey’s Cove. .25 cent beer night. 

Kasey Kove best wings and the beer made me sick.  I think they did not clean their lines.  I switched to bottles and things got better.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

12 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

Gladstone’s Asss Kickin Chicken

Loved that place and ate their a couple times a week for 4 years, great hangover meal, chicken, salad with their house dressing and pita bread with butter along with I think mashed potatoes.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

Anyone old enough to remember the bar at Nebraska and 131st across from Robbins lumber (1964) THINK IT WAS OWNED BY A PROFESSOR. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  141
  • Days Won:  0

I didn't see anyone mention Nemo's Pub.  The dump of all dumps in my day (mid 1970s) was Nemo's Pub.  It was way east on Fowler, near where Morris Bridge Road crossed Fowler.  I remember that particularly dangerous intersection for a tragic bike vs automovbile accident involving a USF student there.  I saw Proud Lion Mentioned, which was hardly a dump by comparison.  I used to go to the one on Busch Blvd in the corner of a shopping plaza with Ponderosa/Bonanza Steakhouse/whatever anchoring that particular shopping area.  In the years that followed USF, I would go back to Tampa and visited Morgan's Pub like someone else mentioned, the sign more often than not read Orgasm Pub.  It was actually upscale inside compared to others.  Same for Mad Hatter and Robiconti's in the Holiday Inn.  Those were pickup joints though.  Another memorable dump was at the end of 131st Street called Tomfooleries.  Not the cleanest place, with a ton of peanut shells always on the floor.  You'd literally step up about a foot as you went through the door.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

The OP mentions Rickys.  I remember it was Rickys, then Casco’s, then Mirrors (I think) then it was “the smart ox” … and then it turned into a strip club.  No matter what name it was, I liked that place.  Monday night was the night there.  Think it was dollar pitchers.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  150

just want to point out that I used the term "dumpy" not to describe that all the places were disgusting or that you had to only talk about places most would think of as dive bars. I mean-- take Proud Lion Pub (off Dale Mabry and near Fletcher) -- I used to go to that place almost every night with wife (we had an apartment across the street at Country Place Apartments)-- getting beers and usually the enormous Powerhouse turkey/cheese/bacon sandwich. They had to move eventually as we ha some terrible weather that led to the roof collapsing.

I used to love a good dive bar. Anyway-- that reminded me of one we used to hit to get some fast drinks that was in downtown Tampa - They served liquor drinks in plastic cups and many of the regulars there were hobos or so it seemed. Dinky little corner bar place near the railroad tracks on Franklin Street. The Hub 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

The Hub was a classic, all drinks were doubles, cheap, strong  and a nice warm up to get the night started. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,343
  • Days Won:  5

23 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

The Hub was a classic, all drinks were doubles, cheap, strong  and a nice warm up to get the night started. 

Only bar that got their liquor license suspended for serving too much. I miss this attitude. Sucks getting a drink at at bar these days.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  356

On 10/17/2021 at 2:00 PM, Friscobull said:

I graduated in 93 so Ybor was more of just a weekend place, but I do remember it start to switch, CC’s closing down hurt, I did a few after party’s there, buddies were bouncers, CC was doing a ton of coke and I am sure this led to the demise, last I checked it was a pawn shop much like everything else around there.  I forgot CDB’a late night with the guy playing the acoustic guitar singing bye bye Miss American pie.  

1990ish Thursday night...Happy hour at Chilis, $1.50 mixed drinks at Sydney's and then late night at CDBs to sing American Pie with the entire bar!

Late 80s, Thursday night was $5 all you can drink at CCs

Crazy to think that we went out 6 nights a week and somehow graduated!

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  356

On 10/24/2021 at 6:50 PM, MaltLiquorBull said:

The OP mentions Rickys.  I remember it was Rickys, then Casco’s, then Mirrors (I think) 

Yep, Monday night at Mirrors in the late 80s.