• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

name some of the USF bars/restaurants you used to frequent as a student

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, MikeG said:

Technically it was in the first original thread post that started this-- I just called it by the wrong name.

Ah, I see it now.  Don't think anyone has mentioned Skidz yet either. 

• Topic Count:  1,032
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Days Won:  10

If you are looking for a dive bar near campus, there was Morgan's Pub on Fletcher near 15th.  They had one of those portable signs on wheels and someone was constantly changing the name to "orgasm"

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,521
  • Days Won:  3

4 hours ago, MikeG said:

Recalling the days of the Empty Keg got me thinking.

First one I remember was Ricky's on Fletcher near an off campus bookstore. I think this was replaced by some wing place that went down fast and then eventually became a lame strip club (can't recall the name).

Of course- everyone remembers CC's- a little further down the street. Famous for nickel beer nights and other cheap specials-- the floors were sticky. Across the street a bit (and still there I believe) is the Brass Mug in the same complex as the Wooden NIckel head shop.

Good lord-- there were lots of places to go invibe. Daytime drinking fun could be had in the mall at Mr Dunderbaks.

I think I only went once to a place called "The Grog" which got knocked down/replaced 1985 or so by some fast food place (not McDonalds but next to it) - cheap ass beer but a a dump. AAt some point-- the old BBQ place across the street got renovated and was sort of fun for a while -- called Montana's (early 1990s).

A slight upgrade to that was across the street (eventually next to the ABC liquor lounge) called the Time Tunnel Pub (picture below-- not of me).

5-2-48.png.df3114e21933f2d749bf7db84532111f.png

Can't quite remember the name of that one bar across from the Phi Delt house-- Tavern on the Green? or something like that.

Oooh yeah-- Kasey's Kove on Fowler-- gross ceiling but decent wings. Of course the Coppertop Pub also on Fowler (eventually had a Beef O'Brady's across the street)- did that get changed into a CDB's at some point? Think it is closed now-- not sure about the CDB's that was at Fowler and 30th street. 

Tons more I am missing of course-- this is just a starter---- throw in your thoughts and let's let this football thing take a break.

Brass Mug still exists, just at a different location. I think the place across from the Phi Delt house I knew as The Greenery. My favorite spot was Coppertop, it does not exist anymore.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

There was some dumpy alternative music dance club not to far away from campus back in the 90's.  I do not remember the name of that place.  I met a girl at that place and we dated while I was at USF.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

10 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

Brass Mug still exists, just at a different location. I think the place across from the Phi Delt house I knew as The Greenery. My favorite spot was Coppertop, it does not exist anymore.

Brass Mug has become a heavy metal place in its new location.   It is off Skipper Road (not really near Skipper's Smoke House) and that location hosted several USF area clubs.  The last time I was at that place prior to covid the place was falling apart.  Drywall was falling off the ceiling and the roof leaked when it rained.   Some guys I knew were playing and there were buckets on the stage to collect water.  The guitarist was annoyed with them and kicked on over when their set was done.  🤣

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

14 hours ago, MikeG said:

Anyone ever hang out at Putters? It was off Bruce B Downs near Hunters Green in a strip mall. Had putting greens you could play for free in the middle. Decent night crowd for a while and cheap drinks.

I recall meeting local sports caster Chris Thomas there once. What a sloppy drunk clown he was - probably alcoholic.

Faintly remember this place.  I think I watched the Holyfield/ Foreman fight there.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

Anybody remember a place called Patrick’s in the early 90s off off bearss ave.  Like a night club in a strip mall?   I guess it was more of a club than a dive bar, but I had some good times there.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

14 hours ago, MikeG said:

They both were good-- basically the same shtick. But yeah Jellyrolls was the original one on a nicer corner bar in downtown. Howl was more of a franchise-- I recall one we went to in Orlando (Church Street) occasionally.

Brings me to all the times I met up with my folks at Malio's (~ Kennedy and Dale, since demolished though the one downtown might still exist- not sure). I used to meet my dad for happy hour there quite often and then had some good steak. It is also the bar we went to not long after my mom's funeral to celebrate her life. It was convenient when I started working at the Time Customer Services high rise offices nearby after years at the 30th street facility (next to the Strohs/Pabst/Schlitz/Youngling plant).

A favorite haunt for years for lunch or happy hour was also that Chili's  on 30th and Fowler. Old timer with cheese please!

malio's was a great restaurant

abc  was quite a dive

dr robiconti's accross from usf  and 

the  mad hatter was always packed

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Anybody remember a place called Patrick’s in the early 90s off off bearss ave.  Like a night club in a strip mall?   I guess it was more of a club than a dive bar, but I had some good times there.

Yep, used to troll there, Thursday night 2 dollar pitchers at Tijuana yacht club right down the street from there.  Calico Jacks was cool on Dale Mabry also, copper top was a good place to watch the Bucs when they were blacked out.  Kasey’s Kove on Wednesday for quarter wings was nice.  However nickel beer on Monday at CC’s, Tuesday 5 bucks bring your own mug, Wednesday ladies night was lame but Thursday 5 dollars all you can drink and the kill a keg on Friday and Saturday night.  I also loved burst your bladder free beer  until someone used the bathroom, many fights broke out during that. 

• Upvote 1