• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

name some of the USF bars/restaurants you used to frequent as a student

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

How about the House of Sandwich on 30th Street between between Fowler Avenue and Busch Blvd? I'm sure it was demolished many years ago. My friends and I from Eta dorm in the Andros Center would go their around 9:00-10:00 at night to get a nosh during the week when we were hungry. I'm talking about 1969-1971. Yes, I am old. Not a dumpy bar but a dumpy take out restaurant. This was before Subway and Blimpie and the yummy Publix subs. I doubt any of you have ever heard of the House of Sanwich.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

Oh.  If we are doing food places, too:  Does anyone remember a little dumpy Greek place on Busch Blvd. called (I think it was) "Taste of Gyro"?  They had the best **** Gyros, and they were open until like 4am.  I can remember several times making that drive when I really really shouldn't have.  This would have been circa 1988.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Oh.  If we are doing food places, too:  Does anyone remember a little dumpy Greek place on Busch Blvd. called (I think it was) "Taste of Gyro"?  They had the best **** Gyros, and they were open until like 4am.  I can remember several times making that drive when I really really shouldn't have.  This would have been circa 1988.

I sure do! That friggin place was excellent. The only one that comes close to that is one at MidWay Airport in Chicago. 

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

On 10/16/2021 at 10:22 PM, MikeG said:

moving along a few years later -- and these bars might have had USF students at them as well. I like that some mentioned the SoHo bars like MacDintons.

I was a big fan of Red Dog on Bay to Bay Blvd (appears they changed their name to simply "The Dog")  and Four Green Fields-- had Irish musicians a lot and was packed on St Patty's. Drank a ton of Harp's there.

Pretty sure Red Dog was just a place that gave strippers somewhere to earn money serving drinks on their days off!  Their theme nights were incredible.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

This is a fun thread...I remember many of those names from way back then.  I didn't go to many because I wasn't a big drinker (then).  

Fun topic to start @MikeG

I do remember being called over to an Empty Keg table by my Spanish professor.  We had a couple beers, middle of the day, and then got on with the rest of the day/schedule.  One of my fondest memories of the campus way back then.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,487
  • Days Won:  13

Greenary, Tias, and Peabody's

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

On 10/16/2021 at 6:56 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

The Greenery (spelling?) was a complete dive. Used to have a beer or two with Professor Levy from the political science department. 

I used to live in the apartments that surrounded that place, my back door was literally 100 ft from the side door of that place. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

14 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

I used to live in the apartments that surrounded that place, my back door was literally 100 ft from the side door of that place. 

I would have enjoyed that until I flunked out 😂

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

I have to second Brad's opinion. Definitely a fun thread.  I purposely chose to live in a one bedroom apartment off campus and well west of the university to stay focused.  You see, I knew I was not as smart as the rest of you all and I was determined to graduate totally debt free.  Most of my time then was studying or working.  When we were on break, I worked more hours. Still, I did indulge in a little fun as often as I could by venturing to the Rocket Club especially if a band I wanted to see was performing.  I think some of the guys I went to class with thought it was odd I showed little interest in the women on campus.  Well, my taste in women were more of the rock-n-roll type which could be found at said club.  Every man has his weakness. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Kasey's Kove for me.   Belly up to the bar and get wings and beer.

I went back a couple of years after graduation and was horrified that I used to eat there.   Lol

• Haha 1